cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

best way to pay? 2 cards w/balances question...

tag
beautybrainsbooty
Regular Contributor

best way to pay? 2 cards w/balances question...

I have two cards and due to recent travel I have charges on both. I'm trying not to stress about it but do want to know what to do. Details: About 1500 on one with the lower limit and 800 on the other which is the big boy with a 5k limit. For best score maximization how do I pay this down? Which one first?? Or does it even matter guys??

It will take me a month and a half or so to pay it all off down to zero. Help??!!

started mid 500's. Disputed incorrect items and within a month or two my scores have skyrocketed and continue to do so
EQ: 755 as of 8/2013
TU: 700
Experian(or as I call them, the devil) I have no clue, they haven't released my report
Goal=801 across the board!!! Not too far from this, hoping to garden until Christmas 2013
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
tcbofade
Super Contributor

Re: best way to pay? 2 cards w/balances question...

If you're going to pay it all off over the next 45 days or so, I don't think it matters much.

If it were me, I would pay off the smaller balance off completely first, then attack the other...

02/01/24 Fico 8: EX 757, EQ 803, TU 783.
Fico 9: EX 760 12/16/23, EQ 790 02/04/24, TU No idea.

Zero percent financing is where the devil lives...
Message 2 of 10
SnackTrader
Valued Contributor

It shouldn't matter unless you need your utilization to be perfect.  My suggestion would be to make whatever payments you can make on the one with the highest interest rate, since you will be carrying a balance.  Then, hold off on any upcoming applications until you get your utilization back to normal.

Remember, FICO forgets utilization after a new balance posts.  So 1 month of bad utilization won't hurt you after that month is over.  In fact, my utilization is always near 40% except when I'm preparing to apply for new credit.

Good luck!

In My Wallet: Amex BCP (12/12) $50,000, Chase Freedom (12/12) $16,500, Cap1 Quicksilver (6/12) $14,000, Barclaycard Rewards (5/13) $10,500, Citi Prestige (4/16) $30,000

Last App: June 27, 2015
Message 3 of 10
beautybrainsbooty
Regular Contributor

oh this makes me feel soooo much better! wow. especially since I am going to be doing some extensive travel over the next few months. I was worried my score would tank after I worked so hard to get it up in the 7's. Thank you!!!

started mid 500's. Disputed incorrect items and within a month or two my scores have skyrocketed and continue to do so
Experian(or as I call them, the devil) I have no clue, they haven't released my report
Goal=801 across the board!!! Not too far from this, hoping to garden until Christmas 2013
Message 4 of 10
kwazziee
Regular Contributor

I say if you are not seeking new credits it does'nt reallt matter. If I had to I would pay off teh low balance first then the other.

Message 5 of 10
Cadillac-XTS
Established Contributor

+1

Message 6 of 10
aplast
Regular Contributor

@tcbofade wrote:

If you're going to pay it all off over the next 45 days or so, I don't think it matters much.

If it were me, I would pay off the smaller balance off completely first, then attack the other...

+1. I would def. take care of the smaller balance first. knock that out of the way, and then hit the next card harder and then be free Smiley Happy hopefully you collected some rewards from those travel purchases!

Message 7 of 10
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

IMO, you should ignore your score and pay based on interest charges.    If you can PIF one by the due date and avoid interest expenses on one card, I would do that.

Message 8 of 10
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

I would focus on paying the 1500 first since it will be at high utilization. Get that card below 50% utilization and then focus on the 800 dollar one.
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 9 of 10
beautybrainsbooty
Regular Contributor

thanks you guys! All advice noted and I just made some big payments today towards both cards, we shall see what the fico gods think...

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.