tag
FloridaState12
Established Contributor

Re: barclay starting off the year in barclay style

@CruzImperial wrote:

@FloridaState12 wrote:

@iloverewards wrote:

@FloridaState12 wrote:

I used to be so paranoid about Barclay's closing my account, then I kinda got over it...now I'm worried again.

Got my NFL card in November of 2011 at $500. From October to November I got the bulk of my cards: Zync, Forward, Dividend, 123 Rewards, Walmart and NFL. I had to recon twice to get the card, so they already didn't really want me right off the bat, but I was fretting so bad that they would start to see all these new accounts pop up and close mine. Luckily, I used the card very conservatively and nothing ever came of it.

Just a couple of days ago I decided I wanted to up my limit. I asked for $5000 and was granted $1500 on their automated system. Feeling greedy, I decided to call in the backdoor number and see if I could get it raised, as I had had success using that number when I got my account approved. After some sweet talking to the rep, she upped my limit to $3000. Great! Problem is, the past few days I have also gotten approved for two new accounts (BCE and Citi TYP) and applied for CLI's on 6 accounts (including Barclays), 4 of which were hard pulls. So 6 pulls within the last couple of days...seeing this thread now has me a bit worried. Smiley Sad

Hopefully since my card is over a year now and I've never held a balance of any kind, I will be spared. Only time will tell! It's one of my highest limit cards now so I really don't want to lose it. 

Congratulations on your CLI! Would you mind sharing your backdoor number with us?

I just used the one listed on this site. 866-408-4064

I've always encountered very professional and nice people when using that number. I highly recommend it. Smiley Happy

Did they SP or HP for the CLIs?? Can't risk them at this point hehe

haha I waited to see what they did before I called. It was a HP on TU after I went through the automated system. I figured I'd take the increase if it was only a SP and be happy, but if they HP'd I would try and get more...got the alert later that night that they did a HP so I figured why not? 

I called up the first time and I think the rep was misinformed as he told me they did not have a current report, and did not pull a TU report. I told him I got an alert and it says clear as day that Barclay's pulled my TU report...he said they'd have to pull it again because he can't see anything. I said no thanks and called back an hour later. Got a really nice lady who didn't mention anything about not having a current report...she asked me a few questions about what I wanted the increase for, income, employment, etc. and then she approved it for $3,000. There was no additional pull; only the initial pull generated from the automated system was used. Smiley Happy

Photobucket
Message 31 of 43
jake619
Frequent Contributor

I apped for Barclays before knowing all of this nonsense.  A month later I got BCE.  I did talk to a rep (regular, not backdoor) and generically asked if they have a regular pattern for reviewing cardmember credit profiles.  The rep said they will soft me at 6 months.  That time table seems to be the pull that most who have received AA mention.  Open Barclay, open more accounts, at Barclay 6 month date the AA hammer drops.

I'm testing this out like this:  Barclays on 11/10, BCE on 12/12.  3X CLI to request in mid Feb.  No other apps.  Fingers crossed but not a total loss if they get their panties in a bunch.

Message 32 of 43
toppers555
Established Contributor

Still waiting on the letter, and I will post an update. They would not give me any information , but had no problem telling me to make sure I cut up my card, and any checks I am have.

TU 715 No apps to 05/13 cash+ 5/13!!! 738 TU CSP April 13!!!CSP approved May 13!!!

Message 33 of 43
Rhaeny
Valued Contributor

Geez, that's pretty rude!  

So I'm your friend as long as I'm your only friend for a period time, and if you get more friends I'm cutting my ties with you and shoving you out the door.  Oh and by the way, don't let the door hit you where the good lord split you.

That is basically what they are saying.  I mean is it in their T&C's that there is a pre-determined time frame that they will shut you down if you get more CC's?  I'm just wondering how they keep practicing this.

Major CC's - Barclay's ($5.5K) | Barclay's Sallie Mae MC ($5K) | DCU ($7.5K) | Discover IT ($1.4K) | Genisys Visa ($1.4K) | NFCU Visa ($22K) | Navcheck ($15K) | Chase Freedom ($5K) | SDFCU Visa ($8K) | Amex BCP ($9.5K) | Amex Delta ($10K) |Store CC's| -Amazon ($4K) | Catherines ($850) | JCP ($4K) | Macy's ($1.7K) | Avenue ($850) | Victoria's Secret ($1.4K) | Walmart ($4.1K) | Paypal SC ($1.3K) | HSN ($2.5) | Sears ($2.6K) | Sams Club ($4.1K) |Goal|: Age with grace to 750 across the board |Last app|: 3/3/2014
Message 34 of 43
rtw
Established Contributor

Just wanted to add my Barclays experience to this thread. I was initially denied for the Barclays US Airways card back in July but was ultimated approved after being encouraged to recon from many supportive and encouraging folks on this forum. I was given a 2.5K cl and as you can see from my signature I applied for several cards after my Barclays approval. So far I have not received any AA. Full disclosure, I requested a cli back in November and was denied. It was a hp. I also applied for financing for an Apple computer(Barclays) which I was denied for. So I have 2 hard pulls from them in November. All three of my CRs FICO scores were over 700 at the time of my cli request and apple financing app. My balance with them is zero and has been so since about October. We'll see what happens this month as it will be my 6th statement.

