cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

best way to use 5% gas card in order to buy groceries at publix and kroger?

tag
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Re: best way to use 5% gas card in order to buy groceries at publix and kroger?

@missjenniferd1 wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

The only thing I can think of that hasn't already been mentioned is buying a Kroger gift card (in the store) and then reloading it at the fuel island (if you have one, and assuming the fuel attendant is willing and able to do so).

I used to do the reverse of this before I had my Sam's Club MC for gas... I would buy a Kroger GC in-store using my BCP, then use the GC to pay for my gas at the Kroger fuel island (effectively giving me 6% cash back for gas).  I would reload the same card repeatedly.  I don't know if the gas island attendant has the ability to reload the Kroger GC or not, but it might be worth asking. 

Note that you'll probably have to initially buy the card inside the grocery store (I've never seen the plastic cards for sale behind the glass at the fuel island), but there's no minimum so you could just put a few dollars on it to start.  In the event the gas island attendant can't/won't reload it for you, you haven't lost anything... just use whatever funds are on it to go towards your next grocery trip.

Yes!!! Now why didnt i think of that!!! Perfect solution thanks!!!

I hope this works out... even if the terminal at the fuel island has the capability (which isn't certain) it might be a challenge if the cashier doesn't know how to do it.  I found that even inside the store sometimes the cashiers weren't aware that an existing card could be reloaded (a couple of times I had to talk them through it).

Let us know how it goes!  Smiley Happy

Message 31 of 52
missjenniferd1
Valued Member

@UncleB wrote:

@missjenniferd1 wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

The only thing I can think of that hasn't already been mentioned is buying a Kroger gift card (in the store) and then reloading it at the fuel island (if you have one, and assuming the fuel attendant is willing and able to do so).

I used to do the reverse of this before I had my Sam's Club MC for gas... I would buy a Kroger GC in-store using my BCP, then use the GC to pay for my gas at the Kroger fuel island (effectively giving me 6% cash back for gas).  I would reload the same card repeatedly.  I don't know if the gas island attendant has the ability to reload the Kroger GC or not, but it might be worth asking. 

Note that you'll probably have to initially buy the card inside the grocery store (I've never seen the plastic cards for sale behind the glass at the fuel island), but there's no minimum so you could just put a few dollars on it to start.  In the event the gas island attendant can't/won't reload it for you, you haven't lost anything... just use whatever funds are on it to go towards your next grocery trip.

I hope this works out... even if the terminal at the fuel island has the capability (which isn't certain) it might be a challenge if the cashier doesn't know how to do it.  I found that even inside the store sometimes the cashiers weren't aware that an existing card could be reloaded (a couple of times I had to talk them through it).

I sure will!! If it works im gonna stock up!!!! Ive bought gift cards at kroger plenty of times, some places require cash, but publix and kroger both allow credit... Publix doesnt have fuel tho, so it wont work for them, but im gonna try kroger and food city!

Message 32 of 52
missjenniferd1
Valued Member

@UncleB wrote:

@missjenniferd1 wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

In the kroger gc faq, it says any cashier can reload your card!!! Im hopeful that it will work at the fuel center!!!

Message 33 of 52
missjenniferd1
Valued Member

@UncleB wrote:

@missjenniferd1 wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

Nope, its a no-go! Smiley Sad  The fuel centers dont have the other swiper that activates and adds funds to the gift cards. Smiley Sad

I also called several regular gas stations to see if i could buy visa gift cards there, and they said cash only on the visa ones... Said you could buy store gift cards with credit cards, but not the visa one. So i said well do you sell kroger or publix gift cards there and they said no...

Im wondering if i can just upgrade to a blue cash preferred, buy several years worth of grocery gift cards, and then cancel preferred back down to everyday. If i recall, the annual fee was prorated ( i cancelled a month after the annual fee, and they refunded me 11 months of it. But this was several years ago and im not sure if thats still the way it works.

I could also get several visa gift cards as well at publix, they let you pay with credit card for them, but im not sure if they have $500 denominations for the fee to be worth it. 

