Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

appliance shopping and store cards

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

appliance shopping and store cards

My dryer died today and I'd prefer to take advantage of 0% interest for 6 months or more.   I have read that sears is hard to get but how about Home Depot or Lowes?  I might end up with both a washer and dryer but it depends on prices. 

My TU is 692 and my EQ is 672.  I have a few inquiries on both my reports.  My credit card balance reporting is $100 out of $2950.  My balance is actually around $800 right now but I'll be paying that off before my statement cuts in 2 weeks.   My baddies are all from around 2005 -2006.   I have a mortgage, a car loan, and 3 credit cards open (one is a store card).

Thanks.

Sherry

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
vish1
Valued Contributor

Re: appliance shopping and store cards

Lowes is GEMB

Home depot is citi

Sears have cards from both citi and hsbc

I will put them in the following order (easiest to hardest):

Sears HSBC

Lowes GEMB

Citi (HD/Sears)

If I was you, I will apply for the card where I get the best pricing on the washer. I don't think any of the above lenders pull TU.

What kind of baddies do you carry? Lates or BK?

Citi Hilton Reserve 22.3K | Citi Thank You 8.2K | CSP 15.5K | Chase Freedom 10K | Chase BA 15K | Chase United 8.5K | Chase Marriott 5K | Discover IT 9K | Club Carlson 13K | Amex SPG 20K | BofA Cash Rewards 11K | BofA Cash Rewards 50K
Message 2 of 18
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@vish1 wrote:

Lowes is GEMB

Home depot is citi

Sears HSBC

Lowes GEMB

Citi (HD/Sears)

If I was you, I will apply for the card where I get the best pricing on the washer. I don't think any of the above lenders pull TU.

Sears HSBC is a mastercard very similar to the best buy mastercard... when you apply for Sears store card, if citi will not approve you then HSBC gets to make an offer, $300 or $500 starting CL I believe in almost all cases.

some people get declined home depot but get lowes, others get denied lowes and get home depot.... so who knows.

Message 3 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

I recently got a Home Depot card. Started with a $1600 line, I called them and told them I wanted to purchase a new yard tractor and they bumped me to $2000. It was easy to do. The person I talked to was very nice.

Ray

Message 4 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Lates mostly... one paid collection and a paid in full repo (which when I goodwilled they removed the lates but left the repo status.  LOL   That didn't really help too much but I appreciate the effort.)   Both were in early to mid 2006.  I got a job in 8/2006 when my son got out of the hospital and everything has been on time and PIF since.

vish1 wrote:

Lowes is GEMB

Home depot is citi

Sears HSBC

Lowes GEMB

Citi (HD/Sears)

Message 5 of 18
guydiver
Established Contributor

GEMB always pulled EQ for me, until I applied for my Lowe's card.  They pulled TU, which was sub 700, somewhere around 680's.  Lots of baddies, nothing recent though, a paid CO too.  I got a good CL of about $4500, two years later I got to 10K.  I use the 6,12,18 mo. interest free promos, and their prices are hard to beat when you compare.  YMMV, but I get excellent service.  I let my last promo go until the last day to pay it off. I did an on line payment for the promo balance from the last statement, then  I called the 800 #.  They had already applied the interest charges that day(LOL), they immediately posted the interest charges as a credit to my account, changed my payment terms to pay off the promo balances first(optional) by applying my monthly payments to promo balances first for current and future purchases.  Nothing but good to say. I use the on line payment center. They always credit my payments on the day I make the payment, but it takes a full three business days before it is drafted from my checking account.  They always report to all 3 CRA's on the 20th of the month for the current balance on that day.  I've heard bad things about GEMB, but I have nothing but good to say.  BTW.....they auto CLI'd my Sam's Discover to 10 K also a few months ago.  They always soft EQ for that one though. 

Message 6 of 18
clocktick
Valued Contributor

I just bought a fridge at Lowes and they offered me 0% for 6 months OR 5% off the price with the card.  This was for people whether or not they had the card yet.  I happen to have the card and opted for the 5% off.  The kicker is it has to be over $400.

11/30/08 TU 648 EX 672 EQ 656 SEPT 2014 TU 787 EX 789 EQ ???
Amex BCP $24.1K/Clear $8.5- Sallie Mae $27.5 -Cap One QS $7.5 - Chase Freedom $7.5/United $5k/CSP $20k/Ink- Citi DP $9.5/Dividend $13k/HHHx2 $15k/16.4/Reserve $4.5k Best Buy $1940 HD $1701- Discover IT $15k - Elan $8k GEMB Lowes $20k - Macy's $2k - Kohl's $800

Starting Score: 648
Current Score: 736
Goal Score: 765

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 7 of 18
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@clocktick wrote:

I just bought a fridge at Lowes and they offered me 0% for 6 months OR 5% off the price with the card.  This was for people whether or not they had the card yet.  I happen to have the card and opted for the 5% off.  The kicker is it has to be over $400.

5% on major appliances; that's good stuff! Smiley Surprised

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 8 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for saying 5%!!!  

I saw a dryer I like at Home Depot.  They are doing 10% off appliances starting Thursday.  I just remembered that if I buy it online through Capital One I get 5% cash rewards at Home Depot.   I can buy a dryer only and pay it off in a month but I couldn't get a washer and dryer.   I'll try to do their credit because I'd rather pay it off over 6 months but push comes to shove I can buy it online with the credit card I have.

I'll keep looking in the meantime but this one is the front runner, mostly because it's affordable and I really like the washer that goes with it.    Who knew washers had changed so much in the past 10 years!!

Message 9 of 18
laz98
Senior Contributor

@vish1 wrote:

Sears HSBC

Lowes GEMB

Citi (HD/Sears)

I don't think any of the above lenders pull TU.

really, citi's sears card (sears' citi card???) is the hardest to get?  that's kind of cool, my gf got one recently Smiley Happy

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.