Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

applying for a 'ghost' card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

applying for a 'ghost' card

I filled out an internet application on a well known retailer website. There has been no answer for 2 weeks now. The card is not on the bank's Credit Card website but is accessible via a search engine link. Will that count as a 'hard inquiry' on my credit report or should I just forget it, and apply for a different one?
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

Re: applying for a 'ghost' card

@Anonymous wrote:
I filled out an internet application on a well known retailer website. There has been no answer for 2 weeks now. The card is not on the bank's Credit Card website but is accessible via a search engine link. Will that count as a 'hard inquiry' on my credit report or should I just forget it, and apply for a different one?

Hi, jimbob8690!  Welcome to the forums!

It would help to know which retailer/bank you're referring to, but are you even sure that the application was processed online?  Some time back, I originally applied for a Lowe's account online, only to discover later that the online app was never received, for technical reasons having nothing to do with me or my information.  When I applied in-store, I was told by the CSR there that several others had complained about the online app not going through...there was no record of any app from me prior to the in-store app.

IF your app was received at their end, I would assume that there will be a hard inquiry on your report.  Unless (maybe) the card itself was discontinued?

I think we might need some more info from you here, jimbo8690.  As it stands, I'm just guessing here.

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's a Chase Amazon card.
Message 3 of 10
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

Thanks, jimbob8690!

Did you get any kind of confirmation or message after completing the app online?

Message Edited by Uborrow-Upay on 12-28-2009 09:28 AM
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

It is one of those instant approval things, but the message said it can't be instantly approved and would be done the 'normal way', but no other confirmation email/mail. I just checked and there was an email field on the application so I should have gotten a confirmation.
Message 5 of 10
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

Is there a number to call listed on that page for checking the status of the app?  

I'm afraid I can't help much beyond that, I don't have that particular card.  Maybe someone here who does have it can give you a contact number and/or advise on how to follow up.

In the meantime, though, I would not app for other products until this one is settled, one way or the other.

Just two more questions, though...do you have a freeze on any of your reports?  And are you sure that the site you app'ed on is legitimate?

Message 6 of 10
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

You might want to call Chase at 800-432-3117 and inquire into the status of your application.
Message 7 of 10
okiesean
New Contributor

I found this on an application page for the Chase Amazon Visa.

For information about when you can expect to hear if you've been approved, when you can use the card, and other frequently asked questions, please contact Chase Bank via phone at 800-524-3880.

Sorry I found it here http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=13845911 I wasnt sure if you can post links or not but its just for reference so hopefully its ok to post that link. Its a Q/A page on the Amazon Visa.

Message Edited by okiesean on 12-28-2009 11:17 AM
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

In my experience, Chase is a bit strange with their Chase Amazon Visa.  I think Amazon has some input on the credit criteria for approval.

I applied for a Chase Amazon Visa a long time ago and got the 30-Day Drop Dead Notice.  Six months (yes, 6 months!) later I went to buy an MP3 on Amazon and it automatically charged the 99 cents to my credit card which hit me as odd since I never had a credit card on file in my account.  The 99 cents was charged to my Amazon Visa.  Seems that when your application is approved Amazon is the first to know about it and automatically puts it as your preferred method of payment in your profile.

A few days later my card arrived in the mail. 

Message 9 of 10
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

OP, sounds to me as if O6 has the easy answer for you.  Try buying something inexpensive on Amazon and see what happens!

@Anonymous wrote:

In my experience, Chase is a bit strange with their Chase Amazon Visa.  I think Amazon has some input on the credit criteria for approval.

I applied for a Chase Amazon Visa a long time ago and got the 30-Day Drop Dead Notice.  Six months (yes, 6 months!) later I went to buy an MP3 on Amazon and it automatically charged the 99 cents to my credit card which hit me as odd since I never had a credit card on file in my account.  The 99 cents was charged to my Amazon Visa.  Seems that when your application is approved Amazon is the first to know about it and automatically puts it as your preferred method of payment in your profile.

A few days later my card arrived in the mail. 

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.