Regular Contributor
jaraico

balance transfer...rewards question???

i opened a new card and if i spend 500 bucks in the first three months i get 100 cash back, question is if i do a balance transfer does that meet the requirements to get points?

thanks in advanace!

Barclays TU: 760 MyFico EX: 746 EQ:?

09Lexie

Re: balance transfer...rewards question???

Most T&Cs will say no, BTs and cash advances would not satisfy the spend requirement.
Frequent Contributor
MissCredit9

I found myself asking this question in the past.... YMMV but for me the answer was no.

AMEX PRG NPSL, CITI DIAMOND PREFERRED 20K, FIDELITY AMEX 20K, CHASE SAPPHIRE PREFERRED 15K, AMEX DELTA SKYMILES GOLD 6K, CHASE MARRIOTT PREMIER 5K, BARCLAYCARD REWARDS MASTERCARD 4K, CAPITAL ONE QUICKSILVER 3K, AMAZON STORECARD 6K, VICTORIAS SECRET 1050, EXPRESS NEXT 650
Established Contributor
TiggerDat

Nope, in most (if not all) instances the balance transfer does not count.  Usually in the application it tells you this, you might not have noticed it though.  Also, the best place to ask this question is the bank itself, as some might have different rules!  However, I believe 99.9999999999999999999999% of the banks don't allow a balance transfer to qualify for the cash back.

Rethink every purchase you make, before you make it. Use the card with the best rewards. Pay in full each month. Redeem rewards often. Use the cards online shopping for more discounts. Smile, knowing that being thrifty allows you to actually get more out of the same amount of money!
Valued Contributor
maiden_girl

No, a balance transfer does not incur rewards. You have to make a "purchase" within the specified time frame to qualify for the reward.

The truth is out there...
FICO scores: 764 (EQ) 732 (EX) 757 (TU) 9/14 | Goal score: 750+ (all 3)
Tradelines: Capital One QS NPSL (5.0k) | Discover IT (6.0k) | Walmart Mastercard (5.0k) | Chase Freedom NPSL (7.3k) | Citi Simplicity (9.3k)

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}