Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

app for amex zync and ________ ?

tag
burnednotice
Established Member

app for amex zync and ________ ?

Yes, yet another Amex thread!

Ok, so I'm getting ready to app for the Amex zync as soon as my HSBC charge off gets disputed and removed from EX. That is the remaining baddie. Current FAKO scores have jumped up to 740+.

My question is since assuming approval for the zync, a second app would be a soft pull if denied, I feel that I should try for another card. This way I will have another positive tradeline, even if I were to only keep it open for a year. But I don't know which to go for.
I want the BCP, but i want to wait till January for backdating purposes and to have some time to build a history with Amex.
I suppose I eventually will want the PRG, but i can't justify the AF yet, and also I won't be eligible for the signing bonus until after 90 days of getting approved for the Zync.
Should I then also app for the Green along with the Zync, then BCP in January, and then after a year Product Change the green to the PRG?
Or should i just try for the BCP now and at least understand reasons for denial (assuming I will be denied).

Suggestions please!

Starting Score: (USAA FAKO scores)
ex:579 eq:585 tu:603

Current Score: (7/2012) ex: 585 eq:663 tu:603
(8/2012) ex: 657 eq: 673 tu: 671

Goal Score: 850+

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: app for amex zync and ________ ?

Zync and nothing else Amex.  Every other card has the same backdating principal that is keeping you from applying for the BCP.

Personally if it were me I'd go Zync / BCP straight and see if I got lucky; there's a lot to be said in a building situation for those extra 3 months depending what your plans are for next year, but call it 3ish years out the backdating would be better, and of course 5 years from now it's mostly a wash anyway.

        
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@burnednotice wrote:

Ok, so I'm getting ready to app for the Amex zync as soon as my HSBC charge off gets disputed and removed from EX. That is the remaining baddie. Current FAKO scores have jumped up to 740+.

My question is since assuming approval for the zync, a second app would be a soft pull if denied, I feel that I should try for another card. This way I will have another positive tradeline, even if I were to only keep it open for a year. But I don't know which to go for.
I want the BCP, but i want to wait till January for backdating purposes and to have some time to build a history with Amex.
I suppose I eventually will want the PRG, but i can't justify the AF yet, and also I won't be eligible for the signing bonus until after 90 days of getting approved for the Zync.
Should I then also app for the Green along with the Zync, then BCP in January, and then after a year Product Change the green to the PRG?
Or should i just try for the BCP now and at least understand reasons for denial (assuming I will be denied).

Suggestions please!

Currently, any Amex customer with a charge product is ineligible for any signing bonus unless they close all charge products for 90 days and re-apply for the card with the signing bonus. Unless they change their policy in the future, you will have to part ways with a charge card for 90 days and reapply. So you may want to take that into consideration for you app'ing plans.

I would say, if you are accepted for the charge immediately app for the BCP that you want, If denied for BCP, you at least know where you stand and won't take an extra HP. If you are approved, at least you got 2 cards with 1 HP.

But what other cards do you currently carry?

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@burnednotice wrote:

Suggestions please!

Currently, any Amex customer with a charge product is ineligible for any signing bonus unless they close all charge products for 90 days and re-apply for the card with the signing bonus. Unless they change their policy in the future, you will have to part ways with a charge card for 90 days and reapply. So you may want to take that into consideration for you app'ing plans.

I would say, if you are accepted for the charge immediately app for the BCP that you want, If denied for BCP, you at least know where you stand and won't take an extra HP. If you are approved, at least you got 2 cards with 1 HP.

But what other cards do you currently carry?

I forgot to mention, you will also need to have the revolver account established before cancelling the charge product or your MR points that you earned go bye bye.

Message 4 of 10
burnednotice
Established Member

OH! I misunderstood the disclaimer then.. I thought the bonus wouldn't apply within the first 90 days of another charge card.

Then I take it the 7/8 months of backdating would be negligible?

I currently have one secured card ($500) for almost 1 year, and a closed zales/Citibank card that brings my AAoA to 3.5 years (do closed accounts count?)

