Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

applying for a business card without having or owning a business

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: applying for a business card without having or owning a business

Can you name any particular cards except Chase SW and Nationwide?

Message 21 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Can you name any particular cards except Chase SW and Nationwide?

CitiBusiness AAdvantage, CitiBusiness AT&T Universal, almost every business card at Chase except Ink.

Many, many banks allow a sole proprietorship to apply for a business credit card.  In most states setting up a sole proprietorship requires no formalities at all.  Even if the name of the business is not the same as the individual owner's name, in most states all that is required is a simple and relatively cheap DBA filing.  In fact, many, many sole proprietorships do not even need an EIN unless they have employees and / or deal with trusts, estates or are a non-profit. 

Message 22 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you. Do you know of any other except Chase and Citi. I do not like those 2 banks))

Message 23 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

BTW if someone adds me to a BUSINESS CARD that reports to all 3 as an AU will it show up on my personal reports?

Message 25 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

BTW if someone adds me to a BUSINESS CARD that reports to all 3 as an AU will it show up on my personal reports?

That I do not know.

Message 26 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

hi- i think tazman is over reacting. i am a freelance musician, so i "own my own business" as a sole proprietor and have had a few business cards in the past. i am not incorperated, nor do i have any employees. if the crdit card companies were really serious about making sure everyone with a business card was a bona fide " business owner" the would actually try to verify these things. hey- if you ever sold anything on ebay for example, the case for you having a " side business" selling stuff could be made...

Message 27 of 33
Itsmeagain
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thank you. Do you know of any other except Chase and Citi. I do not like those 2 banks))

I am a sole proprietor (consultant), with no EIN.  I have both the Discover More and the Discover Business Card.

Both offer cash back rewards and I love em'

Starting Score: TU 737 EQ 721
Current Score: TU 741 EQ 741
Goal Score: TU 765 EQ 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 28 of 33
businesscredit
New Visitor

First of all SW Airlines has (2) two types of credit cards and they both request your SS#. The difference between the two is that one reports to your personal credit report if it is the personal card and the other a business card does not. (Provided you applied and was approved several years ago.)

You can find out which one you have if you see your credit card account number listed on your personal credit report and also you can call them and ask to be sure.

Many people have a business card with the business name listed who are "sole proprietor", in most cases, SP's do not have a FEIN or Federal Tax ID number, they use their social security number and list their business name on applications because they want the card to be in the business name. This could be how SW viewed your application.

If you plan on setting up a business under that name, you should be okay. If not, then you may want to call SW and have them change the card into your name and verify also that it is not a business account. 

I personally have a business SW card. I initially applied for the card in my personal name and then called SW to have them switch it to a business card using my FEIN number only. They did it within 48 hours... no problem.  I am sure they will make the changes for you as well.

[Edited to remove an email address, the posting of which is not permitted on the FICO Forums.]

Message 29 of 33
Tazman81
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

hi- i think tazman is over reacting. i am a freelance musician, so i "own my own business" as a sole proprietor and have had a few business cards in the past. i am not incorperated, nor do i have any employees. if the crdit card companies were really serious about making sure everyone with a business card was a bona fide " business owner" the would actually try to verify these things. hey- if you ever sold anything on ebay for example, the case for you having a " side business" selling stuff could be made...

There was no over reaction on my part.  I went off of the information that was provided in the post along with the information for our state regardin "inc" means incorporated, meaning a separate EIN meaning a separate entity all together.  When joining a post late, please read all post prior to posting your response so that you can provide an informed response.

Current Score: Eq: 823 Tu: 830
Goal Score: Eq: 850 Tu: 850

Wallet: PenFed Power Cash 50k | AMEX Blue Cash (AU) 49.5k | Cap One QSMC 26.5k | AMEX Platinum NPSL | USAA Signature Visa 25k
Message 30 of 33
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.