cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

any very competitive credit cards, but no advertisements?

tag

any very competitive credit cards, but no advertisements?

Hello, everyone.

The best credit cards recommendations often list

barclaycard arrival, rewards;

CO venture one, quicksilver;

amex blue cash, blue sky, delta;

citi simplicity, TYP, AA;

Chase freedom, Mileage, sapphire.

However, some really competitive cards are not highlighted or advertised, to my knowledge, us bank cash+barclays sallie mae, priceline visa.

Is there a complete list of good cards without advertisements?

Credit History 11 months.
1. Capital One Quick Silver Visa CL $500.
2. Citi Forward CL $2000.
3. Discover It CL $2000.
4. Citi TYP CL $2000
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Jungook
Regular Contributor

Re: any very competitive credit cards, but no advertisements?

Not sure about an entire list as that is subject to opinion. 

However, if you just lurk around the forums long enough, you'll begin to notice that the most popular or most talked about cards are generally the best cards.

For example, many people talk about the Chase Sapphire Preferred, AMEX PRG, etc, and they're often talked about because they hold great value in their respected catagory.

Message 2 of 15

Thanks. And cards often shows in forum signatures. XD

3. Discover It CL $2000.
4. Citi TYP CL $2000
Message 3 of 15
red259
Super Contributor

@blackshirts_Ken wrote:

Hello, everyone.

The best credit cards recommendations often list

barclaycard arrival, rewards;

CO venture one, quicksilver;

amex blue cash, blue sky, delta;

citi simplicity, TYP, AA;

Chase freedom, Mileage, sapphire.

However, some really competitive cards are not highlighted or advertised, to my knowledge, us bank cash+barclays sallie mae, priceline visa.

Is there a complete list of good cards without advertisements?

Good cards are going to vary depending on what you are looking for. Some people are into travel rewards and cards like CSP, SPG etc are great for that. Others are into cash rewards and a whole different set of cards is great for that. Yet other people are looking for low APRs and cards that are great for balance transfers. Each list has totally different cards, so everything is going to depend on your goals and what you want to gain from your credit card use. Furthermore, you need to look at what you spend money on and factor that in as some cards give bonuses on gas, restaurants, office supplies, groceries, etc. With travel cards if you have status with certain airlines or hotels that may be a factor, airline hubs you are near could also be a consideration. What may be considered great cards by some people can be lousy cards for others.If you list out your goals people will be more than happy to make suggestions of cards you may want to check out. The more detailed you are in your goals the easier it will be to make appropriate recommendations for cards whether they be well advertised or not so much. The people on this forumn are truly wonderful in their willingness to share their knowledge.  

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 4 of 15
TheConductor
Established Contributor

A complete list would be impossible.  There are a lot of great cards that are great for a specific niche or purpose, but they don't get much advertising or chatter because they are so focused on that purpose. There are also lots of regional cards from credit unions and small banks that may have unique rewards or benefits, but don't get as much notice because of their geographical limitations.

FWIW, here are a few of my thoughts on "sleeper" cards.

Chase Slate gets talked about some, but probably doesn't get as much notice as it deserves for having the perfect balance-transfer 1-2 punch of a 0% interest period and no balance transfer fee.  When the majority of the 0%-period cards have 3% balance transfer fees, that is a huge savings. Depending on the size of your balance, you can easily save as much on the Slate as you would earn in a year on a top rewards card like CSP or BCP.

Saks Fifth Avenue World Elite Mastercard is the only fee-free WEMC I know of, and probably worth it for that alone considering the quality of the WEMC benefits. But word is it requires two triple-pulls from Capital One to get it (one triple for your store charge account  and another for the MC account).  So I haven't jumped on that yet.

TD Bank and Citizens Bank Cashback cards both have temporary 5% cashback periods when you first sign up,  I've seen tales that you can also get temporary 10% on the Citizens by signing up in a branch.  They probably don't get as much noise as cards like the BCP, Discover, and Freedom because the benefits are temporary, but while they last they are great cards.

Fidelity Amex Less talked about because you can only get it through Fidelity.  Sweet 2% cashback on anything and everything.  Assuming you have the means to open an investment account, it's a great card.

Morgan Stanley Amex Platinum Why get the standard platinum that charges $175 for an extra cardholder when this one gets you one additional cardholder for free?

Chase Ritz-Carlton More than a hotel card, it's a reasonable alternative to the Amex Platinum with the $200 airline incidentals, lounge access, and complimentary gold status to not only R-C but Marriott as well. Caveat being that the Amex MR points are more versatile than R-C points.

