cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

any new cards coming out these past few and upcoming months?

tag
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

Re: any new cards coming out these past few and upcoming months?

@Anonymous wrote:

Wait...So I can bring like 3 of my friends and it'll just be a total cost of 25K points?!

There is a limit of 2 people in a bedroom. I doubt you'd be able to comfortably fit a 3rd person in there anyways, even if the rules allowed it.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 91 of 122
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

So...what exactly did you do on the amtrak cabin? haha. Did you just enjoy the ride and take pics along the way like sightseeing or did you visit someone? The redemption sounds ok, but it's what I get to do in the cabin that intrigues me more. lol

It's generally a sightseeing thing, and many people use it as a chance to relax and travel long distances while being able to take in the scenery.

Regarding the other things in the cabin, PM would probably be the better place for that. Smiley Very Happy

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 92 of 122
Open123
Super Contributor

@CreditScholar wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

So...what exactly did you do on the amtrak cabin? haha. Did you just enjoy the ride and take pics along the way like sightseeing or did you visit someone? The redemption sounds ok, but it's what I get to do in the cabin that intrigues me more. lol

It's generally a sightseeing thing, and many people use it as a chance to relax and travel long distances while being able to take in the scenery.

Regarding the other things in the cabin, PM would probably be the better place for that. Smiley Very Happy

LOL...At least for me, I've always been fond of trains and the romantic notion of travelling on them.  When I was growing up, my Grandfather had regaled me with tales of the Pullman sleeper trains when they were in its full glory.  Now as I grow older, I appreciate more my Grandfather's teachings, even choosing to wear the old hand-me-down sports coats he left to me (we're the same build and height, so an exact fit).

Riding on trains allow me some time to refect on history and tradition, which we don't have much of a chance to do in our fast paced modern era.  And, I really miss my Grandfather, and being on the train and wearing his old Sports Coats brings back more vividly those memories that only took a second to make, but lasts a lifetime. Before some misunderstand and find this morbid, some of these old Anderson and Sheppard (from Lurker's part of the world!) bespoke coats far surpass any tailoring available today.  

Message 93 of 122
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Super hard to get approved for is right!!!!!  I tried, rather unsuccessfully I might add, to PC from the Platinum Plus to the new AGR.  Well, that went down in flames.  So I straight up cold apped.... denied!!!  Reasons given in the letter?  Balances to revolving limits too low (BS Excuse), not enough history with BofA (been a cardholder with them since March 2014, another BS Excuse), and FICO score (they pulled EQ, which is at 734, that is the only excuse they gave that seems reasonable).  No baddies to speak of, and AAoA is at 3 years.  So, I may get spunky and Recon... or just wait until January and app again when I go for the Marriott Rewards card.

Wow... forgive my ignorance here, but are they actually implying that they would view you more favorably if you owed more money?

I can understand denying somebody if they think you have too much available credit for your income, but I would think in that case they would simply say so, which they didn't for you. 

I guess????  I don't understand half the things BofA does.  One would think, being a new card, they would be pushing it hard.  But, then again, it is a rather niche market card.  Maybe they just don't think I really ride Amtrak 50+ times a year (10-20 of those trips being long distance trains, and the Autotrain).  Eh, I will get it eventually, I am in no hurry.  I am more irritated at the BS excuses they threw in.  I can understand if they feel a score above 734 is warranted for this card, but the others?  HA! 

uh yeah...10 trips a year alone would make the card with it. 20, a no brainer.

Yeah besides the awesome equally elusive sams MC (UncleB you lucky dog) which is 3%, the only other one would be the citi premier with 3x points so around 5.5% in value.  The great thing about amtrak is, after jan1 the points will be worth 2.625-2.9 cents each, so esentially its almost 14% in return.....  Now the best value would be getting that 20k bonus and using it before jan 1st on a roomette.

