Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

authorized user?

tag
jrdenver
Established Member

authorized user?

If I wanted to be "removed" as an authorized user, can I do that through the CC company, or does the original account holder have to do that?

TransUnion 696 4/15/2010
Equifax 683 4/15/2010

TransUnion 675 8/30/2010
Equifax 688 8/30/2010

Still trying to get my scores up =\ Opening new trades in the last 12 months didn't help. =(
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Jazzzy
Valued Contributor

Re: authorized user?

I believe you can call the credit card company yourself.

Message 2 of 6
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Some banks require the account holder himself/ herself to remove AU's. If that's the case with your card, and if the cardholder won't remove you, you'll have to dispute through the CRA's as "not mine."

But it's way simpler to go through the bank/ lender, so I'd try this first.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Usually when the lender/CCC won't allow you to remove yourself, it is because of "identity protection and policy" that they will only speak to the primary on the account related to anything on the account.

However, if you send a letter addressed to the CCC, identifying yourself as an AU, describing how they report this account on your CR, and that you want to be removed and revoke any authorization for them to report to the CRA's....;..they will generlly comply because they are nor discussing nor providing you any information.

IME Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 6
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

I'll get DH and DD#2 to try this with American Express. They wanted us to pay for full reports from EX to get their report number (they've pulled their freebie already), which I think is nonsense. If I'm calling as the cardholder, and I'm asking AmEx to cease reporting these accounts to the former AU's credit bureaus, then they ought to do so, period.

Not only did the card shorten their AAoA, it had to be replaced due to fraudulent activity, and the duplicate card reports as well. This despite the fact that they were no longer AU's when I got the duplicate. sheesh
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Usually when the lender/CCC won't allow you to remove yourself, it is because of "identity protection and policy" that they will only speak to the primary on the account related to anything on the account.

However, if you send a letter addressed to the CCC, identifying yourself as an AU, describing how they report this account on your CR, and that you want to be removed and revoke any authorization for them to report to the CRA's....;..they will generlly comply because they are nor discussing nor providing you any information.

IME Smiley Happy

+1 

I removed myself from my girlfriends CC by letter. Just explain that you do not own the account and do not wish to be listed as an AU.

CB

Message Edited by charliebrown1370 on 01-25-2010 07:07 AM
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.