Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

best card for amazon

tag
anonymous4a
New Contributor

best card for amazon

I was considering applying for Salli Mae barcalys card for amazon purchases but saw its been discontinued. What is the next best credit card for amazon purchases ? 

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: best card for amazon

@anonymous4a wrote:

I was considering applying for Salli Mae barcalys card for amazon purchases but saw its been discontinued. What is the next best credit card for amazon purchases ? 

My choice, depending on time of year, is either the Chase Amazon card or just a regular Discover card.

Chase gives you 3% back on all Amazon purchases.  Last year, and coming up this year, Discover has Amazon as the anchor of the 5% back catagories for Q3 and Q4.

Plus, you can use your points/cash back directly from the Amazon checkout page to pay for purchases.

Message 2 of 16
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

If only for cash back, then the Amazon Store card. Next up, one of the rotators, Discover second, Freedom third.

IF you have another Barclays card, they MAY allow a product change. YMMV on that one.
Signature needs updating
Message 3 of 16
Mattopotamus
Frequent Contributor

@anonymous4a wrote:

Like you said, the Salli Mae no longer exist so get the amazon card.

Message 4 of 16
NRB525
Super Contributor

Another option is the US Bank Cash+. The Bookstore category should code Amazon as a 5% category.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 5 of 16
jacetx
Valued Contributor

@anonymous4a wrote:

Amazon Visa from Chase also lets you redeem your cash back into your checking account, not only for Amazon purchases.

Message 6 of 16
kdm31091
Super Contributor

People were never allowed AFAIK to PC to Sallie Mae when it was available, let alone now that it's not. I would say the chances of that are very slim.

With the rotating cards offering Amazon more and more, I think for most people there's little need to open up a dedicated Amazon card unless you are truly spending a ton on there. Get something well rounded like Discover, or Cash+ where you can select "bookstores" and it often (but not always) will count. If you're a truly dedicated amazon spender there's the amazon store card for permanent 5%, but with the other options available, I don't think it's a necessity for most people at this point.

Message 7 of 16
aubie1kenobie2
Frequent Contributor

Oh no -- I didn't know the Sallie Mae was discontinued! Had my eye on it but was planning to get a mortgage so I haven't applied for it yet, but was planning to in the future!Smiley Frustrated

I use my Discover for Amazon, because I can use my Cashback rewards.

Starting Score: No credit history in July 2013, 663 in August (lender pulled)
Current Score: 773 (Discover FICO), 749 (DCU EQ)
Ultimate goal: Buy a house in 2016!
Message 8 of 16
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:

With the rotating cards offering Amazon more and more, I think for most people there's little need to open up a dedicated Amazon card unless you are truly spending a ton on there. Get something well rounded like Discover, or Cash+ where you can select "bookstores" and it often (but not always) will count. If you're a truly dedicated amazon spender there's the amazon store card for permanent 5%, but with the other options available, I don't think it's a necessity for most people at this point.

It's up to each to determine such things.  A given person could certainly benefit more from 5% year round on Amazon while another might benefit more from a rotator.  Yet another may be best served by neither.  Don't assume what's best for most.  Everyone's spend categories and amounts are not identical.  Consider the individual when making recommendations.

Message 9 of 16
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Right. I just think that unless one is spending a ton on a certain category, it's not always highly beneficial (in increased rewards) to open a new card specifically for one category. If you aren't careful, your spend is just too diluted.
Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.