Starting Score: EX: 575 (PSECU 5/2/12) TU: 582 (3/6/12) EQ: 664 (4/27/12)
Current Score: EX: 699 (PSECU 06/04/14) 702 (my FICO 08/05/14) TU: 699 (08/01/14) EQ: 675 (07/08/14)
Goal Score: 720
20K PSECU 7/12 | 12K USAA 9/12 | 11K BOA 1-2-3 9/12 | 9K Citi HHonors 9/12 | 8.5K Citi AAdvantage 5/08 | 5K Chase Sapphire Pref. 9/12 | 3.8K Barclays USAir 7/12 | 6K Walmart Dis. 11/12 | 1K Amex SPG 11/12 | 2K Amex BCP 1/13
Message 35 of 43
bs6054
Valued Contributor

@Rhaeny wrote:

Geez, that's pretty rude!  

So I'm your friend as long as I'm your only friend for a period time, and if you get more friends I'm cutting my ties with you and shoving you out the door.  Oh and by the way, don't let the door hit you where the good lord split you.

That is basically what they are saying.  I mean is it in their T&C's that there is a pre-determined time frame that they will shut you down if you get more CC's?  I'm just wondering how they keep practicing this.

Right, but when Amex does a FR, and anyone criticises the process, TONS of posts here saying they have the perfect right to do it, being prudent, if you don't like it go elsewhere etc.   

Same here really, Barclays sometimes doesn't like someone opening up several new lines of credit.....

Message 36 of 43
jake619
Frequent Contributor

@bs6054 wrote:

Right, but when Amex does a FR, and anyone criticises the process, TONS of posts here saying they have the perfect right to do it, being prudent, if you don't like it go elsewhere etc.   

Same here really, Barclays sometimes doesn't like someone opening up several new lines of credit.....

Apples and oranges.   AMEX wants your tax transcript, Barclays just 86's you.

Message 37 of 43
bs6054
Valued Contributor

Hardly apples and oranges from the context I put it in.  Both have concerns about whether your financial state meets their needs.

One, via a potentially intrusive process, allows you to prove otherwise, the other doesn't.   But I don't see why the same argument given by Amex defenders doesn't apply, both have the right as they are offering you unsecured credit, and if you don't like the policy, choose a different card.

Message 38 of 43
toppers555
Established Contributor

@bs6054 wrote:

Hardly apples and oranges from the context I put it in.  Both have concerns about whether your financial state meets their needs.

One, via a potentially intrusive process, allows you to prove otherwise, the other doesn't.   But I don't see why the same argument given by Amex defenders doesn't apply, both have the right as they are offering you unsecured credit, and if you don't like the policy, choose a different card.

I can see where you are coming from , but I have to disagree with Barclays random AA, being the same as Amex Fr.  I know in some cases people have been warned in advance by Barclay prior to action , but to instantly close a consumer account with no warning, or attempt to communcate with them is bad business. But like I have said before, I am not upset about it, I know Barclay is known for doing things like this, and you are right , I just simplely take my busniess else where. 

TU 715 No apps to 05/13 cash+ 5/13!!! 738 TU CSP April 13!!!CSP approved May 13!!!

Message 39 of 43
bs6054
Valued Contributor

@toppers555 wrote:

@bs6054 wrote:

I can see where you are coming from , but I have to disagree with Barclays random AA, being the same as Amex Fr.  I know in some cases people have been warned in advance by Barclay prior to action , but to instantly close a consumer account with no warning, or attempt to communcate with them is bad business. But like I have said before, I am not upset about it, I know Barclay is known for doing things like this, and you are right , I just simplely take my busniess else where. 

Those complaining about FR find their accounts suddenly frozen, in some cases while they are abroad.   So in both cases the immediate impact is the same, a card you may have expected to rely on doesn't work, and a simple phone call won't fix it.   I agree that Amex does communicate, but it's really just a demand for documents, they won't explain the reasons for the FR, just give them what they want or your account will be closed.  Barclays simply omits that step!

Also, "Barclays random AA" is just bias, you have no way of knowing if it is any more or less random than the Amex FR.  I assume neither company does it without some perceived reason that for security reasons they do not disclose.

Message 40 of 43
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.