cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

best way to redeem citi double cash rewards?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: best way to redeem citi double cash rewards?

Most CC issuers treat statement credits a little weird. For example, statement credits almost never count towards the minimum payment. The double cash to me is very clear. One percent on spending and one percent on your payments. A statement credit is not your payment but a credit given by the CC issuer. While this could be merely symantics, most of our contracts with major financial institutions are filled with similar phrasings where one could easily misconstrue the meaning. 

As others have stated, setting up direct deposit is fairly simple. You have to wait till the 2nd statement cuts I believe before you can set it up. For those who prefer not to deal with that, taking a statement credit instead is a negligible reduction in benefits. I spend more than most and much less than many on my CCs each year (~60k/year). If all my spend was on the Double Cash (less than 10% of my spend is on this card) and I PIF'd my card and used the statement credit option, I would lose 6 dollars in redemptions. Instead of getting $1200 back, I would get $1194 back on 60k spend. 

Yes, Citi could be clearer with their language and advertisements. Many people think of the card as a 2% card and not a 1% plus 1% card. While the two can be the same, they are not always the same as illustrated here. We could blacklist Citi and ignore them for their devious ways, but that would probably only hurt us. Not to mention every other bank is just as bad. You see threads about people not getting introductory or sign-up offers because they did not qualify for it (e.g. BT thinking they got 0% offer only to find out they got card but not the intro offer after the BT).

TLDR: Could Citi be clearer here? Sure. Are they doing anything different from other banks? No. 

Message 31 of 36
OnTheRebound
Established Contributor

I do the "Statement Credit" thing. Even if I loose out on a whopping 10 cents.

Amex BCE $11.1 / Citi Diamond Preferred WMC $12K / Citi Double Cash WMC $3.8K / Comenity Total Rewards Visa $2.5K / Citi Home Depot $5K / AU- Amex BCP $12K / Chase Freedom Visa $11014.00 / PenFed Platinum Rewards Visa Signature $6K / GE Lowes $10K
myFico Scores on 10/03/2014
Eq 798 / Exp 811 / Trans 814
CCT Fico 08 on 1/3/16 - Trans 786 / Exp 793 / Eq 797
Message 32 of 36
Aahz
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

TLDR: Could Citi be clearer here? Sure. 

Current wording: "It's the only that card that earns you cash back twice on every purchase with 1% when you buy + 1% when you pay"

Just curious.  How would you word the ad to still be concise and yet still be more clear?

Message 33 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Aahz wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

TLDR: Could Citi be clearer here? Sure. 

Current wording: "It's the only that card that earns you cash back twice on every purchase with 1% when you buy + 1% when you pay"

Just curious.  How would you word the ad to still be concise and yet still be more clear?

My earlier two posts, in their entirety, indicate that I have no problem with Citi's wording or the application of their rewards. With that said, it is reasonable to interpret payments to include statement credits. While the fine print likely clarifies this (not read it) the sales pitch does not. Again, I don't think Citi did anything wrong with this and I have no problem with their sales pitch. 

Message 34 of 36
Aahz
Established Contributor

I understand your stance.  I also recognize that many are confused by the card's terms.

I'm just trying to figure out a better way to word it so that fewer people would be confused.

Message 35 of 36
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Aahz wrote:

I understand your stance.  I also recognize that many are confused by the card's terms.

I'm just trying to figure out a better way to word it so that fewer people would be confused.

I really think it is a non-issue! 

1) You can easily enough get 2%, using direct depost for example

2) And if you don't, 1.99% is pretty close.

Now if you couldn't get 2%, then I might be (slightly) more annoyed, but you can, so the terms are true.   As with many other cards, there are ways of redeeming that are less valuable, and usually much less valuable than 99%

Message 36 of 36
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.