I might just have to settle for 3% and be happy with that, or as another commenter suggested, use my 2.5% on everything usaa card to buy the 2% discounted publix and kroger gift cards off giftcardgranny.. this is a great rate, but im afraid of getting ripped off doing that over and over on a regular basis.

I wanted to be able to just make a few grand in purchases for grocery and visa cards using my 5% gas rewards usaa credit cards simply because i have them and theyre not being used. And since i get the gas gift card deals at publix for $10 off $50 gas card, theres absolutely no reason for me to ever have to buy gas with my usaa credit cards ever again since i now have so many gas cards i dont know what to do with!! Maybe i should sell them on gift card granny!!! Lol

Its a shame the usaa 5% cards arent getting any use.

I was hoping to somehow use them for groceries, the same way i used to use my blue cash preferred to get gas gift cards at 6%

Message 34 of 52
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Ah, I was worried about that.  Oh well, it was just an idea.

If your grocery spend will support it, you should consider the BCP - that's actually what I have myself.  If I'm not mistaken Amex changed how they prorate the annual fee a while back so I don't think your upgrade/downgrade idea would work, but why not just keep the BCP?  

With 6% cash back at grocery stores (up to $6k/year) as well as 3% back at department stores, it's a keeper for me (and I'm just buying for myself).  Also, keep in mind that the Amex Offers will also help to offset the AF.

I realized a while back that while I can go to great lengths to save every penny, at some point my time (and sanity) are worth something, too.  Smiley Wink

Message 35 of 52
missjenniferd1
Valued Member

@UncleB wrote:

If your grocery spend will support it, you should consider the BCP - that's actually what I have myself.  If I'm not mistaken Amex changed how they prorate the annual fee a while back so I don't think your upgrade/downgrade idea would work, but why not just keep the BCP?  

With 6% cash back at grocery stores (up to $6k/year) as well as 3% back at department stores, it's a keeper for me (and I'm just buying for myself).  Also, keep in mind that the Amex Offers will also help to offset the AF.

I realized a while back that while I can go to great lengths to save every penny, at some point my time (and sanity) are worth something, too.  Smiley Wink

Thats true, but what started me on this whole thought process is that the 2 usaa credit cards have 5% gas rewards, and theyre just sitting there the past year, and as i counted up how many gas cards i have from all the publix deals ive done, for every $50 in groceries you buy, you get $10 off a gas card, i have about $3000 in shell gift cards, and i realized, with me having a hybrid, and only spending $40 a month on gas, that my 2 usaa credit cards are never going to get used, and its so wasteful having 5% cards in a sock drawer, but i think im on to something, im going to sell all these gas cards!!!! 

You dont happen to know which gift card site is the best do you? Im going to spend my day off today selling these shell gift cards, i know ive got $3000 worth!!!

I think im just going to close the 2 usaa cards i guess. Kinda makes me depressed that i cant use them!!! Its so hard to find 5% cards, and ive got 2 that im going to close!!! 

Theres no point in keeping them thouvh, if there was a way to use them for groceries or visa cards, im sure someone on here wouldve figured it out by now.

If those gift card sites dont take more than 5% from me for selling the cards to them, then im still making out like a bandit, since i got them at 20% off to begin with. Let me know, if you know which site is the best to sell on. 

Message 36 of 52
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@missjenniferd1 wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

Thats true, but what started me on this whole thought process is that the 2 usaa credit cards have 5% gas rewards, and theyre just sitting there the past year, and as i counted up how many gas cards i have from all the publix deals ive done, for every $50 in groceries you buy, you get $10 off a gas card, i have about $3000 in shell gift cards, and i realized, with me having a hybrid, and only spending $40 a month on gas, that my 2 usaa credit cards are never going to get used, and its so wasteful having 5% cards in a sock drawer, but i think im on to something, im going to sell all these gas cards!!!! 

You dont happen to know which gift card site is the best do you? Im going to spend my day off today selling these shell gift cards, i know ive got $3000 worth!!!

