Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

applying for credit card for teen..

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

applying for credit card for teen..

good evening,

im a single mother and i have a 19 yr old daughter in college, she is an au on my accounts, but i want her to start her own account. my question is do she have to have a job before she can applied for an credit card, she just need one...or any suggest will help out a lot..

thanks in advanced

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

Re: applying for credit card for teen..

@Anonymous wrote:

good evening,

im a single mother and i have a 19 yr old daughter in college, she is an au on my accounts, but i want her to start her own account. my question is do she have to have a job before she can applied for an credit card, she just need one...or any suggest will help out a lot..

thanks in advanced

Hello to you.

She might consider a local credit union to start a business relationship with. That's a good place to begin.

Message 2 of 7
pattycake
Established Contributor

Congrats to you for directing her to being a responsible adult! I had my son apply for a student Discover Card, and he was approved for $1000. He's only allowed to use it sparingly, since he does not have a regular job.

Good luck!
pattycake's FICOs: 6/2/10 - TU: 708; EX: ???; EQ: 749
Message 3 of 7
keith021
Regular Contributor

@MarineVietVet wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

good evening,

thanks in advanced

Hello to you.

She might consider a local credit union to start a business relationship with. That's a good place to begin.

+1

I also suggest you and her check with your local credit unions and see what they have to offer. I received my first Student Visa rewards credit card from Suncoast Schools FCU. Being that it is a student credit card, besides the credit check, they only document that they requested was proof that I am a student. I faxed a copy of my class schedule and my application was approved and processed the same day. I now have several other credit cards as well. After February 22nd, banks or credit unions may require individuals under the age of 21 to provide proof of income. Good luck to you and your daughter! Smiley Wink

Starting Score: 665
Current Score: 715
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

+1 Discover Student

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

thanks for all of the suggestions, it sounds like a good way to go..i guess when she come home we will sit down and look in to some credit  unions..thats sounds like a winner....this forum is the best thing that happen to me...everyone is so helpful....Smiley Happy
Message Edited by ladydi on 01-28-2010 07:51 PM
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@pattycake wrote:
Congrats to you for directing her to being a responsible adult! I had my son apply for a student Discover Card, and he was approved for $1000. He's only allowed to use it sparingly, since he does not have a regular job.

Good luck!

do they ask for any kind of any income from him?
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.