Starting Score: (USAA FAKO scores)
ex:579 eq:585 tu:603

Current Score: (7/2012) ex: 585 eq:663 tu:603
(8/2012) ex: 657 eq: 673 tu: 671

Goal Score: 850+

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@burnednotice wrote:
OH! I misunderstood the disclaimer then.. I thought the bonus wouldn't apply within the first 90 days of another charge card.

Then I take it the 7/8 months of backdating would be negligible?

I currently have one secured card ($500) for almost 1 year, and a closed zales/Citibank card that brings my AAoA to 3.5 years (do closed accounts count?)

Yea, they are a little sneaky with their wording. The backdating would be negligible because you do not have an account yet. If you get two accounts open tomorrow, in January they will both be 4 months old. If you only open one, and open the other in January, the backdating will still make both accounts 4 months old. However, with the lower limit on the secured card, I do not think you will be approved for the BCP (it's ALWAYS worth the try though at that point), but I would definitely give the Zync a try. You will probably have to keep the Zync for a little to build your relationship with Amex before they will approve you for the BCP though. The closed accounts do matter for you AAoA but not your utilization. What is your utilization at? What is your income?

Message 6 of 10
Crashem
Valued Contributor

Prg = premier rewards gold?  If so, why not just apply for that instead of zync?  The standards are not that much higher.  680's fico and you have good shot.  Is there something else making you hesitate?  Worse case, app for zync in 31 days after rejection.  Still will give you time to build charge card history for bcp app in jan.  if you app for prg now, I think current offer is waived af for first year and Bonus points.

LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 7 of 10
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

AP for Zync only.  Your scores aren't good enough for anything else and waiting 4 months will give you a lot. 

- It gives your score a chance to improve

- You build a relationship and improve your internal score with AMEX

- in January you get the best backdating, you will get  8 months worth of backdating goodness by waiting for January. 

- Your app for anything will only result in a SP unless you are approved then it will be a HP

- The Zync will help you get your UTL down because what ever balances post don't count in most scoring metrics.

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 8 of 10
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

@jamesdwi wrote:

AP for Zync only.  Your scores aren't good enough for anything else and waiting 4 months will give you a lot. 

- It gives your score a chance to improve

- You build a relationship and improve your internal score with AMEX

- in January you get the best backdating, you will get  8 months worth of backdating goodness by waiting for January. 

- Your app for anything will only result in a SP unless you are approved then it will be a HP

- The Zync will help you get your UTL down because what ever balances post don't count in most scoring metrics.

+1   You know that old saying...   a bird in the hand is worth two in the (insert inappropriate noun here).  

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 9 of 10
LilNYC
New Contributor

@Crashem wrote:

Prg = premier rewards gold?  If so, why not just apply for that instead of zync?  The standards are not that much higher.  680's fico and you have good shot.  Is there something else making you hesitate?  Worse case, app for zync in 31 days after rejection.  Still will give you time to build charge card history for bcp app in jan.  if you app for prg now, I think current offer is waived af for first year and Bonus points.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OP only has 1 open cc w/ a $500 CL, you really think he has a shot at PRG? Zync is a safer bet since it has that $500 hard limit option/version.

OP-Since BCP is one of the hardest amex revolvers to get & you're pretty sure you'll get denied if you app now, you could app for charge card & if approved app for 1 of the easier co- branded revolvers like Delta or Hilton- you could PC the revolver to BCE shortly after.

Citi Thank You $13,200 - Chase Freedom $3,100 - AMEX Zync NPSL (init. ability $17.5K) - Citi Forward $7,000 - AMEX BCP $6,000 - USAA Rate Adv $15,000 - USAA World MC $12,000 - Discover More $4,000 - Amex Hilton Honors $4,500 - Amex SPG $2,000 - Barclay's Priceline Rewards $6,400 - Chase Sapphire Pref. $7,500

EQ: 794. TU: 704. EX: 755
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.