Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

asking barclay for lower apr?

tag
ddemari
Super Contributor

asking barclay for lower apr?

I think instead of applying for something, maybe I will call barclays an ask for the apr to be reduced on my US airways card. I recieved the highest tier of apr 3 months ag when approved. Now that my score is nearly 80 points higher than when I applied for it. Do you think I can ask them? Also, does anyone know the number for apr reductions?

Or is it just the standard backdoor analyst number? 

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: asking barclay for lower apr?

@ddemari wrote:

I think instead of applying for something, maybe I will call barclays an ask for the apr to be reduced on my US airways card. I recieved the highest tier of apr 3 months ag when approved. Now that my score is nearly 80 points higher than when I applied for it. Do you think I can ask them? Also, does anyone know the number for apr reductions?

Or is it just the standard backdoor analyst number? 

Don't know where you need to call, but Barclays does do APR reductions, however, it is not guaranteed and you may have to wait. Some people have reported calling for several months before their APR was reduced. They may want you to wait 6 months, but it can't hurt to ask.

Message 2 of 9
OffToBetterStart
Valued Member

I just had my apr lowered all i did was call the number on the card and they was able to do it for me. But i had the card for a year before i tried . As usuall YMMV with cc.

NFCU Cash Rewards $10,000 -Cap 1 Venture $10,750 - Care Credit $7,000 - Cap 1 Quicksilver $5,000 - Cap 1 Venture 1 $5,000 - Barclays Arrival $6,150 - Barclay Rewards $3,190 -Cap 1 Quicksilver $6,000 - Walmart $700
BK7 Discharge 1/04/2013
Current Scores EX (657) EQ (671) TU (644)
Message 3 of 9
ddemari
Super Contributor

I think ill wait then
Message 4 of 9
Skye12329
Valued Contributor

Not sure if it's required or not with barclays but some lenders will tell you to either wait 1 year or wait till your promo apr is done if you have one.
BK7 - 2/21
Cap1 QS - 2k (4/21)
Mission Lane - 4k (11/21)
Venmo - 900 (11/21)
SavorOne - 2500 (12/21)
VentureOne - 2000 (7/22)
Message 5 of 9
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

@ddemari wrote:
I think ill wait then

I think you can call now and try. I got approved for the card two weeks ago and sent a SM due to the high APR and was told I should call and it would be lowered. Well I did call but the rep did not manage to modify the APR due to the fact that the card had not been used yet. But I did get an APR reduction on the Arrival +  and also CLI on both the Arrival + and US Airways cards. The rep told me to call back once the card has some usage. So you might be successful. Good luck !

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Since its 3 monthssince you got the card i think they would want you to wait at least 6 months.

Message 7 of 9
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Since its 3 monthssince you got the card i think they would want you to wait at least 6 months.

x1 - plus a lot would depend on your profile OP.  So, it may take some time before you see that APR reduced.

Message 8 of 9
ddemari
Super Contributor

Ive been with barclays for 15 months with other cards. Im just gonna ride it out, i was feeling antsy this am for some reason lol
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.