Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

blacklisted or not??

tag
jcstarkey8826
Established Contributor

blacklisted or not??

I apped for a discover recently with all of my others so that they age off together. I have a paid discover CO from 2008. (college... ugh)

They denied me, but the reason listed was my previous account CO and then went on to list others, but they did a hard pull.

from what ive read on here, if they do a HP then you arent BL, but they listed it as a reason. Does that just mean thats one of the reasons, but It wont keep me from it eventually maybe? Little confused sorry.

In my wallet: Discover it 6800 CL, Capital One Quicksilver Sig 5k CL, Chase Freedom 4k CL, GCU Patinum Visa 1500 CL
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Tommy5746
Regular Contributor

Re: blacklisted or not??

@jcstarkey8826 wrote:

I apped for a discover recently with all of my others so that they age off together. I have a paid discover CO from 2008. (college... ugh)

They denied me, but the reason listed was my previous account CO and then went on to list others, but they did a hard pull.

from what ive read on here, if they do a HP then you arent BL, but they listed it as a reason. Does that just mean thats one of the reasons, but It wont keep me from it eventually maybe? Little confused sorry.

@jcstarkey8826 wrote:

I would say if they listed it as a reason then yes... If they hadnt mentioned the CO then i would say you arent... BUT it may a temp blacklist... Ive seen instances where people were denied credit due to a black list.. then as years went on the blacklist was dropped and they were able to apply again..

Goal: 700 and an Amex Card!

Chicks Dig Guys With Good Credit Smiley Happy
Message 2 of 8
WhiteCollar
Established Contributor

Some companies keep an internal list. So just b/c the account may have reached the statue of limitations and fallen off your CR's, it does not mean your former creditor has forgotten about your past relationship.

Message 3 of 8
jcstarkey8826
Established Contributor

@WhiteCollar wrote:

Some companies keep an internal list. So just b/c the account may have reached the statue of limitations and fallen off your CR's, it does not mean your former creditor has forgotten about your past relationship.

It hasnt even fallen off of my reports. Ive just read conflicted views on it. Some say if they do a HP you arent blacklisted, but they did a HP so I was confused.

In my wallet: Discover it 6800 CL, Capital One Quicksilver Sig 5k CL, Chase Freedom 4k CL, GCU Patinum Visa 1500 CL
Message 4 of 8
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@jcstarkey8826 wrote:

@WhiteCollar wrote:

It hasnt even fallen off of my reports. Ive just read conflicted views on it. Some say if they do a HP you arent blacklisted, but they did a HP so I was confused.

Honestly I take those reports with a grain of salt.  There's no reason that just because you're blacklisted implies that you won't get a HP, only that a specific lender kicked your application out before doing an inquiry.

In fairness, a HP is designed to indicate that you're seeking new credit, so in this case a HP is entirely plausible and permissible.  I tend to err on the side of always expecting a HP for any CLI/application of any sort, even if many people report that it's a SP here on the forums or from the CSR's directly.

        
Message 5 of 8
LS2982
Mega Contributor

More than likely your blacklisted. Can you pay back the old debt?

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 6 of 8
jcstarkey8826
Established Contributor

@LS2982 wrote:
More than likely your blacklisted. Can you pay back the old debt?

The debt is/was paid back. I figured I would be, and Im ok with the HP. Was just confused by posts stating otherwise.

Message 7 of 8
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

I've seen it widely reported on here that Amex will cancel an application without a HP if you are on their blacklist.  That one's been reported enough to seem fairly reliable.  Recently, I've seen people stating it as a general rule that if you are blacklisted with any creditor, you don't get a HP.  It's unclear to me whether the latter is well substantiated or whether people are assuming that Amex's policy applies more broadly.  I'm not saying there aren't specific threads re blacklists and Discover, Chase, etc.  I just don't recall them.

ETA: Try a recon explaining that you paid the CO and would like a chance to reestablish a relationship with them.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.