Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

barclay chip card

tag
phillyguy12
Frequent Contributor

barclay chip card

sorry if already discussed else where, i noticed today my barclay rewards mc has info about the chip card  when i sign in, i am yet to recieve an updated card but suspect i will soon enough. i clicked around in their info area  and it appears they are rolling out  dual support  on their cards, it says its both chip and sig, and chip and pin, it says its set to default to chip and siginature but  stand alone terminals/machines may prompt for pin- it says things like ticket and vending machines may prompt for pin.  they also point out there is only 1 pin for the card, its the same one you would use if you used it for a cash advance at an atm. i guess i will have to reset my pin cause i have no clue what it is lol

i am suprised i thought the us version of the emv was either or not both for some reason.

Amx BCE-25k,Amx Zync-NSPL
Barclay's Mastercard-13.5k
Credit Union Visa-1k
Discover-24k, Khols-2k
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
ddemari
Super Contributor

Re: barclay chip card

Barclays has updated my account with SallieMae with emv but have not received it yet. They will send them out from now till end of September.

Message 2 of 7
DeeBee78
Valued Contributor

@phillyguy12 wrote:

sorry if already discussed else where, i noticed today my barclay rewards mc has info about the chip card  when i sign in, i am yet to recieve an updated card but suspect i will soon enough. i clicked around in their info area  and it appears they are rolling out  dual support  on their cards, it says its both chip and sig, and chip and pin, it says its set to default to chip and siginature but  stand alone terminals/machines may prompt for pin- it says things like ticket and vending machines may prompt for pin.  they also point out there is only 1 pin for the card, its the same one you would use if you used it for a cash advance at an atm. i guess i will have to reset my pin cause i have no clue what it is lol

i am suprised i thought the us version of the emv was either or not both for some reason.

If I had to guess why, I'd say it's because Barclays is a world bank. They're probably saving a ton of money in the long run.by making the cards chip & PIN/Signature for maximum compatibility. 

I think other banks are doing the bare minimum for PCI compliance. In my opinion they're probably not happy about having to re-issue several hundred million unexpired cards, and they want to do it as cheap as possible. 

Again, just a guess.

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I got my emv chip card but I dont remember my pin either and have so far not been asked for it. Maybe we wont be asked for it until october when all the upgrades are due. 

Message 4 of 7
phillyguy12
Frequent Contributor

The site says most cases it will be chip and sig only unattended stations may ask for pin it also says you can change the pin online but need to complete a non pin trans before the new pin will be activated
Amx BCE-25k,Amx Zync-NSPL
Barclay's Mastercard-13.5k
Credit Union Visa-1k
Discover-24k, Khols-2k
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ive only found 2-3 places that even have their chip readers turned on, in the last 6-7 months. All my cards have it, its almost pointless in the US right now.

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ddemari wrote:

Barclays has updated my account with SallieMae with emv but have not received it yet. They will send them out from now till end of September.

That is interesting as I called and the outsourced scripted CRs who said they would issue the Barclays EMV Chipped cards sometime and that was that. So ... experienced a damaged card and ordered a replacement and ... it came EMV Chipped for use as either Chip & Pin or Chip & Signature or Chipped only if the terminal does not require a signture. Funny how this forum causes us to find work arounds Smiley Happy In the past I would have gone and "laid by my dish" ;(

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.