Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

best CC for airline miles

tag
Sharingan
Established Contributor

Re: best CC for airline miles

@icyhot wrote:
I'm not advising anything, I'm saying not everyone does PIF, so they wouldn't get the full 2% unless they did. Venture and Arrival gets you 2% on every purchase, and if you're already looking at them because you're traveling, then the points only being redeemed fully on travel purchases isn't an issue. Having to have an account with a bank to redeem your rewards is indeed a restriction IMO

You are missing that if you can't PIF, it's not going to matter because interest would erase any earnings you get. If you can't PIF for any of these four cards, you shouldn't be worrying about 2% rewards anyway! Let's not forget to factor in AFs as well...

Message 21 of 44
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@icyhot wrote:
I wouldn't consider Fidelity Amex or the Double Cash non-restricted 2%, for one the Fidelity can only be deposited into a Fidelity account, restriction right there. Then the Double Cash isn't flat 2% on purchases, it's 1% on purchases 1%, and not everyone PIF. I would put the Venture over both 1 for the bonus and 2 it has a higher starting limit and can easily be converted to a non-AF card. If someone wants to be rewarded quickly for their travel expenses the Venture and Arrival are the way to go

You do get the 2% with double cash...if you aren't PIF on a card like that, like someone else said, that's the least of your worries. Since you are eventually going to pay, you eventually get your 2%...

Yes, if you want it posted immediately and will ONLY redeem towards travel, a Venture is "better" in that respect but you do pay a $59 AF for that, and $89 for Arrival. Whether it's Arrival ,Double Cash ,Venture, doesn't matter....if you don't PIF on a rewards card, the rewards are evaporated with interest. Period.

"Unrestricted" refers more to the fact that Double Cash and Fidelity are 2% not tied to "travel" purchases.

Message 22 of 44
red259
Super Contributor

@Sharingan wrote:

@icyhot wrote:
I wouldn't consider Fidelity Amex or the Double Cash non-restricted 2%, for one the Fidelity can only be deposited into a Fidelity account, restriction right there. Then the Double Cash isn't flat 2% on purchases, it's 1% on purchases 1%, and not everyone PIF. I would put the Venture over both 1 for the bonus and 2 it has a higher starting limit and can easily be converted to a non-AF card. If someone wants to be rewarded quickly for their travel expenses the Venture and Arrival are the way to go

The Double Cash most certainly is an unrestricted 2% card, unless you are advising that people not pay their bill to get the other 1%. In that case, missing out on that 1% would be the least of their worries. I have my own reservations about the Fidelity AmEx, but saying it's a restricted 2% card with that argument is really grasping at straws. Also, if you aren't paying in full, you are going to quickly wipe out the value of your rewards no matter what rewards card you are using. The Arrival and Venture aren't immune to this. In no uncertain terms would I ever recommend the Arrival+ or Venture over the Double Cash/Fidelity AmEx for most people.

The signup bonus for the arrival and venture alone make it worth a look. After the first year the value diminishes though unless AF gets waived. The fidelity amex does require an extra step to get it and that can be a factor for consideration as well. The venture has the possibility of SP CLI. Don't know if you can do that with the fidelity amex, also amex isn't necessarily accepted at as many places as a MC or Visa. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 23 of 44
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@red259 wrote:

@Sharingan wrote:

@icyhot wrote:

The Double Cash most certainly is an unrestricted 2% card, unless you are advising that people not pay their bill to get the other 1%. In that case, missing out on that 1% would be the least of their worries. I have my own reservations about the Fidelity AmEx, but saying it's a restricted 2% card with that argument is really grasping at straws. Also, if you aren't paying in full, you are going to quickly wipe out the value of your rewards no matter what rewards card you are using. The Arrival and Venture aren't immune to this. In no uncertain terms would I ever recommend the Arrival+ or Venture over the Double Cash/Fidelity AmEx for most people.

The signup bonus for the arrival and venture alone make it worth a look. After the first year the value diminishes though unless AF gets waived. The fidelity amex does require an extra step to get it and that can be a factor for consideration as well. The venture has the possibility of SP CLI. Don't know if you can do that with the fidelity amex, also amex isn't necessarily accepted at as many places as a MC or Visa. 

