Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

apply for credit card with pending disputes

tag
LindaLu
Regular Contributor

apply for credit card with pending disputes

I have a pending dispute with 2 accounts with transunion...however I was planning on applying for a new card and even possibly looking for a new car and was wondered if I need to wait for the outcome?

My question actually is would I be denied because of a pending dispute?  someone told me I would but someone else told me it may help and not be held against me. 

I really didn't think it would have any impact either way..

Of course if the dispute was in my favor after it is corrected of course it would be in my favor..

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: apply for credit card with pending disputes

Lenders can still see the disputed accounts.

And they know that there are plenty of folks who file frivolous disputes in hopes of getting legitimate info off, just as there are plenty of folks who have truly inaccurate info that needs correcting.

I'd hold off for now, if there is not a truly crucial need for the new credit. Otherwise, be prepared to explain the disputes and why you feel that they are legitimate.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 2 of 7
LindaLu
Regular Contributor

thanks...there were actually on 2..one was an account coded as collection/chargeoff that was actually included in bankruptcy 2 years ago...and one was a medical claim for $239 that the medical facility didn't bill the insurance company correctly and was to be removed...

so does it show what my dispute reason was or just shows it is being investigaged?

Message 3 of 7
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

AFAIK, it just shows that the account is being disputed.

Generally what happens with stuff like this is either they deny you right off the bat, or they ask you to explain the derogatories. If you're denied, you'll probably have to use a backdoor number (check the thread stickied at the top of this board for an amazingly comprehensive list) and try to find someone who (a) will listen to you and (b) has the authority to override the initial denial.

It's always easier to go in clean than to try to 'splain away any problems, which is why I advise to hold off applying for new credit unless there is some genuinely emergent need, like you just looked out the window to see your car burning to the ground.

There are few things in credit life that can't stand to wait an extra month or two.

eta: last year I found a medical collection on DH's EQ and TU (not EX) that resulted from the initial billing by the hospital ER being denied, and billing never resubmitted it. I was pretty hot when I found this out, and I called the insurers (United Health Care) to see if anything could be done. Bless their hearts, we're not even with them any more, but they agreed to review the claim if it was resubmitted. I went back to the ER and asked them to send it again (I didn't say "properly this time", although I was sorely tempted), and UHC paid it. Once there was no longer a valid account to collect on, the CA had to take it off DH's reports. As this was his only baddie other than one ancient 30-day late, his EQ and TU scores went from the 730's to the 80X's. It is definitely worth pursuing medical collections that result from either the provider or the insuror dropping the ball!
Message Edited by haulingthescoreup on 05-30-2009 01:56 PM
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 4 of 7
LindaLu
Regular Contributor

so do you think I would have been better off leaving the accounts I wanted to dispute and disputing after i applied.?   and maybe I did more harm than good?

why would they right off the bat deny me?  they could just consider the dispute still a valid charge as was still being investigaged and not technically verified to be incorrect.

Message 5 of 7
LindaLu
Regular Contributor

is it possible to remove the dispute ? I just did it this morning

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

You will need to call TU directly to dispute. You can find the number on their website under the disputes area.
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.