cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

any downside to freezing your TransUnion credit report over the phone ?

tag
MojaveMoon
Established Contributor

any downside to freezing your TransUnion credit report over the phone ?

I think TransUnion is the only credit bureau (besides Innovis -- link) that allows you request a security freeze over the telephone.

I don't see why there would be, but I wanted to ask in advance if there's any catch.

Also, it appears that when you request the freeze over the phone, the automated system will request that I create/select my own six digit PIN ?

( link )

By Telephone:

Call 888-909-8872 if you wish to add a Security Freeze to your credit report via telephone. Our interactive voice response system will guide you through the process of adding a Security Freeze. Please have ready your Social Security Number, address, date of birth and the payment method to be used to pay the applicable fee, if any, for the service. Also, be prepared to select a 6-digit Personal Identification number (PIN) to be used for all future Security Freeze transactions. Please refer to the Security Freeze Table for fees (if any). Under certain circumstances, as defined by state law, you may be eligible for reduced fee or free Security Freeze services. The Security Freeze will be added within the time required by your state. After the Security Freeze is added, you will be provided with an information letter that includes your Personal Identification Number (PIN) and instructions on how to lift and permanently remove your security freeze.

Message Edited by MojaveMoon on 12-19-2008 10:06 AM
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
athensguy
Valued Contributor

Re: any downside to freezing your TransUnion credit report over the phone ?

I doubt there is a downside. I froze the big three over the Internet. I still haven't gotten around to freezing Innovis.
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.