cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

best way to use 5% gas card in order to buy groceries at publix and kroger?

tag
missjenniferd1
Valued Member

Re: best way to use 5% gas card in order to buy groceries at publix and kroger?

@longtimelurker wrote:

@missjenniferd1 wrote:

ps. why wouldnt blue cash give 3% at the grocery store, did they change it?or you mean when its used at walmart, costco, target, etc? i dont shop those places. i only shop kroger, publix and aldi... due to couponing deals... im an extreme couponer, i get all my food at 90% off with stacked coupon deals at publix, and at kroger, and if i dont have coupons for certain items, i pick those up at aldi... which blue cash has always given be 3% at all of those, unless they've changed it recently and im behind.. if so, please tell me... sometimes i think i shoud go back to paper statements, due to it MAKES me look at my statement.. i think i havent read my credit card statements in so long (except just to recognize that there arent any fraud charges on there)

Yes, it didn't change, just meant if you were using stores Amex codes as grocery, and it sounds like you are.

You can also check on sites like giftcardgranny, currently that have Publix and Kroger gift cards at 2% off.    If you have a 2% or 1.5% general card, buying these gift cards with those cards will (slightly) beat using the Blue Cash Everyday.

I figured out how to quote the post im replying to yayyy!!

I have the new 2.5% on everything from usaa... So if i used that i could get 4.5%! Is "raise" reputable to buy from for the sellers of the publix gift cards? If youve ever heard of people using it. 

Thanks for your help, by the way, i appreciate it.

Message 11 of 52
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@missjenniferd1 wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@missjenniferd1 wrote:

ps. why wouldnt blue cash give 3% at the grocery store, did they change it?or you mean when its used at walmart, costco, target, etc? i dont shop those places. i only shop kroger, publix and aldi... due to couponing deals... im an extreme couponer, i get all my food at 90% off with stacked coupon deals at publix, and at kroger, and if i dont have coupons for certain items, i pick those up at aldi... which blue cash has always given be 3% at all of those, unless they've changed it recently and im behind.. if so, please tell me... sometimes i think i shoud go back to paper statements, due to it MAKES me look at my statement.. i think i havent read my credit card statements in so long (except just to recognize that there arent any fraud charges on there)

Yes, it didn't change, just meant if you were using stores Amex codes as grocery, and it sounds like you are.

You can also check on sites like giftcardgranny, currently that have Publix and Kroger gift cards at 2% off.    If you have a 2% or 1.5% general card, buying these gift cards with those cards will (slightly) beat using the Blue Cash Everyday.

I have the new 2.5% on everything from usaa... So if i used that i could get 4.5%! Is "raise" reputable to buy from for the sellers of the publix gift cards? If youve ever heard of people using it. 

A little under 4.5, but close!   (If you buy $100 gift at 2%, you pay $98, and on that $98 the cc gives you $2.45)  So you end up saving, 4.45%, which is close enough to 4.5% and better than 3%).    Raise is fine

Message 12 of 52
missjenniferd1
Valued Member

@medicgrrl wrote:
Ok, I thought you meant you were currently receiving 5% cash back with those 2

No, sorry, didnt mean to mislead you. But if i wanted to buy gas right now, the usaa cards i have offer 5% anytime with i think 6000 spend cap. And i habe 2 of them... Thats why im so interested in using those to either buy grocery cards with or visa cards with, but i have to find a gas station that sells publix or kroger cards, or just buy a visa card and pay the fee. I never thought it was worth it cuz of the fee but maybe its worth it after all since i would be getting ,5% to begin with. Im gonna have to start going inside the gas stations and checking out the fees for these. I think ive been missing out for about 10 years now because i was to stubborn to pay the fee but i always thought the fee negated my earnings. Im going to have to look into this. I mean i have looked at $100 gift cards and the fee was $5 or 5%, so you lose all your earnings, but the other commenter said i could end up with 4%, meaning only a 1% fee, so im sure it must be for much higher denominations, but im ok with that if i can net 4% cuz i could use the visa gift cards to pay my utilities as well. Getting 4% instead of 2.5%(the new usaa card 2.5% on everything), could really add up to a nice bonus for me at the end of the year. Even if its only a difference of $100 a year, it would be worth it to me. Im 45 years old and ive been churning credit card deals, bank accounts, sign on bonuses, otating categories, flat-rate cards for 20-25 years, and i really thought i had the best thing going, but i think i can still improve just a bit more by using my 5% gas cards instead of leaving them sit in the drawer. 

