Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

best card for travel (flight)?

tag
rootpooty
Valued Contributor

best card for travel (flight)?

I fly southwest airlines usually round trip 2-4 times per year.  Until now I have looked into a travel card that could possibly benefit my travel needs.  Which card or cards should I be looking at?

NFCU plat 5k | NAVCHECK 5k | NFCU cashrewards 15k | BOFA 123 6k |
Chase Freedom 1.5k | Amazon 3K | Walmart 3K | Buckle 300 | AMEX BCE 2.5K | CHASE CSP 12K | CITI sears 6k | Kay 2k

On the prowl for Chase Sapphire Preferred! APPROVED 12K!
scores 7/14 647 622 630 (85%util)
scores 8/14 767 760 758 Boom! finally in the 700 club
Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: best card for travel (flight)?

@rootpooty wrote:

I fly southwest airlines usually round trip 2-4 times per year.  Until now I have looked into a travel card that could possibly benefit my travel needs.  Which card or cards should I be looking at?

If you only frly southwest than I would probably get the southwest card by chase.

otherwise Barclay Arrival is very popular and I belive returns 2.2% on travel rebate.

Message 2 of 18
ezdoesit
Valued Contributor

@rootpooty wrote:

Chase Southwest card if you fly with them 2-4 times a year. 

Message 3 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

loving my new amex spg card for domestic travel (it carries a foreign fee if used abroad) 

I've always liked the Starwood brand hotels much better than my old Marriott card and the spg program has a ton of airline partners with whom you can transfer making it effectively a hotel and airline card

Message 4 of 18
rootpooty
Valued Contributor

Is the southwest card exclusively from Chase?  If so I plan on apping for the CSP would I be able to obtain 3 cards from Chase?  Or should I not app for the CSP?  Decisions?! LOL

Chase Freedom 1.5k | Amazon 3K | Walmart 3K | Buckle 300 | AMEX BCE 2.5K | CHASE CSP 12K | CITI sears 6k | Kay 2k

Message 5 of 18
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@rootpooty wrote:

Is the southwest card exclusively from Chase?  If so I plan on apping for the CSP would I be able to obtain 3 cards from Chase?  Or should I not app for the CSP?  Decisions?! LOL

yes With Chase and many people have 3 and 4 or even 5 cards with chase although the 3 range seems to be the easiest.

Message 6 of 18
ForMyBiz
Frequent Contributor

Chase Southwest card seems like the obvious choice.  However, you might want to consider the CSP since you can transfer points (1:1) over to not only Southwest, but United, British Airways, Virgin Atlantic, etc.  in the event that you want to do some overseas travel or go to a city that Southwest doesn't service.  Between United and Southwest, you can get coverage to pretty much any city in the US.

As a lot of folks on the forum have mentioned previously, combining the CSP with the Freedom is cool because it has 5% bonus categories, that you can then transfer over to CSP, so if you can manage to max out those categories, you can build a lot of miles very quickly.  Also with the UR mall, you can sometimes find deals of up to 15 pts per $1 spent.

I'm not sure of the bonuses right now for Freedom or Southwest, but CSP is currently offering 50,000 bonus pts for $3,000 spent in the first 3 months.  United Milage Explorer is also offering 50,000 miles for $2,000 spent in the first 3 months. 

I currently have Freedom, Southwest, United and just got CSP.  Also have Ink Cash for business.  (My sig is a little out of date.) So multiple cards is definitely not an issue with these guys.

Message 7 of 18
rootpooty
Valued Contributor

@ForMyBiz wrote:

Chase Southwest card seems like the obvious choice.  However, you might want to consider the CSP since you can transfer points (1:1) over to not only Southwest, but United, British Airways, Virgin Atlantic, etc.  in the event that you want to do some overseas travel or go to a city that Southwest doesn't service.  Between United and Southwest, you can get coverage to pretty much any city in the US.

As a lot of folks on the forum have mentioned previously, combining the CSP with the Freedom is cool because it has 5% bonus categories, that you can then transfer over to CSP, so if you can manage to max out those categories, you can build a lot of miles very quickly.  Also with the UR mall, you can sometimes find deals of up to 15 pts per $1 spent.

I'm not sure of the bonuses right now for Freedom or Southwest, but CSP is currently offering 50,000 bonus pts for $3,000 spent in the first 3 months.  United Milage Explorer is also offering 50,000 miles for $2,000 spent in the first 3 months. 

I currently have Freedom, Southwest, United and just got CSP.  Also have Ink Cash for business.  (My sig is a little out of date.) So multiple cards is definitely not an issue with these guys.

I fly quite a bit with southwest.  Mainly to get my daughter 2-3 times per year so when I do that I have to purchase a 2 round trip tickets for me and one for her then I do that however many times I get her which is usually 2-3 times per year.  So even if I get her twice per year I'm still purchasing 6 round trip tickets!

I've always wanted the CSP cause I do dine out alot and most of the time when I vacation in Florida once per year there comes the hotel stay ETC.

I guess I have some reading to do on how the points system works and what a point value is worth cause I have no idea on that yet.  Unless someone really nice wants to give me the breakdown lol! Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 18
rootpooty
Valued Contributor

on chase website i see there is 3 southwest cards.  which one should I go for?

Message 9 of 18
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@rootpooty wrote:

on chase website i see there is 3 southwest cards.  which one should I go for?

southwest Premier for personal.

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.