I think im just going to close the 2 usaa cards i guess. Kinda makes me depressed that i cant use them!!! Its so hard to find 5% cards, and ive got 2 that im going to close!!! 

Theres no point in keeping them thouvh, if there was a way to use them for groceries or visa cards, im sure someone on here wouldve figured it out by now.

If those gift card sites dont take more than 5% from me for selling the cards to them, then im still making out like a bandit, since i got them at 20% off to begin with. Let me know, if you know which site is the best to sell on. 

Unless you have a reason to keep the unneeded cards (oldest card, etc.) then if it were me I would simply close them as well.  Sometimes it's just time to move on to bigger and better, and it sounds like you're at that point.

This really isn't the forum to cover reseller sites; you might consider starting a thread in the smorgasboard to ask about that.  I'm sure you'll get plenty of feedback, and if not there are plenty of good sites that thoroughly cover that topic as well.

Just one word of guidance for myFICO; it's taboo to discuss churning network (MC/Visa) GCs here so the discussion of buying/selling those specifically is generally best avoided.  Discussion of store/merchant gift cards is usually OK, though.  If you need further clarification feel free to send me or any moderator a PM. 

Message 37 of 52
missjenniferd1
Valued Member

@UncleB wrote:

@missjenniferd1 wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

Unless you have a reason to keep the unneeded cards (oldest card, etc.) then if it were me I would simply close them as well.  Sometimes it's just time to move on to bigger and better, and it sounds like you're at that point.

This really isn't the forum to cover reseller sites; you might consider starting a thread in the smorgasboard to ask about that.  I'm sure you'll get plenty of feedback, and if not there are plenty of good sites that thoroughly cover that topic as well.

Just one word of guidance for myFICO; it's taboo to discuss churning network (MC/Visa) GCs here so the discussion of buying/selling those specifically is generally best avoided.  Discussion of store/merchant gift cards is usually OK, though.  If you need further clarification feel free to send me or any moderator a PM. 

Yeah, the only extra gift cards i have are shell gift cards, so thats all i would be discussing. Anyway i can just google about selling the gift cards, so no problem. But i wanna thank you for all your input. Even though it was a no go, i appreciate your kind replies, as well as the 2 other commenters. The third guy was rude, and was a real disappointment to a new person like me, but hey, theres always one in every bunch, so im not surprised.

At least now i feel as though ive researched it out and may as well close the 2 usaa cards, but i have that new 2.5% everything with them as well, so maybe theyll put the extra credit lines over to that card.

This discussion also gave me the idea of selling the extra gc's which has actually been great, because id never thought of it. I didnt think there would be a demand for it (its not that much of a discount, why not do gift card specials at retailers), but hey, if theres a need, then im happy because i had started to feel i couldnt do those gc deals at publix anymore because i wasnt using the gc's up fast enough, and was getting an accumulation, but if i sell them, ive still got an awesome deal, without the accumulation!!

I went to amex and got my yearly summary, its only ,$1700 so since i dont shop dept stores ever, the preferred wouldnt be the way to go, but while i was on the site, it had an offer to upgrade the existing card to preferred, and id qualify for the new cardholder signon bonus. I was considering applying for a new bcp so i could get the first year free, and get $6000 in gcs then just downgrade that one but it doesnt appear that they waive the first year anymore.but since i dont have to apply and can simply upgrade and get the sign on bonus, that would pay the annual fee. By the next year, i can downgrade that card, and hopefully chase will allow me to downgrde my sapphire to a chase freedom, and i will have 2 chase freedoms, which would be plenty to cover my grocery spend, as well as the added expense of when i do the gift card deals (which is the reason the $1500 on chase freedom wasnt enough for me, if it were just groceries, wouldve been plenty)

Message 38 of 52
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@missjenniferd1 wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

@missjenniferd1 wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

Yeah, the only extra gift cards i have are shell gift cards, so thats all i would be discussing. Anyway i can just google about selling the gift cards, so no problem. But i wanna thank you for all your input. Even though it was a no go, i appreciate your kind replies, as well as the 2 other commenters. The third guy was rude, and was a real disappointment to a new person like me, but hey, theres always one in every bunch, so im not surprised.

