cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

best sign up bonus airlines credit card?

tag
codesingh
Regular Contributor

best sign up bonus airlines credit card?

Hello all,

I am looking for airlines credit card with the best sign up bonus. i have delta/amex and I know there is a good sign up bonus for southwest and us airways, with signup bonus of a free ticket. any othere do you know?

What is the best one to apply for wihch has a very generous initial sign up bonus?

~ 100k in Rev CC. 15k Credit Line. 16.5k Car Loan(@1.7%) Starting scores: 690 EQ (Dec 2012) Mid-year FICO scores April ‘13 Pulled by lenders(Barclays, Amex): TU 747 • EQ 752 • EX 746 • Scores As of Nov 2013: 740 and above across the board.
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
rkinnahan
New Contributor

Re: best sign up bonus airlines credit card?

There's a targeted United MileagePlus offer floating around that gives 50k miles after 1k spend in 3 mo.  Not as good as a free flight, but definitely a large bonus, esp. now that the card is more attractive with no foreign transaction fees.

Chase Sapphire Preferred $12k | Chase Freedom $7k | Chase United MileagePlus Explorer $15k | Chase Hyatt Visa $11.8k | Chase Amazon Visa $3k | Citi TY Premier $8.5k | Amex SPG $13.5k | Amex HHonors $5k | Discover IT $9k | BofA Cash Rewards $6k | BofA BB Rewards $2.7k | Banana Republic Visa $3k
Message 2 of 13
Open123
Super Contributor

Right now, there aren't many "great" deals compared to the past.

All or most of the Airlines have scaled back to 30K bonuses, which after the 50K and 100K bonuses they were offering seems trivial.  UA, SW or US Air are all offering at or around 30K miles.  Citi has withdrawn it's AA's 50K bonus.  Or, you could wait until after the AA/US Air merger to see if (1) Citi retains the program; (2) and, if they'll offer a new promo to launch a new card for the airline.

Non airline miles, there's the 40K bonus on the Arrival. Or, the 40k on the CSP, which is you best bet if you don't have it.

Sadly, I think we've probably seen the end of the great sign up bonuses.

Message 3 of 13
Open123
Super Contributor

@rkinnahan wrote:

There's a targeted United MileagePlus offer floating around that gives 50k miles after 1k spend in 3 mo.  Not as good as a free flight, but definitely a large bonus, esp. now that the card is more attractive with no foreign transaction fees.

Is this the one where it pops up when you have some miles in your FF account?  If so, I don't think this works anymore.

Message 4 of 13
rkinnahan
New Contributor

Yup that's the one.  I was able to get it to work a couple weeks ago when I was approved for the card.  I've also read on a few sites that you can secure message Chase and ask them to match the 50k targeted offer. YMMV

Chase Sapphire Preferred $12k | Chase Freedom $7k | Chase United MileagePlus Explorer $15k | Chase Hyatt Visa $11.8k | Chase Amazon Visa $3k | Citi TY Premier $8.5k | Amex SPG $13.5k | Amex HHonors $5k | Discover IT $9k | BofA Cash Rewards $6k | BofA BB Rewards $2.7k | Banana Republic Visa $3k
Message 5 of 13
Open123
Super Contributor

@rkinnahan wrote:

Yup that's the one.  I was able to get it to work a couple weeks ago when I was approved for the card.  I've also read on a few sites that you can secure message Chase and ask them to match the 50k targeted offer. YMMV

I wasn't able to get it to work.  Though, that might be because I had applied and gotten the bonus a couple of years ago.

To the OP - Definitely try this first!  This would be far and away the best miles sign up offer currently.

Message 6 of 13
enharu
Super Contributor

Barclays has Lufthansa airlines promo going on right now. 50k miles for 5k spend. It's a really good deal if the 5k spend isn't going to be a problem. Lufthansa is part of the star alliance so you can book united, ANA, SQ, Air NZ and many other flights using those miles as well.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 7 of 13
Open123
Super Contributor

@enharu wrote:
Barclays has Lufthansa airlines promo going on right now. 50k miles for 5k spend. It's a really good deal if the 5k spend isn't going to be a problem. Lufthansa is part of the star alliance so you can book united, ANA, SQ, Air NZ and many other flights using those miles as well.

Thank's for the head's up!  In this environment, an excellent deal.

Message 8 of 13
scenery_guy
Established Contributor

@enharu wrote:

Lufthansa has the best first class service out there but it takes a few more miles than that to get a seat on points Smiley Frustrated

Message 9 of 13
enharu
Super Contributor

This lufthansa promo is making me regret that I applied for the Arrival lol.

As much as I want it, Barclays is definitely not going to approve me :/

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.