Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

applied for my first CC(s) ever!

tag
jomama22

applied for my first CC(s) ever!

Hello there!

Been grazing the forums for a few weeks now as I have been researching which CCs would be my first. Got my free Equifax score (791) so I was confident in my endeavor, though my credit history is very short (AU on mothers citi mc and financed and paid off LASIK surgery about 5 years ago)

So after seeing what would meet my needs, I ended up applying for both the chase freedom and Costco true earnings amex on the same day.

I was present approved for the freedom when I opened a checking account but they need to verify my address (banker faxed it as soon as they asked for it). Said to look in the next 7-10 days for a letter. Called the backdoor number and was told two weeks.

The amex was applied for online. Got instant "need address verification" called and within 2 minutes was approved! Got the card in today with a CL of...wait for it...$10,000!!!!!

Would have never guessed that my first card would be an amex with a $10000 limit.

Still waiting on chase ATM, what do you guys think my chances are there?

Sorry, was just so excited I wanted to post something! Haha.

Cheers

UPDATE:

Went ahead and applied for 1 more for a total of 3. Went with the Discover It to maximize my cashback and really round out the first two approvals. 

Applied online, recieved the 5-7 day message and a phone number to speed it up. Called and after a bit of identification, i was Approved!!!!!!! With a limit of $4,500!

3/3 with total credit combination of $20,500!!

Message 1 of 26
25 REPLIES 25
chrisw1968uk
Frequent Contributor

Re: applied for my first CC(s) ever!

A 791 should be a slam-dunk, I got instantly approved with a 764 - I think you'll be sitting pretty Smiley Wink

Message 2 of 26
BearsAndTurtlesRtheBest
Senior Contributor

Thats great!!!!! AMEX for your CC thats more than excellent. and all that was reporting was your moms card from which your an AU??

Discover IT $2,600- First Premier MasterCard $1,000- Dillards Store Card $300- Fingerhut Advantage $200
Chapter 7 BK Dischagred on 07/11/16. Gardening Since 01/17/2019
Message 3 of 26
myjourney
Super Contributor

@jomama22 wrote:
Hello there!

Been grazing the forums for a few weeks now as I have been researching which CCs would be my first. Got my free Equifax score (791) so I was confident in my endeavor, though my credit history is very short (AU on mothers citi mc and financed and paid off LASIK surgery about 5 years ago)

So after seeing what would meet my needs, I ended up applying for both the chase freedom and Costco true earnings amex on the same day.

I was present approved for the freedom when I opened a checking account but they need to verify my address (banker faxed it as soon as they asked for it). Said to look in the next 7-10 days for a letter. Called the backdoor number and was told two weeks.

The amex was applied for online. Got instant "need address verification" called and within 2 minutes was approved! Got the card in today with a CL of...wait for it...$10,000!!!!!

Would have never guessed that my first card would be an amex with a $10000 limit.

Still waiting on chase ATM, what do you guys think my chances are there?

Sorry, was just so excited I wanted to post something! Haha.

Cheers

Congrats and welcome to the forum

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 4 of 26
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Welcome to the forum and a big congrats! Which Amex did you get?
Message 5 of 26
resilient
Established Contributor

Congrats on that nice limit.....my very first credit card, when I was in college, was for $500! That was big in 2000 lol

Amex Platinum Amex PRG Amex Hilton Surpass ($7k) Citi AAdvantage WEMC ($20k) Citi Hilton Honors VS ($6.8k) Dillard's Amex ($7.5k) Discover it ($6.5k) FNBO Chrysler MC ($30k) Military Star Card ($4.8k) Nordstrom VS ($25k) PenFed Power Cash Rewards VS ($20.5k) Ritz-Carlton VI ($54.5k) Starwood Preferred Guest Amex ($10k) Susan G. Komen WMC ($38k) Kinetic CU Visa ($10k) US Bank Cash + VS ($16k) Sears MC ($6k) USAA Limitless VS ($15k) Walmart MC ($7.5k) AAdvantage Aviator Silver WEMC ($11.3k)
Message 6 of 26
Poki
Valued Member

Wow - $10,000 on your 1st CC, not something I would do if I granted credit Smiley Tongue

I think you have a chance at Chase Freedom, but only time will tell.

Congrats - nice cards!

"Neither a Borrower Nor a Lender Be"
Message 7 of 26
Crashem
Valued Contributor

AMEX must have read the lasik surgery as revolving.  OP, was it care credit perhaps and for what amount?  If it was care credit, it would be more like having a CL on credit card of whatever amount you got it for.

LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 8 of 26
iyoulow
Valued Member

Congrats. Don't spend it all in one place. lol

Credit Sesame (EX) - 7/2013 - 639, 9/2013 - 658, 10/2013 - 676, current - 670
Credit Karma (TU) - 7/2013 - 580, 8/2013 - 591, 9/2013 - 607, current - 635
USAA Experian Credit Check - 8/2013 - (EX) 609, (EQ) 634, (TU) 601
9/2013 - (EX) 639, (EQ) 649, (TU) 605 - 3/2014 - (EX) 652, (EQ) 641, (TU) 631
Message 9 of 26
jomama22

@Crashem wrote:

AMEX must have read the lasik surgery as revolving.  OP, was it care credit perhaps and for what amount?  If it was care credit, it would be more like having a CL on credit card of whatever amount you got it for.

Looking at my report, it was reported as a revolving credit of $6,500 from gecredit/care (man your smart!). Though the account has been closed by the issuer and was catorgorized as joint. . The AU also reports as a revolving with $10,000. 

Thanks everyone for the welcome!

Dont know how to double quote but i got the Costco Amex.

Also, today i got the address verification letter from chase as they said I would (even though they have verified it already). Whats interesting is on the top line it says "Thanks for applying for a Chase Freedom Visa SIGNATURE". I never asked for signature but apparently thaqt is what I am up for.

Message 10 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.