Message 13 of 52
missjenniferd1
Valued Member

@longtimelurker wrote:

@missjenniferd1 wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@missjenniferd1 wrote:

A little under 4.5, but close!   (If you buy $100 gift at 2%, you pay $98, and on that $98 the cc gives you $2.45)  So you end up saving, 4.45%, which is close enough to 4.5% and better than 3%).    Raise is fine

Awesome!!! Thanks for doing the math for me! And im one who "gets it" when it comes to doing math, but its still nice having someone else do it for me!

So what about just buying visa gift cards with my 2 usaa 5% gas cards, whats the fee on those in order to get 4%?

Because on the publix and kroger gift cards, theyre such small denominations!! I guess i could just buy all of them.

What im really upset about is that i read all these people having multiple chase freedoms, so i applied for a second one and they said i could only have ONE!!!! instead they approved me for a sapphire card, so i did my spend and got my $550 but i still want a second freedom, cuz i think that would do me for the year for gas and groceries. I called them after i paid off the sapphire card and asked to swap it to a freedom, they said YOU JUST GOT THIS CARD LAST MONTH! lol!!!! They said its not elugible to pc yet, and maybe after its been a year... I want it changed prior to the 5% grocery category though, which i think is march. I also habe slate but i did a bal xfer on that one for the next 15 months i think, so i dont want to change that one.

Message 14 of 52
medicgrrl
Valued Contributor

Maybe I'm looking at this backwards, but if you're looking to buy a Visa card with your gas cards (that you purchased for 20%off) and paying up to 5% for the Visa, then aren't you really netting a savings of 15% on your groceries and utilities?

EQ 778 EXP 782 TU 729
Message 15 of 52
missjenniferd1
Valued Member

@medicgrrl wrote:
Maybe I'm looking at this backwards, but if you're looking to buy a Visa card with your gas cards (that you purchased for 20%off) and paying up to 5% for the Visa, then aren't you really netting a savings of 15% on your groceries and utilities?

__---------------------------------------------------------

Im not sure why its putting my reply next to your quote?

@Missjenniferd wrote:

As far as i know, i would not be allowed to use the actual gas gift cards to buy visa gift cards.. what im actually trying to do is use my 5% rewards credit cards, to buy gift cards to publix or kroger, or visa gift cards to use at publix or kroger. If i was allowed to use the shell gas cards to buy visa cards that would be phenominal, but no place around here would let you use gift cards to buy gift cards.

I have usaa credit cards that give 5% cash back, and want to use those to get groceries pay utilities, and whatnot, rather than having all these 5% cards that i never ever use. Its a huge waste, not to mention the hard pulls because of them last year, but now i have a hybrid and spend half the gas that i used to. Id gladly trade 5% gas for 5% groceries and utilities!!! 

Message 16 of 52
fltireguy
Valued Contributor

With your monthly spending on groceries, you might be better off with the blue cash preferred at 6% on groceries. Even though it has the fee.
NFCU $60.4k/PenFed $22.5k/Commerce $15K/53 $11K/Synovus $14K/BBT $11K/CapOne $12K/DCU $7.5K/BMO $7.5K/Chase $14.5k/Cabelas $10K/ and many many more!
Total CL $398600, plus car and RV loan.
Ooh. Ooh. Getting closer to that $500K mark!
Message 17 of 52
missjenniferd1
Valued Member

@fltireguy wrote:
With your monthly spending on groceries, you might be better off with the blue cash preferred at 6% on groceries. Even though it has the fee.

I had that card before when my gas spending was doubled before i got my hybrid, cuz i bought the gas cards at the grocery, but id rather just use my 5% cards without the fee instead of the 6% card with the fee... If i can figure out how much i lose with the fee for buying visa gift cards with my 5% gas reward cards I dont know the fee charge, so cant figure it up

Message 18 of 52
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@fltireguy wrote:

Not with the increase in AF.   At $95, the breakeven over the BCE is 95/0.03 = $3,117 which is about $264 a month.   So only if ~$200 means more than that would it make sense.

Message 19 of 52
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@missjenniferd1 wrote:

What im really upset about is that i read all these people having multiple chase freedoms, so i applied for a second one and they said i could only have ONE!!!! instead they approved me for a sapphire card, so i did my spend and got my $550 but i still want a second freedom, cuz i think that would do me for the year for gas and groceries. I called them after i paid off the sapphire card and asked to swap it to a freedom, they said YOU JUST GOT THIS CARD LAST MONTH! lol!!!! They said its not elugible to pc yet, and maybe after its been a year... I want it changed prior to the 5% grocery category though, which i think is march. I also habe slate but i did a bal xfer on that one for the next 15 months i think, so i dont want to change that one.

Right, AFAIK they have never allowed you to APPLY for a second, the multiple ones you see are all through PC.   And in some cases, you will be told you have to wait a year

Message 20 of 52
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.