Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

best card for travel (flight)?

tag
ForMyBiz
Frequent Contributor

Re: best card for travel (flight)?

Looks like you can either get the personal or business version of the Plus or Premiere card.  

The Plus has a lower annual fee of $69.  You still get the 25,000 mile bonus  for spending $1,000 in 3 months.  Your points don't count towards A status.  If you renew (meaning don't cancel before the next annual fee) you get a 3,000 point bonus.

With the premier card the annual fee is $99.  You get 25,000 bonus miles for spending $1,000 in three months.  You're can accumate tier qualifying points toward A status.  If you get 110,000 points in 1 year then you get a companion pass.  If you renew you get a bonus of 6,000 miles.

The business cards are basically the same from what I can tell, except can be used for business expenses.  

Since the bonus is so low right now, you sure you don't want to go for the CSP instead and get 40,000 points (plus 5000 more if you add an authorized user) that you can transfer to Southwest?  If not, you may want to wait a few months and see if they bring back the Southwest 50,000 mile bonus.  They must have just ended that promotion a couple of months ago.  Remember if you apply now and get approved, you can not get that bonus again for 24 months (I think.)  If you do go ahead and apply keep your eye out for the increased bonus.  Chase is really good about honoring better bonuses for up to 90 days after you open the card, you just have to send a secure message and they'll take care of it for you. 

Message 11 of 18
Juss11
Frequent Contributor

If you go with the Southwest Air card, dont app for the 25k one at the chase site. There is a link at flyertalk for the 50k. Dont think I can put link here? If you PM me I can send you the link. Im also going to apply for that card in a few weeks.

Message 12 of 18
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@Juss11 wrote:

If you go with the Southwest Air card, dont app for the 25k one at the chase site. There is a link at flyertalk for the 50k. Dont think I can put link here? If you PM me I can send you the link. Im also going to apply for that card in a few weeks.

I don't think that link works anymore ? 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 13 of 18
dilettante
Established Contributor

@ForMyBiz wrote:

Looks like you can either get the personal or business version of the Plus or Premiere card.  

The Plus has a lower annual fee of $69.  You still get the 25,000 mile bonus  for spending $1,000 in 3 months.  Your points don't count towards A status.  If you renew (meaning don't cancel before the next annual fee) you get a 3,000 point bonus.

With the premier card the annual fee is $99.  You get 25,000 bonus miles for spending $1,000 in three months.  You're can accumate tier qualifying points toward A status.  If you get 110,000 points in 1 year then you get a companion pass.  If you renew you get a bonus of 6,000 miles.

The business cards are basically the same from what I can tell, except can be used for business expenses.  

Since the bonus is so low right now, you sure you don't want to go for the CSP instead and get 40,000 points (plus 5000 more if you add an authorized user) that you can transfer to Southwest?  If not, you may want to wait a few months and see if they bring back the Southwest 50,000 mile bonus.  They must have just ended that promotion a couple of months ago.  Remember if you apply now and get approved, you can not get that bonus again for 24 months (I think.)  If you do go ahead and apply keep your eye out for the increased bonus.  Chase is really good about honoring better bonuses for up to 90 days after you open the card, you just have to send a secure message and they'll take care of it for you. 

Agree that you should go for the Premier for the 50k sign up.  Rapid Rewards sent me an email with the 50k offer which just expired but Flyer Talk has links to a current 50k offer and they also stated that some airports have that offer if you're flying Southwest soon. 

Some of the tricks to meeting 110k spend include opening both personal and business versions (if you qualify for business cards).  And for maximum value of the companion pass, they recommend opening the cards late in the year and not meeting spend for the companion pass until January.  That way you will have companion pass for almost 2 years.

Also keep in mind that transferred points from UR do not count toward companion pass.

Message 14 of 18
Juss11
Frequent Contributor

Yes link still works

Message 15 of 18
TheClub
Frequent Contributor

I would app for southwest and get the roundtrip flight for $1000 spend ($99 Annual Fee) and app for CSP for the sign up bonus and keep it for at least 11 months  to determine whether or not it is for you.

"When you're fresh meat you kill... and give them something fresher" (Frank Underwood)
Message 16 of 18
rootpooty
Valued Contributor

Ok so how many points on the southwest card does it take to get a round trip ticket?
NFCU plat 5k | NAVCHECK 5k | NFCU cashrewards 15k | BOFA 123 6k |
Chase Freedom 1.5k | Amazon 3K | Walmart 3K | Buckle 300 | AMEX BCE 2.5K | CHASE CSP 12K | CITI sears 6k | Kay 2k

On the prowl for Chase Sapphire Preferred! APPROVED 12K!
scores 7/14 647 622 630 (85%util)
scores 8/14 767 760 758 Boom! finally in the 700 club
Message 17 of 18
leegreen
Frequent Contributor

@rootpooty that depends if you are buying a wanna get away fare each dollar of fare will cost you 70 points, making the points worth about 1.4c each. The short answer is average around 25000.

Also, check the energy plus ESCO on the rapid rewards partners sight that can be worth like 15000 points to sign up if you have the cc and 12500 if you don't.
06/26/2014 - Gardening until 7/1/15
NFCU NavCheck 15k, cashRewards VS 14k, nRewards 14k
Amex BCE 15k, CapOne Quicksilver MC 3k, USAA Platinum MC 2k, Discover It 1k
Jared 5.1K, Zales 5k, Lowe's 15k, Home Depot 5k
Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.