Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

are you more loyal to amex?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: are you more loyal to amex?

I only use Amex at Costco and supermarkets. I also have Sallie Mae. So, I'm pretty "meh" when a place doesn't take Amex. I get equal or better rewards from other cards everywhere else. 

Message 11 of 23
CarbonCard
Established Contributor

I'm pretty dang loyal to Amex. And besides, the places I shop to (online and brick and mortar stores) accepts Amex..

Starting Score: (1/15)TU: 690 EX: 690 EQ: 711
Current Score: (10/18) TU-8: 813 EX-8: 808 EQ: 797
Goal Score: (7/20) 800+ for all three bureaus

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 12 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

NO, there  is not such thing in the credit world as loyalty.  Loyalty to a credit card is for suckers.Smiley Tongue

Message 13 of 23
Brusilov
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I only use Amex at Costco and supermarkets. I also have Sallie Mae. So, I'm pretty "meh" when a place doesn't take Amex. I get equal or better rewards from other cards everywhere else. 

Pretty much the same here.  Use my BCP at supermarkets exclusively and have never been to one that didn't take AMEX.  And I use my Delta card exclusively for Delta purchases.

Message 14 of 23
1GaDawg85
Valued Contributor

I'm only really loyal to NFCU but the rest? Nah, I could care less

FICO 5 ,4, 2 - 10/2023                            FICO 8 - 10/2023                                   FICO 9 - 10/2023                                   FICO 10 - 10/2023

Message 15 of 23
bobebob
Frequent Contributor

I won't shop at a place just because they take AMEX.  That said, I do try to use AMEX if they take it so I can max out my cash back.

But I have several alternatives to AMEX in my wallet.

bobebob || Nov: My FICO SW EQ(Upgraded Version) = 822 ||Sept: Walmart TU Fico=838Goal = FICO's>800 || In my wallet: CostcoAmEx(20k), DCU Visa Platinum (10k), BoA Visa Signature (17.1k), Walmart Discover (7.5k), AmEx Corporate (5k). All PIF every month.
Message 16 of 23
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I couldn't care less whether or not a store takes Amex. 

BINGO we have a winner !!

Not just because I have a bias against AmEx (I do)

For the last 7 years I have and continue to volunteer at a large regional park system - some of that time I held p/t positions that were paid but most of the time I worked and do work for free. None of the parks, and some are major operations for Golf, Camping, Boating, Waterparks, etc take Discover - they do take AmEx and MC/V. you think people should walk out or never return because they don't take Discover?  

Edit/Add:  Say you received $100,000 from a long lost relative as your's to "spend" as you wish, but you had to spend it rather than bank it or invest it. You are given the option, a prepaid card with NO cash option, but your choice Discover Network, MC/Visa Network, or AmEx Network where the card could ONLY be used with the branded network (merchant acceptance). Which network would you choose? Anything but MC/Visa would be foolish because that is the golden child universally accepted card - not discover, not Amex.

I understand rewards, better than you know, I understand brand loyality but to say "I'll walk out and never come back" if they don't take accept a card that cost them twice as much as other networks, means you bought the marketing and drank the kool- aide in my eyes.

Message 17 of 23
Open123
Super Contributor

@pipeguy wrote:

I understand rewards, better than you know, I understand brand loyality but to say "I'll walk out and never come back" if they don't take accept a card that cost them twice as much as other networks, means you bought the marketing and drank the kool- aide in my eyes.

I couldn't care less about what costs Merchants incur, it only matters to me what my net costs are when it's all said and done.  For similar goods, if both Merchants have a similar asking price, then I should opt for the CC with the highest rebate for me.  In my case, for non bonus spending, it happens to be SPG points, hence my preference for Amex.

Conversely, if it happens to be my 5% restaurant or 5% Dept store, then I'll use Visa/MC/Disc/JCB, or whatever card offers me the greatest rebate.  What CC fees Merchants incur will never factor into my thinking, unless they offer me a cash discount which is greater than my CC rebates.  However, in the case for similar goods and similar pricing, you bet I'd walk out and buy it elsewhere if a Merchant insists on a form of payment which limits my rebate.

*Edited* PS - If Merchants offer me a cash price discount that supercedes my CC rebates, invariably I'll opt for cash, such as with certain gas stations here.

Message 18 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

i like to use amex for the finer things i buy , everything i rotate. Smiley Very Happy 

Message 19 of 23
taxi818
Super Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

@pipeguy wrote:

I couldn't care less about what costs Merchants incur, it only matters to me what my net costs are when it's all said and done.  For similar goods, if both Merchants have a similar asking price, then I should opt for the CC with the highest rebate for me.  In my case, for non bonus spending, it happens to be SPG points, hence my preference for Amex.

Conversely, if it happens to be my 5% restaurant or 5% Dept store, then I'll use Visa/MC/Disc/JCB, or whatever card offers me the greatest rebate.  What CC fees Merchants incur will never factor into my thinking, unless they offer me a cash discount which is greater than my CC rebates.  However, in the case for similar goods and similar pricing, you bet I'd walk out and buy it elsewhere if a Merchant insists on a form of payment which limits my rebate.

*Edited* PS - If Merchants offer me a cash price discount that supercedes my CC rebates, invariably I'll opt for cash, such as with certain gas stations here.

I would not walk about. but im not concerned with their cost. its a business. build your profit base into your business. not my issue that amex charges more. if you want the amex customer then raise the price of your goods. but anyway . i take exception to 1 store. a gas station here in florida. owned by one of out mumbai residents. i will walk out. as he take credit cards. all networks. but demands that if i use my card. that i spend 10 dollar. Puck you comes to mind. when i go in there. you can't dictate how much i spend. so i say. give me 3 dollars on pump 1. heheheheSmiley Very Happy

Message 20 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.