cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

best way to help out someone to build credit?

tag
wilson382
New Contributor

best way to help out someone to build credit?

Hello Guys,

my uncle asked me to help build credit he never had credit ever So i was thinking

Option 1. Make him apply for a credit card of low limit like $500 where i co sign for him.

Option 2 .Add him as an authorized user on my old credit card.

Option 3. Geetting a secured credit card

which one will be faster or easier like I said he never had a credit no where.

I can co sign him with no risk we live together.

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
Santi78342
Established Contributor

Re: best way to help out someone to build credit?

I'm no expert myself but I would use Credit Karma to give a rough idea of his situation. If he's never had any credit it will at least show any baddies he has had (collections etc.) 

After that I would check all the pre-qualifications sites. Capital One, Discover, Citi, Chase, BofA, US Bank, Barclays, & AmEx all have one.

App for one or two cards that hopefully pop up on those. If none, app for a Capital One and a Discover card.

Just my 2 cents

EDIT:

I would also add him as an AU on your oldest card but not give him a physical CC to actually use. Just because you live with him doesn't mean he won't go out and max it out! But it is definitely up to you! 

I would also maybe check with a local Credit Union or whomever he banks with to see if they would give him a card if he has established a good banking relationship with them.

Message 2 of 19
shane82388
Established Contributor

Yeah you can add him as an AU and just cut up the card. This should get him going in the direction of being approved for another card, and you can then take him off as an AU on your account...

Message 3 of 19
compassion101
Established Contributor

@shane82388 wrote:

Yeah you can add him as an AU and just cut up the card. This should get him going in the direction of being approved for another card, and you can then take him off as an AU on your account...

This sounds like a great idea.

I wouldn't co-sign. I've co-signed for someone before who I knew would never screw me over. Except that they did Smiley Sad

Message 4 of 19
wilson382
New Contributor

Thanks guys for head up. Really Appriciated. One question

when someone is an authorized user on my Credit Card, Can lenders/Creditor tell if that person owns the credit card or it just an au user? 

Message 5 of 19
traveler2005
Established Contributor

Yes they can tell, it will say authorized user on their report. You may also want to verify with the company you choose for him to be authorized user that they report authorized users. Some companies, such as some credit unions will allow authorized users but don't report.

Starting Score: TU 573 Exp 523 Lender Pull, Eq 583
Current Score: TU 673, Exp 664.,Eq 672 04/17/2015 TU 741 Equifax 682 Experian 678

Goal Score: 700 across the board

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Last HP 6/10/2015
Message 6 of 19
TheGardner
Valued Contributor

I co-signed on a loan for my daughter (I actually paid) and made her an AU on a couple cards. Now she's well above 700 and getting approved for her own cards only took 6 months.

If you cosign make sure it is really for you and you make the payments. Don't trust others to not mess up your credit!
If anyone needs me I will be In The Garden. Goal Score: 760 for all in 2015.
Current FICO Scores EX: 715 EQ: 756 TU: 762
Last APP April 21, 2015.
Victim of The great AMEX HP heist of Dec 1st, 2nd and 3rd of 2014.
Message 7 of 19
TheGardner
Valued Contributor

Paid the loan off 6 months early. Basically just a score grab cheap route to a credit score.
If anyone needs me I will be In The Garden. Goal Score: 760 for all in 2015.
Current FICO Scores EX: 715 EQ: 756 TU: 762
Last APP April 21, 2015.
Victim of The great AMEX HP heist of Dec 1st, 2nd and 3rd of 2014.
Message 8 of 19
GenericUser

@wilson382 wrote:

my uncle asked me to help build credit he never had credit ever So i was thinking

Option 3. Geetting a secured credit card

I would never, ever, in a million years, co-sign on anyone other than children.  And I'd never ever, in a million years put an AU on it other than a spouse (if things are good).

You are just asking for trouble with co-signing and AU, lots of potential trouble for yourself, stay away from all of that.

He should get a secured card or two for himself.  If he doesn't have the cash to put down the deposit for secured cards then he should work for it, or you could loan him the money I suppose.  Don't sign your credit rating away by doing co-sign or AU.

BK 7 2010, no idea what the FICO was after that
Current FICO8 TU 734 EQ ??? EX ???
Short Term Goal: 750+ | Long Term Goal: 800+
TCL: $73,000 as of May 2019
Message 9 of 19
shane82388
Established Contributor

GenericUser I think you are missing what I just said...

By giving them no access or chance to in any way use the account, it's pretty hard for them to mess it up...

But yeah I'd probably be more likely to co-sign for someone younger than me...

Just have him get a secured card. Easy. Done.
Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.