cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

anyone ever get this message from Discover ?

tag
awdsmama
Established Contributor

Re: anyone ever get this message from Discover ?

This is exactly what caused me to search the boards today. 

I went online to redeem my Discover IT Rewards points and noticed I had a message in the inbox and it was that same one - about raising minimum payments etc. 

Whateve helps those that carry a balance pay it off faster is good though! 

Fico: 701 (5/22/14) 682 (5/9/2014)
Discover IT $5,200 / CU Visa $1,000 / JC Penny$3,000
App Free since 2/2013
Message 11 of 15
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Isn't there some law that forces CC companies to charge a minimum payment that will actually get a card paid off eventually?  

Once upon a time CC companies would charge such a small minimum payment that you were basically paying no principle and paying all interest.

Maybe Discover had to do it, to your benefit.

Here is a pretty good article talking about that very thing: Minimum credit card payments.

One excerpt:

"By 2005, most credit card issuers changed the way they calculated minimum payments in response to the new guidance -- typically 1 percent of the principal balance, plus fees and interest for the month, which usually equates to 2 percent of the balance overall".

Message 12 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: anyone ever get this message frointerdestatingm Discover ?

Interdestating. Smiley Happy

Message 13 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: anyone ever get this message frointerdestatingm Discover ?

I got this letter with my new card last week.
Message 14 of 15
NRB525
Super Contributor

@anonymous4a wrote:

Had my card for over a year now and got a 8 page pdf letter stating that they were changing my minimum payment due, the governing law; and the arbitration provisions in your agreement.  Is this common when you've had your card for over a year ? 

You'll get this type of "change in terms" notice on all your cards eventually. The existing agreement when you open the card has to be updated over time, so it's nothng personal. I got so many from Chase over the years I just went through and requested updated agreements, which incorporate all the changes into a new readable document.

If it IS personal, you'll get a specially addressed message that calls out some change like your credit line or an interest rate and that is related to some decision they've made about your account in particular.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.