Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

barclay arrival vs chase SP vs Capone venture

tag
slap_happy
Frequent Contributor

barclay arrival vs chase SP vs Capone venture

hey guys, been having conversations on the boards the last few days and it seems like one of these will be the next card I app for due to the 2x uncapped on all purchases

which would you think is the harder card to get, I have a chase freedom for a few years so at least I have a relationship with chase nothing on barclay.

I do have 3 inquires within the last year but all of them led to approvals. fico is in the 690-710 range depending on cr pulled but also this month I paid down lots of debt so its probably a little higher now. thoughts?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Laugh
Frequent Contributor

Re: barclay arrival vs chase SP vs Capone venture

The CSP wins hand down since you have the freedom. You'll be able to accumulate points much faster if you take advantage of the freedom categories and UR mall.

An UR point is worth the most when you transfer to an airline.

I, too, am contemplating whether to apply for the arrival (40k) or not.

Yesterday I decided to apply for a credit limit increase online on my Sallie Mae card. It turned out to be a hard pull. I honestly believed it would be a soft pull. So back to square one..very disappointed in the way things played out yesterday.

I'll trade in my bronze spade after I get back from work. Just left home
Cards: CSP 6k, Chase Freedom 6k, BCP 7.5k, Sallie Mae 8.9k, Discover 5k, BOFA Better Rewards 3.8k
Message 2 of 7
Cdnewmanpac
Established Contributor

The CSP is really a different category from the arrival and venture. Arrival and venture earn points that have a fixed value of 1 cent per point.

The CSP earns ultimate rewards points, which can be converted to partner hotel or airline points where, with the right redemption opportunity, you can get close to 3 cents/point. You do not earn 2 points/dollar across the board, just on travel and restaurants. But, points you earn on your freedom can be transferred to ultimate rewards points, so you can earn as much as 5 points/dollar in points that can be worth up to 3 cents/point. However, that only matters if you intend to convert your UR points to airline or hotel points and if you will accumulate enough of them for redemption and if you value such redemptions. As a pure cash back card, it may not offer the same value as the other two.

Another thing to consider: if you are getting this card because you travel a lot, especially internationally, you may want to ask yourself who you want to be on the phone with if something goes wrong: barclay's, capital one or the CSP direct line?

In wallet: Ink Plus 10k, AMEX TE 25k. In bag: CSP 16k, USAA WMC 15k, Hyatt 13k, United MPE 12k, AMEX HHonors 3k. In SD: Cap 1 QS 5k, Discover IT 7k. FICO 08 says my EQ is now 844, was 510 in 2010.
Message 3 of 7
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Message 4 of 7
ryanbush
Valued Contributor

the CSP customer service is Great, the only thing that is a clost second is AMEX Platinum and the only reason it's second is becasue I have to enter my card number when I call versus Chase just picking up.

Chase Sapphire Perferred | Chase Freedom | AMEX Platinum | AMEX Delta Platinum | AMEX SPG | Capital One Venture | Capital One Quicksliver | Discover IT | ABFCU Visa | Citi AA WEMC
Message 5 of 7
TheConductor
Established Contributor

Of the cards you listed, I agree that CSP is the way to go.

I'd advocate giving Amex SPG a look as well.  Starpoints can be redeemed for excellent value, so if you like to travel it can be every bit as good as the CSP.

Since you already have a relationship with Amex, it'd have the extra advantage of backdating.

Starting: EQ 622 (myFICO 7/7/12), EX 696 (TU FAKO 8/14/12), TU 621 (CK TransRisk 7/24/12), Total CL $1k on 2 TLs
Current: EQ 709 (CCT 2/4/15), EX 704 (CCT 2/4/15) , TU 702 (CCT 2/4/15), Total CL $110.3k on 14 TLs Goal: 740+ x3
My Wallet: Amex BCP $30k, Chase United Explorer $16k, Amex SPG $13.5k, Barclaycard Ring MC $12.5k, Chase CSP VS $12.2k, Discover it $10.5k, C1 Venture VS $6.5k, Chase Slate $3.5k, Amex Hilton Surpass $2k, Barclaycard Apple V $2k, Chase Freedom V $1100, BoA Cash Rewards V $500, Citi BestBuy $500
My Loans: Prosper $25k/36mo, Prosper $17k/36mo
My Business: Chase Ink VS $5k, Amex BRG NPSL (> 10k),
Message 6 of 7
CREDITSURFER
Frequent Contributor

my next app spree ill be looking for a travel card. but this whole point system rattles my brain. lol

Mouse over for CL
FICO EQ (670) 9/6, TUwalmart (725) 11/4, Discover FICO (725) 11/19, AMEX EX Pull (728) 11/29
GOAL: 750 with all
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.