cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

bank of america simply sending a card in the mail?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

bank of america simply sending a card in the mail?

so in 2005, I had a Bank of America card for a couple of months, with a $700 credit limit and no rewards. i got a Citi and a MBNA Amex (back when MBNA was standalone in the USA), so I closed the account. about a year later, BoA surprisingly sent me a card in the mail (their Platinum Plus Visa) with a 3K credit limit. They did not ask me permission for this, but I just activated it anyway. is this legal, anyway?

i used the card a few times but it's been sockdrawered ever since. has anyone ever heard of BoA doing this sort of thing before? I've also gotten cards in the mail from Discover, but they've only been fake paper ones with their pre-approval forms. BoA's card was a real, working one that I activated and then used...
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: bank of america simply sending a card in the mail?

Very similar thing happened to me. I had an MBNA CC and a BoA CC from 1998. Somehow I just stopped using the BoA.

Then MBNA was bought by BoA and then the troubles started. I ended up in a payment plan to payoff my MBNA/BoA. It's now reported as closed by consumer with a bunch of lates from 3 years ago. Then after PIF back in January, BoA sent me a card in the mail. I had completely forgotten about my original BoA CC. Called them thinking they had rehabbed my MBNA, no such luck. It was the original BoA card, pays as agreed, but only $500 CL. Not bad, great for history points.
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: bank of america simply sending a card in the mail?

what's interesting about this in particular is that my card start date says member since 06 (when they gave me the new card) as opposed to since 05. And the 05 card shows as closed by consumer on my credit reports, and the new card is reported as a new account opened in 06.

I know exactly what credit cards I've applied for, and I did not apply for it. I also don't think it registered as a hard inq. on my credit report because I did not ask for it (I think they did a soft and just gave me a new line to try to entice me to do business with them again to me which is weird).

people seem to have really good experiences with BoA CLI's - I personally never did when I had their first student card and only got good CLI's from Citi and Amex. Now I think my card is a general consumer one (and I just product changed to BankAmericard) so I don't think all the student restrictions/qualifications are going to be a problem at this point.
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.