cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

best way to redeem citi double cash rewards?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

best way to redeem citi double cash rewards?

which method will give me the full amount because I read that some methods give only like 99% of the rewards? Is it direct deposit or check?

Message 1 of 36
35 REPLIES 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: best way to redeem citi double cash rewards?

@Anonymous wrote:

which method will give me the full amount because I read that some methods give only like 99% of the rewards? Is it direct deposit or check?

Either one of those probably.

Message 2 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Either direct deposit or check is fine. If you get a statement credit you won't get 1% credit for the amount paid. Practically, this is inconsequential since the difference is 1.99% v. 2.00% rewards. But if you want the maximum get it in a non statement credit form so you can get the 1% for paying as well (you lose out on the 1% cashback on the portion paid by the statement balance).

Example:

You spend $1000. You get 1% back which is $10. If you paid the $1000 as well, you would get another 1% or $10 back for a total of $20. If on the other hand you used a statement credit of $10 and paid $990, you would only get an additional 1% back on the 990 which is 9.90 dollars. Thus, your total cash back would be 1% of 1000 spend plus 1% of 990 paid which is 19.90 dollars. You would lose 10 cents for every $1000 spent if you used it this way.  10 cents is 0.01% of $1000. Thus, your cash back would be 2% - 0.01% or 1.99% if you got a statement credit and paid the rest versus 2% if you paid the whole thing and cashed out the balance (check or direct deposit). 

Message 3 of 36
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Either direct deposit or check is fine. If you get a statement credit you won't get 1% credit for the amount paid. Practically, this is inconsequential since the difference is 1.99% v. 2.00% rewards. But if you want the maximum get it in a non statement credit form so you can get the 1% for paying as well (you lose out on the 1% cashback on the portion paid by the statement balance).

Example:

You spend $1000. You get 1% back which is $10. If you paid the $1000 as well, you would get another 1% or $10 back for a total of $20. If on the other hand you used a statement credit of $10 and paid $990, you would only get an additional 1% back on the 990 which is 9.90 dollars. Thus, your total cash back would be 1% of 1000 spend plus 1% of 990 paid which is 19.90 dollars. You would lose 10 cents for every $1000 spent if you used it this way.  10 cents is 0.01% of $1000. Thus, your cash back would be 2% - 0.01% or 1.99% if you got a statement credit and paid the rest versus 2% if you paid the whole thing and cashed out the balance (check or direct deposit). 

I agree that it is pretty inconsequential.  But setting it up once is pretty quick (although maybe more than 10c of your time!) so you may as well do that and get the full value.  If you had to call each time (as wiith TYP mortgage/student loan redemption) then it probably wouldn't be worth it.

Message 4 of 36
kdm31091
Super Contributor

This is why I'm not crazy about the way the rewards work with this card. Redemption gets a little murky.
Message 5 of 36
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:
This is why I'm not crazy about the way the rewards work with this card. Redemption gets a little murky.

Well, there is the one extra step of setting up ACH once.   Fidelity is the same (or more) with setting up the CMA.   So this is very minor IMO, and you can even just go statement credit and get 1.99, which is really pretty similar to 2!   

And even the "wrong" choice of statement credit here is much less bad than doing things like getting statement credit/cash  on Amex MR or Citi TY cards, or using points on Amazon with those cards.   So I don't think that murky is a fair description.

Message 6 of 36
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Yea but amex MR and citi TYP aren't advertised as cash back. They're points. Nowhere do they claim you will get x amount of value out of them for cash.

Double cash is advertised 2 percent cash back meaning you should always get 2 percent cash back.
Message 7 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

@kdm31091 wrote:
Yea but amex MR and citi TYP aren't advertised as cash back. They're points. Nowhere do they claim you will get x amount of value out of them for cash.

Double cash is advertised 2 percent cash back meaning you should always get 2 percent cash back.

The only reason one doesn't get 2% back when claimed as a statement credit is because of a technicality.

Sure, they could fix it to where you get issued x amount of CB for every redemption ala $.25 per $25 redemption, and so forth... But this is Citi we're talking about and they're going to nerf it anyway, right? Smiley Tongue

Message 8 of 36
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Oh I understand that this tiny amount is a technicality and not a big deal. Its not. Its just that I don't see why they make the card and redemption so much more confusing than it needs to be. Why didn't they just do 2 percent instead of 1+1?
Message 9 of 36
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:

No, it's not.  It's advertised as 1% + 1% which is exactly what it is.  If you have a Citi link indicating that it is 2% please share.  Your murkiness stems from your assumption but that's understandable as people lump it in with 2% cards.

@kdm31091 wrote:
Why didn't they just do 2 percent instead of 1+1?

Probably because a fair number of consumers carry balances.  While they're carrying they're only going to get the 1% on purchases and won't get the 1% on payments.

Message 10 of 36
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.