cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

applying for 0% card. Joint vs individual account ?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

applying for 0% card. Joint vs individual account ?

Long time reader, first time poster.

Would like to pay back as much of our debt as we can ASAP, then get a 0% balance transfer or 0% credit card and continue to pay the cards off. After we pay back both cards to approx 40-50% total debt to credit ratio (approx 6-7 months), would it help to transfer all balance to one person's account, apply for card and then transfer back? Should we apply for a joint card or individual card? I feel that my wife would have better chance since no bad marks

Here is some more info:

Combined income $90k. 

Me: Current fico ~ 660. Credit cards: CapOne QS1 $3k CapOone venture1 $2k, citi $2k, Bofa $500. total Debt to credit ratio 75%. No mortgage or car payment. charge off (medical) of about $2,000 4 years ago and multiple lates many years ago but have been working on my credit for past 2 years and no negatives > 2 years

Wife: Current fico ~ 600. Credit cards: Wells fargo $12k, discover $6k, chase $1.5k. Debt to credit ration 90%. No mortgage but Car payment $200. No charge offs or lates

Any recs would be appreciated. Thanks

8 REPLIES 8
Aahz
Established Contributor

Re: applying for 0% card. Joint vs individual account ?

Don't forget about balance transfer fees.  Transferring balances just to transfer them back would cost you 6% plus in fees despite being 0%APR.

What benefit are you seeking from getting a joint card?  Since neither of your scores are particularly good it's unlikely to help either of you improve your credit.

Message 2 of 9
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

I wouldn't look at credit cards, I would look at online loans:

sofi

avant

loanme

lendup

prosper

work on joining navy federal through the navy league in SD if you need to.

I would consider a loan in your name since you have the only score that will qualify even if it's at 20% because clearing your credit card debt will shoot your score up... then maybe you could consider a new BT card at 0% if you are serious about paying it all off but you will have to move things around once or twice to be able to accomplish that.

Message 3 of 9
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Would like to pay back as much of our debt as we can ASAP, then get a 0% balance transfer or 0% credit card and continue to pay the cards off. After we pay back both cards to approx 40-50% total debt to credit ratio (approx 6-7 months), would it help to transfer all balance to one person's account, apply for card and then transfer back? Should we apply for a joint card or individual card? I feel that my wife would have better chance since no bad marks

Here is some more info:

Combined income $90k. 

Me: Current fico ~ 660. Credit cards: CapOne QS1 $3k CapOone venture1 $2k, citi $2k, Bofa $500. total Debt to credit ratio 75%. No mortgage or car payment. charge off (medical) of about $2,000 4 years ago and multiple lates many years ago but have been working on my credit for past 2 years and no negatives > 2 years

Wife: Current fico ~ 600. Credit cards: Wells fargo $12k, discover $6k, chase $1.5k. Debt to credit ration 90%. No mortgage but Car payment $200. No charge offs or lates

OT, but why is your wife's score so low with no lates or charge offs?

Message 4 of 9
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Here is some more info:

Combined income $90k. 

OT, but why is your wife's score so low with no lates or charge offs?

short credit history can't handle maxed out cards and it does as much damage while maxed out as baddies do on a non maxed out report... it's why we need another credit reform!

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for the recs. We are going to our local credit union today where I had a car loan many years ago. I am hopeful to get close to loan for apprx 1/2 of my loan amount and then will continue to payoff off until our scores jump and then try for a 0% card, even if there is a transfer fee as it will be less money in the long run.

And my wifes score is likely low to due short AAoA.

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Here is some more info:

Combined income $90k. 

I would be optimizing your scores, make sure only a tiny balance reports by statement cut date on one of your cards.  See if you can combine your two cap1 cards into one with the aF removed (ideally the QS).  QS does no AF bts, so you can shuffle some debt to you and then back to her discover at 4.99% for 18 months wtih no BT fee.

Ask for APR reductions on all cards every 3 months. She should be asking for increases but should have all cards removed from her except for your citi card or her chase card.

There is no reason why you couldnt have 2-3x your income each in CL's and have recurrent BT offers.  Focus payments towards highest interest cards first.

Consider a credit union that looks at proof of income, to yield higher starting limit.  Penfed, etc.

Do not apply jointly that is just not worth it.  She can include your income on her scores.  Get your charge off taken care of, however that works maybe if you pay it they take it off, start writing/reaching out via calls/goodwill letters to address your lates.

Open up a shared secure loan with alliant to boost your scores, especially you.  Probably wont help her too much but heck why not try.  Stay away from banks that will not grow with you, allow your limit to be increased beyond a 6 month clock, and offers APR reductions if not at already single digit fixed interest.

Move all your banking to a credit union, high yield checking account, at least 2-5%.  Maybe go to where you bank now and see if they can help.  Sofi may be your only hope with scores like these, if I were you I would be getting the SoFi in her name only.  Plan your purchases. Dont make emotional based buys every time.  Read in to Dave Ramsey and mix in a little Suze Orman.

Cut costs wherever you can. Cut the cable bill. Get a free cell phone plan through ring plus.  Sell unused items on ebay.  You would be surprised the amount of extra income you could amass just a few hours a week of couch time.  check out thepennyhoarder

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Great recommendations!

We went to a local credit union I had a car loan with many years ago and got approved for $11k personal loan at 12%. This brings my wifes debt:credit ratio to 35% and will save us a lot of money compared to some of our current card rates. We expect to see her credit score jump as we continue to pay down her loans first to apply for a 0% BT card and then transfer my $$$ to her account.

Any ideas on what score and debt:credit ratio we should be shooting for before we apply? would credit score ~ 680 and ratio of ~ 20% be a good time to apply? Is there a specific card that we should target?

Thank you again for the continued replies

Message 8 of 9
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Super!
Chase late is obviously usually the best because of the no transfer fee but a venture one probably would I prove fire starting limit there is also an 18 month Discover balance transfer offer if you Google .
I'd wait for this person allowed to update your credit card and look at a Nother personal line from a different company for the remaining of the credit cardS!
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.