At least now i feel as though ive researched it out and may as well close the 2 usaa cards, but i have that new 2.5% everything with them as well, so maybe theyll put the extra credit lines over to that card.

This discussion also gave me the idea of selling the extra gc's which has actually been great, because id never thought of it. I didnt think there would be a demand for it (its not that much of a discount, why not do gift card specials at retailers), but hey, if theres a need, then im happy because i had started to feel i couldnt do those gc deals at publix anymore because i wasnt using the gc's up fast enough, and was getting an accumulation, but if i sell them, ive still got an awesome deal, without the accumulation!!

I went to amex and got my yearly summary, its only ,$1700 so since i dont shop dept stores ever, the preferred wouldnt be the way to go, but while i was on the site, it had an offer to upgrade the existing card to preferred, and id qualify for the new cardholder signon bonus. I was considering applying for a new bcp so i could get the first year free, and get $6000 in gcs then just downgrade that one but it doesnt appear that they waive the first year anymore.but since i dont have to apply and can simply upgrade and get the sign on bonus, that would pay the annual fee. By the next year, i can downgrade that card, and hopefully chase will allow me to downgrde my sapphire to a chase freedom, and i will have 2 chase freedoms, which would be plenty to cover my grocery spend, as well as the added expense of when i do the gift card deals (which is the reason the $1500 on chase freedom wasnt enough for me, if it were just groceries, wouldve been plenty)

It looks like you have a sound plan that will be a good fit for you.  FWIW, I'm not aware of Amex ever waiving the first-year AF on the BCP (at least not for the last few years) so if you can get a bonus for the upgrade to put toward the AF that's a really good deal (IMO).  Like you say, the bonus could go toward the AF, and who knows, you might find that it will work for you (and if not, just downgrade next year).

I also have the Limitless, and it's one of my favorite cards; actually my top-three are BCP, Limitless, and Discover. 

If you decide to move forward with the BCP upgrade, come back here and let us know!  Smiley Happy

Message 39 of 52
missjenniferd1
Valued Member

@UncleB wrote:

@missjenniferd1 wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

@missjenniferd1 wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

It looks like you have a sound plan that will be a good fit for you.  FWIW, I'm not aware of Amex ever waiving the first-year AF on the BCP (at least not for the last few years) so if you can get a bonus for the upgrade to put toward the AF that's a really good deal (IMO).  Like you say, the bonus could go toward the AF, and who knows, you might find that it will work for you (and if not, just downgrade next year).

I also have the Limitless, and it's one of my favorite cards; actually my top-three are BCP, Limitless, and Discover. 

If you decide to move forward with the BCP upgrade, come back here and let us know!  Smiley Happy

Just called usaa about reallocating the credit limits... No ma'am, we dont do that..... Smiley Sad

Maybe if i close the other 2 cards, theyll bump me up on the limitless. Either way, im happy with my limit, so it didnt really matter.

Yes, i think im going to upgrade to bcp right now actually, absolutely no reason not to since the bonus more than pays the annual fee.

I will get $6000 in gcs which is basically 4 years worth of $1500 chase freedom grocery spends!!! Should tie me over for quite a while!!! Smiley Happy

And i will still do my $1500 chase spend when it rolls around again..

Its a shame discover doesnt do a grocery quarter, i used to have the us bank rotating one too, but they didnt have a grocery quarter either. I camcelled the usbank one when they stopped the charity 5%, that was the only reason i had it.

Amyway, i will let you go, i didnt realize it was 4th of july and im sure youve got better things to do than help me solve my problems, lol!!!

Thank you so much youve been great, gonna upgrade my blue cash now, i think its gonna let me do it online!!! Ps ive got an uncle named uncle b!!! Thats really what we call him!!! Uncle b!!! You dont live in hawaii do you, you might be my uncle!!

Message 40 of 52
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.