Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

applying for my 1st credit card

tag
doctor2be
Valued Member

applying for my 1st credit card

can someone help me???? my TU score is 677 and EQ is 669 and the only installment loan that I have is 3800 school loan-----does anyone know if i will be rejected by an unsecured credit card or should i go for secured
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Chopbrocoli
Established Contributor

Re: applying for my 1st credit card

Who do you bank with? Usually they will be glad to start you out with an unsecured student CC without any hassle. So I would definitely try your bank 1st. You may also want to try looking into products offered by credit unions.
AMEX Gold Premier Rewards | SPG AMEX | Bank of America Power Rewards | Merrill Plus | United Presidential Plus | Saks World Elite
Message 2 of 6
_mkb

My first CC was with Citi back in 2005 (their college card - I was a freshman). I have no idea what my score was back then, but I imagine much lower than yours is now - I had a baddie on my CR that I wasn't aware of until within the last year (since removed because it was a med account from when I was 15) and a few student loans (recent, too - my approval was in November and I'd just started school in August), but nothing else. They gave me $1500 back then and a $300 CLI a few months later. I know the market is much different now, but they still give out regular CLIs, so they may still be a good bet.

You can also try some of the preapproval sites - they're soft pulls and might give you an idea of who will approve you if you actually applied. 

Message 3 of 6
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

doctor2be wrote:
can someone help me???? my TU score is 677 and EQ is 669 and the only installment loan that I have is 3800 school loan-----does anyone know if i will be rejected by an unsecured credit card or should i go for secured
I'm looking at your screen name --are you pre-med? already in med school? Have you taken the MCAT's yet?

I ask because my daughter was flooded with offers after she took her MCAT's.

If you're still in college, is your school associated with a credit union that offers CC's? If so, I'd get in with them first and avoid the hassle that the big banks are putting people through these days.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 4 of 6
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

Are you a student in professional school (Business, Law, Medical)? If so check with your student affairs office and see if your school/program is affilliated with the Professional Services program at a financial institution. That was my toehold into the credit world many years ago when I was in business school and it was an excellent program. (Too bad I blew it later on.)

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'd suggest you try to apply for prime student CC - Citi Forward and Discover More (student version).
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.