Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

bk and credit card approval

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

bk and credit card approval

Does anyone have an experience on if any major cc will approve you with a score over 650 when you filed bk 3 1/2 yrs ago? seems like they ask whether you filed bk and if so dont apply sometimes.

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

Re: bk and credit card approval

@Anonymous wrote:

Does anyone have an experience on if any major cc will approve you with a score over 650 when you filed bk 3 1/2 yrs ago? seems like they ask whether you filed bk and if so dont apply sometimes.

Some banks will, other won't 

Capital One or HSBC (Orchard or Household) are likely to approve, (especially the secured cards).

search for "BK friendly" and you should find more posts 

Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

With that score and the BK being so long ago, you have several options. Barclay's iTunes is a definite possibility. Captial One Cash Rewards for average credit also. Possibly GEMB cards too. You're far enough away from your BK you should be able to skip First Premier and Orchard Bank.

Message 3 of 11
sandman2435
Established Contributor

Check with a credit union..but be ready to show proof of income..credit unions are more BK friendly than some of the banks

Message 4 of 11
AndySoCal
Valued Contributor

If you go to  Capitol One web site they define credit history thye are looking for their cards. From my reading  you would qualify for thier definition of average or rebuilding credit. Read thier definition then see if any of their cards amkes sense for you.

FICO Scores XPN v8 802 V2 831 (SDFCU) TUC 803 v8 EFX 807 (10/2023)
Discover 09/90 19,000, JCPenney 10/2008 4,700 US Bank Cash 12,000 Citibank Custom Cash 5/2015 11,100 State Dept. FCU 15,000 06/2023 , 02/2024 Redstone FCU Signature VISA 10,000 Banking: Ally Bank Credit Unions: Lafayette FCU Fortera FCU State Department FCU Pelican CU

Pelican State CU Redstone FCU

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think you can and possibly have a chance for a bank to approve you as well...It also depends which CR they use as well, I filed bankruptcy like 7 years ago, and only till about an year ago was I able to start getting credit cards. The reasons for the decline, was too many inquiries, or CL not high enough on current cards, I honestly think that the top two factors, that are considered is: (1) score (2) inquiries you have on your reports, and of course how many cards you have now with a high CL will help as well.

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

ya ive had orchard bank and capitol one for a few yrs now. just fig since im getting credit my score back up there maybe i can get a better card

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you already have Orchard and Cap1, I would go for Barclay's iTunes or a credit union. make sure, however, that your util is below 10% before applying for a new card. Your BK is aging, but a lower util will definitely help the approval process.

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

OP - Anything else holding your score down besides the BK?

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

no shouldnt be. im in 670's and said in simulation tool when i pay off rest of cc balance will be 692-713. I havent heard of the barclays itunes one. ill check it out

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.