Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

applying for credit card with bad credit

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

applying for credit card with bad credit

i want to apply for a credit card but the last 2 times i've tried to do that i was denied because i have bad credit. I've paid off more than half of my debt since the last time i applied and I also had a citibank student credit card that has since been in collections (for 5 years) and that account will be paid in full july 2008. i want a credit card to help boost my credit score, should i wait until that citicard is pif or try now,I just don't want that inquiry on my credit report because i know that the inquiries lower your score also....

Message Edited by hlpmebettermycreditplz on 04-20-2008 05:43 PM
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: applying for credit card with bad credit

What type of scores to you have? There is a site called Whogavemecredit.com you can look at. Could be helpful.
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, we'd need to know your scores.

You might want to try applying with Bank of America. If you miss the mark, they may counteroffer with a "99/500" card, where you put a $99 deposit down for a credit card with a $500 limit. Definitely a good deal, and they DO graduate from secured to unsecured, generally in 6 to 12 months provided you keep a clean credit history. In the meantime, it's a positive tradeline reporting as such, which helps to wear away at the damage done to your credit by your previous mis-steps.

I would also contact the bank you have a checking account at. If you have an established, good relationship with a bank, that's as good as 30 to 50 FICO points in terms of getting a credit card backed by them.
Message 3 of 7
FretlessMayhem
Senior Contributor

I concur with the others. What do your scores look like?
Here we go again...
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

bad tu 529  exp 502 eqf 624
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

with you EQ score- I would work with your local Credit union and open a checking account and ask about CC-

When was your last late?

hlpmebettermycreditplz wrote:
bad tu 529  exp 502 eqf 624

Message 6 of 7
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@Anonymous wrote:

bad tu 529 exp 502 eqf 624

And also, just to confirm, are these FICO scores, bought here at myFICO.com? If you got your scores from TrueCredit, etc., they're not FICO's. (Just making sure.)
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.