Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

applying for new credit or cli

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

applying for new credit or cli

Hi all, been off board a while.  I know that there were some changes to the credit world regarding income info ... I just want to make sure I fully understand before doing something silly.  I am a stay at home mom with no income on my own at this time ... if I were to apply to a mailed credit solicitation or try to get a cli on one of my cards only in my name ... is that possible anymore?  How about onsite store cards as I'm shopping?  How about if it's a joint account IE: my costco amex w/husband on it ... if I want to try to get a cli ... do I put the household income on it like I did when I applied and since it's both our cards?   Would it be better to call in and ask them for a cli?

If the answer is no ... I'm really disliking the way this works.  I have good credit, have had my own income before ... it's just better for us at this time for me to be home with the kids and I feel like I'm being punished for choosing to do so.  I guess I'm lucky in the sense that I have established credit and a few cards in my name only ... I couldn't imagine a woman (or stay at home dad)  trying to get her(his) credit started independently from her husband(wife) at this time!

Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

Re: applying for new credit or cli

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi all, been off board a while.  I know that there were some changes to the credit world regarding income info ... I just want to make sure I fully understand before doing something silly.  I am a stay at home mom with no income on my own at this time ... if I were to apply to a mailed credit solicitation or try to get a cli on one of my cards only in my name ... is that possible anymore?  How about onsite store cards as I'm shopping?  How about if it's a joint account IE: my costco amex w/husband on it ... if I want to try to get a cli ... do I put the household income on it like I did when I applied and since it's both our cards?   Would it be better to call in and ask them for a cli?

If the answer is no ... I'm really disliking the way this works.  I have good credit, have had my own income before ... it's just better for us at this time for me to be home with the kids and I feel like I'm being punished for choosing to do so.  I guess I'm lucky in the sense that I have established credit and a few cards in my name only ... I couldn't imagine a woman (or stay at home dad)  trying to get her(his) credit started independently from her husband(wife) at this time!

The short answer is no, you can no longer use household income on credit appliations. Here's a really good article about it: http://www.creditcards.com/credit-card-news/stay-at-home-parent-credit-cards-household-income-1282.php

You can be added as an authorized user on your husband's credit cards. This will help add to your credit history as well; though if at any point you are removed as an AU, the entire history would disappear from your CR.

This part of the credit card act really sets women back, IMO. I think it was intended for college students using their parents' income to qualify for cards they couldn't pay for. But it doesn't distinguish that, and therefore makes it nealy impossible for SAHMs to establish their own credit.

Re: CLIs, I don't think it matters if you call or do it online. They usually ask the same info.

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 2 of 24
mmduluth
Frequent Contributor

This is probably the most unfair part of the CC act. I understand where they are coming from but the law should definitely be looked over and refined as to not punish the stay at home parent.

EQ FICO - 718 - 01/10/2012 EX FICO - 732 - 04/28/2012 (AMEX)

Cap1 Platinum (1000) Macy’s (2000) Chase Freedom (3000) Kohls (600) Best Buy (2700) Amex BCE (8200) Chase Sapphire (5000) CarCare1 (1600) Discover IT (4000)
Message 3 of 24
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

@mmduluth wrote:

This is probably the most unfair part of the CC act. I understand where they are coming from but the law should definitely be looked over and refined as to not punish the stay at home parent.

+1!

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 4 of 24
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@mmduluth wrote:

+1

It really needs to be looked at.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 5 of 24
mmduluth
Frequent Contributor

I'll even give an example as to how it could work. When asked for your employment information on apps, they should have the option for stay at home parent. They could verify that you are indeed able to pay for your debts by providing bank statements or something from joint bank accounts. Are there flaws in this? Yes. But I'm not a law maker. They should be able to find SOMETHING that makes this work.

Cap1 Platinum (1000) Macy’s (2000) Chase Freedom (3000) Kohls (600) Best Buy (2700) Amex BCE (8200) Chase Sapphire (5000) CarCare1 (1600) Discover IT (4000)
Message 6 of 24
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

sent you private message

Message 7 of 24
drkaje
Senior Contributor

How are they going to make that work in cases when 2 people are claiming an ability to pay 2 debts from one income?

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 8 of 24
mmduluth
Frequent Contributor

@drkaje wrote:

How are they going to make that work in cases when 2 people are claiming an ability to pay 2 debts from one income?

Like I said, the details are for someone else to figure out. I'm just the brainstormer. Smiley LOL

Message 9 of 24
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@mmduluth wrote:

@drkaje wrote:

Like I said, the details are for someone else to figure out. I'm just the brainstormer. Smiley LOL

Good response Smiley Very Happy

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 10 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.