Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

authorized user or Additional Card Member

tag
distantarray
Established Contributor

authorized user or Additional Card Member

so question never really asked or seen the need before. If someone adds a person as an authorized user or ACM  (amex term) and closes the account does the authorized user keep the account on their reports for 10 years?

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

Re: authorized user or Additional Card Member

I think it should stop reporting.  I'm basing that off of the situation where the AU account is closed, but the main account stays open.  In that case, the AU account is supposed to stop reporting.  In practice, the AU account often stays on the report and the former AU has to dispute the account as "not mine" and then it will drop off.  So while it should stop reporting, I wouldn't be surprised to learn that it continues to stay on the report in a lot of instances.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 7
distantarray
Established Contributor

hmmm anyone want to test this theory out before they close their next card? =)

Message 3 of 7
Brandnick
New Contributor

Yes tested my wife had me on your Amex card as a AU for about 2 year back starting in 2005. I asked to be removed because she was going to start managing paying her cards by herself. since I was not confident that she would pay on time my request was granted. It's still showing on my credit reports Smiley Happy all good standing but closed . 

Good thing I did as I was right she started to be late on her payment. 

Current Score: 771 - 11/21/2012/ Amex Pull
Late Payment: 0 / Collections: 0
AAOA: 6.3 Years

"My Scores Yesterday or Last week or even Last month has no value when applying for credit today. The value is not in my score but the information in my credit file. Once the information is good the score will follow"
Message 4 of 7
BearsAndTurtlesRtheBest
Senior Contributor

Just get yourself removed from the account and dispute it as "im no longer liable for this account". We just did that it it only took less than a month for the two accts to be removed from credi report.

Discover IT $2,600- First Premier MasterCard $1,000- Dillards Store Card $300- Fingerhut Advantage $200
Chapter 7 BK Dischagred on 07/11/16. Gardening Since 01/17/2019
Message 5 of 7
Brandnick
New Contributor

I want this TL is a good, I have no intention of requesting it be removed because all the bad happened after I was removed by Amex upon my wife request 

Current Score: 771 - 11/21/2012/ Amex Pull
Late Payment: 0 / Collections: 0
AAOA: 6.3 Years

"My Scores Yesterday or Last week or even Last month has no value when applying for credit today. The value is not in my score but the information in my credit file. Once the information is good the score will follow"
Message 6 of 7
distantarray
Established Contributor

@BearsAndTurtlesRtheBest wrote:

Just get yourself removed from the account and dispute it as "im no longer liable for this account". We just did that it it only took less than a month for the two accts to be removed from credi report.

i wouldn't want it removed, if the account is closed just wonder if it would stay on the reports. Generally good closed accounts are still good closed accounts =p

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.