Established Contributor
compassion101

applying payments with variable interest rates

With the changes in the law in 2009 can someone confirm if I have this correct please. For example say I have the following balance on a credit card:

$100 at 0%

$100 at 10% interest

minimum interest is $2/mnth

minimum payment $25

I pay $100 that month. The first $2 goes to pay the interest, the rest of the $23 of the minimum payment can go wherever the CCC wants to apply it (obv they would choose the 0% APR). The other $75 must go to the 10% interest balance as per the CCA2009 . 

So the new balnace would be

$77 @ 0%

$25 @ 10%

Senior Contributor
Wolf3

Re: applying payments with variable interest rates

compassion101 wrote:

With the changes in the law in 2009 can someone confirm if I have this correct please. For example say I have the following balance on a credit card:

$100 at 0%

$100 at 10% interest

minimum interest is $2/mnth

minimum payment $25

I pay $100 that month. The first $2 goes to pay the interest, the rest of the $23 of the minimum payment can go wherever the CCC wants to apply it (obv they would choose the 0% APR). The other $75 must go to the 10% interest balance as per the CCA2009 . 

So the new balnace would be

$77 @ 0%

$25 @ 10%

It depends:

If the 0% is a defferred interest deal, then it all has to go to the 10%, unless you are within 60 days of experiration then it all goes to deffered interest.

Not sure if it does not expire.

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}