Did you mean: 

at a loss for words with AMEX

tag
red259
Super Contributor

Re: at a loss for words with AMEX

@trumpet-205 wrote:

@bigblue7722 wrote:

I know it doesnt say it anywhere. What the heck is going on with AMEX? It seems like they are forcing people away from the charge cards. I wouldnt be shocked if they stopped them all together. The green charge, and im sorry to anyone that has it, is by far the worst card out there because of the free everyday card earning the same points well more with the bonus and no AF. 

Green is a charge card, that means AMEX must fund the reward program solely from AF, whereas Everyday collects interest to offset reward program.

I keep seeing this but I do not think it is true. As far as I know Amex makes money off the swipe fees with charge cards just like they do with revolvers, so clearly there is more profit there than just an AF. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 21 of 37
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

@red259 wrote:

I keep seeing this but I do not think it is true. As far as I know Amex makes money off the swipe fees with charge cards just like they do with revolvers, so clearly there is more profit there than just an AF. 

When AMEX do collect swipe fee (typically 1% higher than competitors), it alone is hardly enough to fund the reward program. On top of that, a portion of swipe fee collected from merchant goes to merchant's payment processor.

Even AMEX's Senior Green without rewards charges $35 AF.

Message 22 of 37
red259
Super Contributor

@trumpet-205 wrote:

@red259 wrote:

When AMEX do collect swipe fee (typically 1% higher than competitors), it alone is hardly enough to fund the reward program. On top of that, a portion of swipe fee collected from merchant goes to merchant's payment processor.

Even AMEX's Senior Green without rewards charges $35 AF.

Except you were claiming that Amex must fund the charge cards solely from AF. 

;
Message 23 of 37
bigblue7722
Valued Contributor

@slap_happy wrote:
Guys, I accept correction, always assumed the prg had concierge, didn't realize it doesn't say it anywhere. Can't believe it doesn't, wow.

yep pretty crazy 175 bucks a year cant even get a concierrge service yet visa sig card which they hand out like candy now a days has it. 

AMEX PRG NPSL,Lowes $17000,Capital One venture card $12,000,Us Airways mastercard $9500,Fidelity Amex $9000, Discover it $8000, Capital One Venture One $7500, BOA 123 rewards $7500 CSP $6000, Capital One Quicksliver $5500, Amazon Store card$5000,Barclay
Card Ring $5000 Chase Marriott $5000,Chase Hyatt $5000, Sallie Mae Mastercard $4400, Paypal smart connect $4000,Chase Freedom $3200, Capital one Quicksliver visa $3000, Chase IHG Rewards $2300, Chase Southwest Premier $2000, Citi Double Cash $1500, AMEX BCE $1000

Last app July 22nd 2015- No apps for two years.
Message 24 of 37
slap_happy
Frequent Contributor

@bigblue7722 wrote:

@slap_happy wrote:
Guys, I accept correction, always assumed the prg had concierge, didn't realize it doesn't say it anywhere. Can't believe it doesn't, wow.

yep pretty crazy 175 bucks a year cant even get a concierrge service yet visa sig card which they hand out like candy now a days has it. 

exactly! that is why I always assumed gold had it, heck, I even thought green had it, how can it not when I have a few visa siggys that are no AF and have it! but I guess not.

Message 25 of 37
WNA888
New Contributor

So this thread is basicly about someone getting pissed over AMEX for not offering a service they never advertised. Uhmmmmm okaaaaaaaaaay.... lol people nowadays.

/brb. Let me make a thread complaining about AMEX for refusing to send a maid to my home to make it looks nice and neat.

Barclaycard TU FICO Score : 826 [1/12/15]
Message 26 of 37
red259
Super Contributor

@WNA888 wrote:

So this thread is basicly about someone getting pissed over AMEX for not offering a service they never advertised. Uhmmmmm okaaaaaaaaaay.... lol people nowadays.

/brb. Let me make a thread complaining about AMEX for refusing to send a maid to my home to make it looks nice and neat.

I don't know what you are talking about. I got my maid yesterday! 

;
Message 27 of 37
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@WNA888 wrote:

Making it very different from many other threads where people get mad over being denied cards or CLIs which were never promised either!

Message 28 of 37
red259
Super Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@WNA888 wrote:

Making it very different from many other threads where people get mad over being denied cards or CLIs which were never promised either!

Even better was the person going on and on about how great the concierge service was on their card when the card didn't even have it!

;
Message 29 of 37
WNA888
New Contributor

I facepalmed when I saw a guy with 1,200+ posts made this thread.

Barclaycard TU FICO Score : 826 [1/12/15]
Message 30 of 37
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.