I haven't yet looked into other cards as a replacement.  I tend to be somewhat Anal/OCD about what cards I want in my portfolio, every one I have, I have for a reason.  LOL  It is something to consider, but... As I said, I am not in a super hurry to get the card, and patience usually works out in my favor, so I will probably just wait until January, and as I said in an earlier post, try apping again when I app for the Marriott card.  In the meantime, what I may do is, just call up AMEX Platinum concierge and see if there are any strings they can pull!  Never hurts to ask, eh?

not trying to sound rude here, just curious as a multi amex account holder.... what could amex do for booking amtrak travel?  possibly because chase has lost exclusivity? or are u thinking because SPG points transfer maybe they can help?

That was my line of thinking, yes.  And no, I didn't think it was rude.  Perfectly fair question.  I was more or less wondering if maybe my MR's were transferable to AGR points.  And if not (I haven't yet called), then at the very least possibly Platinum concierge may be able to arrange a cheaper or free upgrade of some kind.  Like I said, never hurts to ask!  LOL

Message 94 of 122
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oops 😉

Message 95 of 122
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Open123 wrote:

@CreditScholar wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

LOL...At least for me, I've always been fond of trains and the romantic notion of travelling on them.  When I was growing up, my Grandfather had regaled me with tales of the Pullman sleeper trains when they were in its full glory.  Now as I grow older, I appreciate more my Grandfather's teachings, even choosing to wear the old hand-me-down sports coats he left to me (we're the same build and height, so an exact fit).

Riding on trains allow me some time to refect on history and tradition, which we don't have much of a chance to do in our fast paced modern era.  And, I really miss my Grandfather, and being on the train and wearing his old Sports Coats brings back more vividly those memories that only took a second to make, but lasts a lifetime. Before some misunderstand and find this morbid, some of these old Anderson and Sheppard (from Lurker's part of the world!) bespoke coats far surpass any tailoring available today.  

lol hope this doesnt sound weird, but I could totally envision a train trip or two with you!  I was just at an antique dealer the other day. This guy beat me to the chase on a victorian chair.  He offered it to me, but I refused after he introduced himself. He lives in an apartment, uses no electricity. Uses kerosene only. We didnt talk about plumbing. But he was dressed to the nines and does that everyday!

Message 96 of 122
Open123
Super Contributor

Thanks for those who provided helpful information and insights on the Amtrak program.  20K points for $1,000 spend seems like a pretty good deal, all things considered.  

My app was instantly approved (assume BofA pulled EX, where I have about 12 or 13 HPs).  Not sure if having an existing FIA and BofA deposit account has anything to do with it; on the approval page (though I app'ed cold), I did receive "Thank you for being our customer," or something along those lines.

This seems like an excellent card, and worth the app, in my view.

Message 97 of 122
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

Thanks for those who provided helpful information and insights on the Amtrak program.  20K points for $1,000 spend seems like a pretty good deal, all things considered.  

My app was instantly approved (assume BofA pulled EX, where I have about 12 or 13 HPs).  Not sure if having an existing FIA and BofA deposit account has anything to do with it; on the approval page (though I app'ed cold), I did receive "Thank you for being our customer," or something along those lines.

This seems like an excellent card, and worth the app, in my view.

I would suggest booking in the next few months.

Amtrak is moving to a revenue based program in late Jan 2016, so definitely book before then if you're planning for a bedroom on a long-haul trip.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
Message 98 of 122
Open123
Super Contributor

@CreditScholar wrote:

Amtrak is moving to a revenue based program in late Jan 2016, so definitely book before then if you're planning for a bedroom on a long-haul trip.

Got it.  Thanks for the head's up!

So, I should be safe, so long as I book before the new year?

Message 99 of 122
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Open123 wrote:

@CreditScholar wrote:

Got it.  Thanks for the head's up!

So, I should be safe, so long as I book before the new year?

That depends on what you want to do.  If you want the roomette, then yes, thats probably a wise idea.  But for shorter trips, you will be better off waiting.  Majority of my trips are 1500 points.  Its changing to 800 points jan 24th.  Also you will be able to pay with cash plus points post jan 24th as well.

You will have a companion pass as well that is good for any round trip ticket.  So you could go across the country and I believe the companion ticket would be free. That could be worth hundreds.

http://thepointsguy.com/2015/08/amtrak-rewards-changes/

Message 100 of 122
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.