cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

applying for a credit card....strategy...

tag
daisyduke
Valued Contributor

applying for a credit card....strategy...

I might want to apply for another CC - let's say that one report  is frozen but the other two are not...would the creditor be OK with using the other two, or do I have to unfreeze all of them?   and I would not know which report they would look at...

Starting Score: 682 EQ, 663 TU
Current Score: 687 EQ - 705 TU on 7/18/10
Goal Score: 700 + both EQ and TU

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

Re: applying for a credit card....strategy...

@daisyduke wrote:
I might want to apply for another CC - let's say that one report  is frozen but the other two are not...would the creditor be OK with using the other two, or do I have to unfreeze all of them?   and I would not know which report they would look at...

An occasionally used strategy is to freeze them all in hopes that they will allow you to chose which one they will pull. It does work some times. Otherwise you have to grant them access to whatever they insist on.
Message 2 of 9
daisyduke
Valued Contributor

I see...it's my understanding that while i'm on ice, i cannot get credit unless I unfreeze...but i wanted to pick and choose which report gets the inquiry hit...since i have zero on EQ...

Message 3 of 9
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

That's up to whoever you are app'ing with. Call them and ask. Tell them you are thinking about it - you don't have to do anything on the call.
Message 4 of 9
daisyduke
Valued Contributor

That's great advice and I will follow it! Thanks so very much...never thought of calling...duh, blonde moment.

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@creditwherecreditisdue wrote:
That's up to whoever you are app'ing with. Call them and ask. Tell them you are thinking about it - you don't have to do anything on the call.

CWCID,
 How can you freeze a Credit Report? I am thinking about freezing experian.
Message 6 of 9
daisyduke
Valued Contributor

I placed them on ice b/c I didn't want some silly inquiry on my credit report for something I wasn't responsible for...hee hee hee. plus now that my score has gone up, I have had fradulent activity a few years ago with someone opening up accounts using my ss and name...

go to each site individually - you gotta pay for it, i think its ten bucks...go to experian, tu and eq and you could do it on line. do not get it confused with a fraud alert - that is temporary and lasts i think 90 days...a fraud alert will just make the creditor call and verify your information --

Message 7 of 9
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

CWCID,

Here's some info for you:

http://myfico.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/myfico.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=176

Bear in mind that the costs and details can vary by state.

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

CWCID,

Here's some info for you:

http://myfico.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/myfico.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=176

Bear in mind that the costs and details can vary by state.

Thank you - looking into it as we speak.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.