Starting: EQ 622 (myFICO 7/7/12), EX 696 (TU FAKO 8/14/12), TU 621 (CK TransRisk 7/24/12), Total CL $1k on 2 TLs
Current: EQ 709 (CCT 2/4/15), EX 704 (CCT 2/4/15) , TU 702 (CCT 2/4/15), Total CL $110.3k on 14 TLs Goal: 740+ x3
My Wallet: Amex BCP $30k, Chase United Explorer $16k, Amex SPG $13.5k, Barclaycard Ring MC $12.5k, Chase CSP VS $12.2k, Discover it $10.5k, C1 Venture VS $6.5k, Chase Slate $3.5k, Amex Hilton Surpass $2k, Barclaycard Apple V $2k, Chase Freedom V $1100, BoA Cash Rewards V $500, Citi BestBuy $500
My Loans: Prosper $25k/36mo, Prosper $17k/36mo
My Business: Chase Ink VS $5k, Amex BRG NPSL (> 10k),
Message 5 of 15
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

Keep in mind that "best" and "good" are highly subjective (as stated above multiple times) no matter what the topic so there's no such thing as a universal best list not matter what you're referring to.  If you want suggestions then clearly list out your criteria so people can make recommendations.

Message 6 of 15
Crashem
Valued Contributor

If Priceline 2% is gone, then that card is done as desirable card. The negotiator can go negotiate with himself.
               LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 7 of 15
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

Best category Bonuses:

http://boardingarea.com/frequentmiler/2012/11/09/best-category-bonuses/#comment-324387

For other types, use the Credit Cards pull-down to select other categories of cards, such as best everyday spend, or best signup offers, etc.

PS: I'm working on getting Sallie Mae, Huntington Voice, Chase Freedom, and eventually Citi Dividend.

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 8 of 15
daybreakgonesXe
Valued Contributor

@TheConductor wrote:

A complete list would be impossible.  There are a lot of great cards that are great for a specific niche or purpose, but they don't get much advertising or chatter because they are so focused on that purpose. There are also lots of regional cards from credit unions and small banks that may have unique rewards or benefits, but don't get as much notice because of their geographical limitations.

FWIW, here are a few of my thoughts on "sleeper" cards.

Chase Slate gets talked about some, but probably doesn't get as much notice as it deserves for having the perfect balance-transfer 1-2 punch of a 0% interest period and no balance transfer fee.  When the majority of the 0%-period cards have 3% balance transfer fees, that is a huge savings. Depending on the size of your balance, you can easily save as much on the Slate as you would earn in a year on a top rewards card like CSP or BCP.

Saks Fifth Avenue World Elite Mastercard is the only fee-free WEMC I know of, and probably worth it for that alone considering the quality of the WEMC benefits. But word is it requires two triple-pulls from Capital One to get it (one triple for your store charge account  and another for the MC account).  So I haven't jumped on that yet. Just wanted to note that Citi does offer fee-free WEMC's as well, but they're typically not instantly approved as a WEMC. Cards like the Dividend get issued as a WMC, but then depending on your spending and such they can upgrade you to WEMC.

TD Bank and Citizens Bank Cashback cards both have temporary 5% cashback periods when you first sign up,  I've seen tales that you can also get temporary 10% on the Citizens by signing up in a branch.  They probably don't get as much noise as cards like the BCP, Discover, and Freedom because the benefits are temporary, but while they last they are great cards.

Fidelity Amex Less talked about because you can only get it through Fidelity.  Sweet 2% cashback on anything and everything.  Assuming you have the means to open an investment account, it's a great card. You actually don't have to open a full-fledged investment account! Their "Cash Management" account is pretty much a checking account and will net you the 1-to-1 point value of cashback, as well as no minimums, no fees, ATM fees reimbursed, and a mobile check deposit.

Morgan Stanley Amex Platinum Why get the standard platinum that charges $175 for an extra cardholder when this one gets you one additional cardholder for free?

Chase Ritz-Carlton More than a hotel card, it's a reasonable alternative to the Amex Platinum with the $200 airline incidentals, lounge access, and complimentary gold status to not only R-C but Marriott as well. Caveat being that the Amex MR points are more versatile than R-C points.

Message 9 of 15

@red259

Thanks. I agree with you that the best card is the one right for you. 

However, I just want to dig out the cards as good as the advertised popular one.

For example, amex BCE/BCP ADs are everywhere; but, U.S. Bank Case+ no ADs, but really good for everyday use. 

3. Discover It CL $2000.
4. Citi TYP CL $2000
Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.