Since when do people get fees on Arrival+ and Venture waived? Very rarely. Yes, if the fees are waived, it's less big of a difference but you are still stuck with only redeeming towards travel purchases.

SP CLIs happen with Citi too (Double Cash) which is a Mastercard.

I just feel like people are grasping at straws to defend Venture and Arrival. They have their (minimal) place. Venture has no FTF, and if you travel internationally a ton and want 2% back and are willing to redeem only towards travel, it can be valuable. But the majority of people who have it did not get it for that. They got it for the bonus and will close or consolidate it later, because it holds no long term value for most people. This is why I say DC or Fidelity is better. To each their own. Nobody would care about getting the fees waived if the products had a long term value.

Message 24 of 44
icyhot
Valued Contributor

Fidelity Amex definitely doesn't have SP CLIs lol. I know the whole concept of interest "eating" your rewards is pretty popular here, but even if you PIF everything I still don't see how the DC or Fidelity can benefit a traveler, especially with no bonus and FTFs. If I had those cards I would leave them at home on a trip
Ch 7 BK discharged 12/2018
Bank Cards: NFCU Flagship Rewards $25K | NFCU Cash Rewards $20K |NFCU More Rewards Amex $17K | PenFed Power Cash $12.5K | PenFed Platinum Rewards $12.5K | PenFed Pathfinder Rewards $10K | PenFed Gold Card $7.5K | PayPal Cashback Mastercard $5K | Apple Card $3.5K
Store Cards: Bergdorf Goodman $10.5K | Neiman Marcus $7.5K | Care Credit $7K |
Scores: EX 656 | EQ 667 | TU 680

Goal Card: Amex Platinum (Amex IIB, waiting for 5 year mark)
Message 25 of 44
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@icyhot wrote:
Fidelity Amex definitely doesn't have SP CLIs lol. I know the whole concept of interest "eating" your rewards is pretty popular here, but even if you PIF everything I still don't see how the DC or Fidelity can benefit a traveler, especially with no bonus and FTFs. If I had those cards I would leave them at home on a trip

We're going off on a tangent here, but how does a bonus benefit a traveler any more than a non traveler? Also, how does the bonus factor into the long term feasibility of the card? OP isn't really talking about bonuses, they're talking about a card presumably to keep for awhile. There is no advantage to keeping Arrival or Venture for a long time and paying the AF over DC or Fidelity unless you have a huge amount of FTF that you would otherwise be paying, but you could also get a QS for no FTF and 1.5% pure cash back.

The concept of "eating rewards" is popular here because it's simple math....if you are paying 18% in interest, that is more than 2% you get in rewards. So each month of paying that interest is going to eat up your rewards. It's not someone's opinion or idea, it's the facts. Now, we all have had to carry a balance here and there, but in the process, you lose some value of rewards.

Message 26 of 44
icyhot
Valued Contributor

The bonuses benefit travelers because if they're going on a trip it can alleviate some of the costs. Yes that's simple math but even as you pay interest, the rewards are still there to be used. I don't think that matters to the average CC user. But you're right, it is a tangent because they asked about airline mile cards, not cash back
Bank Cards: NFCU Flagship Rewards $25K | NFCU Cash Rewards $20K |NFCU More Rewards Amex $17K | PenFed Power Cash $12.5K | PenFed Platinum Rewards $12.5K | PenFed Pathfinder Rewards $10K | PenFed Gold Card $7.5K | PayPal Cashback Mastercard $5K | Apple Card $3.5K

Message 27 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you do a lot of short haul flight 650mi or less BA Avios is a great program to get into plus no penalty for booking close in.

Message 28 of 44
icyhot
Valued Contributor

I would get an airline card for whichever airline flies to the most destinations out your airport. It's American for me, and their flights are normally the cheapest wherever I go

Message 29 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

I forgot to mention it helps if you have AA as a hub.

Message 30 of 44
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.