cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

anyone ever get this message from Discover ?

tag
anonymous4a
New Contributor

anyone ever get this message from Discover ?

Had my card for over a year now and got a 8 page pdf letter stating that they were changing my minimum payment due, the governing law; and the arbitration provisions in your agreement.  Is this common when you've had your card for over a year ? 

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
1GaDawg85
Valued Contributor

Re: anyone ever get this message from Discover ?

sounds like something changed on your CR....

FICO 5 ,4, 2 - 10/2023                            FICO 8 - 10/2023                                   FICO 9 - 10/2023                                   FICO 10 - 10/2023

Message 2 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Never heard of this before on Discover.

Message 3 of 15
sccredit
Valued Contributor

Sounds like the terms are changing.  Give them a call and see if there is a specific reason for it.  

Message 4 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@anonymous4a wrote:

Had my card for over a year now and got a 8 page pdf letter stating that they were changing my minimum payment due, the governing law; and the arbitration provisions in your agreement.  Is this common when you've had your card for over a year ? 

I had my card for 6 months and I just received this message when I logged in today. I wonder if it's something negative that I triggered?

Message 5 of 15
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Screenshot 2014-10-08 at 1.34.10 PM.png

Screenshot 2014-10-08 at 1.34.19 PM.png

This seems to be the beefy part. I got it as well. Basically if you enroll in their protection service (which i believe is the "if you get sick or hospitalized you won't be responsible for this debt of up to however much" ) that fee is tacked onto your minimum payment, as opposed to just becoming part of your balance. There is also some stuff in there about collections, but I think this is the major change. 

Message 6 of 15
s73guy
Contributor

I got the same message when I logged in today.  Looks like something they are doing across the board with all customers.  Doesn't really affect me since I don't have the credit protection plan through them.  Of course the arbitration part applies to everyone.

Capital One Venture: $30,000; Capital One Quicksilver: $10,000; PNC CashBuilder: $15,000; Chase Marriott Rewards: $10,000; Citi Double Cash: $9,400; Barclay Arrival World MasterCard: $11,150; USF FCU Rewards Visa Signature: $10,500; Suncoast CU Visa: $3,000; Discover It: $3,500; Nordstrom: $2,000; Kohl's: $2,500; Target: $600; Lowes: $6,900; Sams Club: $3,850; Evine: $3,000; HSN: $1,800; Paypal Credit: $4,350; Amazon Store: $5,400 --- EX: 726; EQ: 726; TU: 741

Message 7 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Isn't there some law that forces CC companies to charge a minimum payment that will actually get a card paid off eventually?  

Once upon a time CC companies would charge such a small minimum payment that you were basically paying no principle and paying all interest.

Maybe Discover had to do it, to your benefit.

Message 8 of 15
Cstone87
New Contributor

Barclays did something similar and I believe sent  to many cardholders. mostly about fees et al 

Too many cards
DOJ
Message 9 of 15
14Fiesta
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Isn't there some law that forces CC companies to charge a minimum payment that will actually get a card paid off eventually?  

Once upon a time CC companies would charge such a small minimum payment that you were basically paying no principle and paying all interest.

Maybe Discover had to do it, to your benefit.

I think so but they can make the spread so thin that it could take 10 years of making payments to pay it off. Also making minimum payments doesn't guarantee that someone wouldn't just pay minimums and charge back up to the limit again, effectively carrying the debt forever.

EX FICO (AMEX): 728 (4/29/17) | TU FICO (Discover): 737 (4/7/17) | EQ FICO (Citi): 746 (3/28/17)
Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.