Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

best student credit card?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

best student credit card?

Looking to get a student credit card, but not sure which one to apply for. Which one is easiest to get approved for?

Transunion-669 

Experian- 669

Equifax-624

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Re: best student credit card?

Are you a member of any banks or credit unions? They will sometimes give you cards. 

The best cards for students are the Discover more Student and Citi Forward Student, however, they're not exactly easy to get. Many people get denied if they apply for them as their first cards, but others get accepted. The capital one student card is pretty much the easiest to get, but the CL will most likely be low. Wells fargo auto pre-approved me for my student card as soon as I opened my bank account and the banker told me as long as you're a student and have a checking/savings account with them they'll pretty much approve you. 

Good Luck

Message 2 of 10
CruzImperial
Established Contributor

You didn´t mention if it was for starters or not but I´d recommend Citi Forward and Dividend and Discover More for someone with AAoA of at least a year.

Fico Scores: . Walmart TU 748 . Garden 8/19 2014 .

Cap One Journey 500 | Discover IT 500 | GE Home Design 5.6k | GE HHGREGG 5k | Amex Zync NPSL | Amex BCE 6k | Citi Forward 4.2k | Citi Dividend 3k | GE BrandsMart 1k | GE Lowes 8.5k | Discover Walmart 7.5k | Barclays Apple 2.5k | BoA CR 2.7k | CSP 7.2k | Platinum Prestige 5k | IT Chrome 4k | Slate 2.3k |
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

My girlfriend is a student with a trans-780 Exp-720 score.

She has payed off a small student loan already and has basic Wells Fargo card with 800 limit for the last year, paid in full every month.

After reading this forum she has asked for a CLI to show she can handle more credit and raise her score,

Should she also look into getting another card? What would be her best options so as not to waste a hard pull?

Shes going to be getting a new car in the six months or so and will have an auto loan then.

Thanks.

Im doing the secured card route now because of a past issue, so she gets to have all the fun haha.

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry I kinda piggy backed on your thread!

We've been lurking on the forum for a while and this looked like a good spot to start posting.

Message 5 of 10
Cleanmachine
Frequent Contributor

My son obtained the Citi Student forward card and the regular BOA 123 card.

He originally was denied on both cards and he sent a re-consider letter.

He received a phone call about a week later from a Service Representative from both Creditor, and the only information they requested was the name of the college

and was instantly approved for the cards.

Not sure why they needed the college information.

Message 6 of 10
CardinalRules
New Contributor

If you're AAOA is at least 6 months, try for the Citi Forward and Discover More. If you get denied, try for a Capital One card though it likely will not grow with you. Another alternative is getting a student card from your bank or Credit Union. 

AMEX SPG - $8k
Citi AA Visa - $6.5k
Walmart Discover - $5.5k
Citi Forward - $3.9k
Discover More - $2.5k
Wells Fargo Cash Back - $1.9k
Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Those scores aren't that bad for a student!

I say Citi Forward or Capital One Journey card. But... maybe even Chase Freedom? I was approved as a student with low income and limited credit history (<1 year).

It seems like Chase is giving out approvals for their Freedom card like candy these days.

Message 8 of 10
Crashem
Valued Contributor

Cap one and/or wells for initial card.  Citibank and discover in 6 months.  Zync when cap one/wells hits a year.  That is safe path for students.  Obviously cu cards if they cater to students as well.  But those are the major issuers.  In a year, end up with 4-5 cards.  More than enough credit to have amazing score when you graduate.  Get best rate for that new car or apartment etc.

LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 9 of 10
Crashem
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Those scores aren't that bad for a student!

I say Citi Forward or Capital One Journey card. But... maybe even Chase Freedom? I was approved as a student with low income and limited credit history (<1 year).

It seems like Chase is giving out approvals for their Freedom card like candy these days.

I recommend staying away from chase for initial cards.  Chase cli policy makes it hard card to grow with.  Better to look at the card when you have ones with decent limits.

LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.