Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

**bleep** Capital One Fraud Alert

tag
krisssmmm
Regular Contributor

**bleep** Capital One Fraud Alert

I randomly decided to check my CO account, I haven't been using them since I got my Discover + Amex. Apparently my card is restricted b/c someone tried to use my card in Miami (I'm in NY). Had I not randomly signed into my account, I wouldve just been embarrassed and confused while trying to use my card. I'm still waiting on the longest hold time ever. I checked my e-mail and texts and I haven't received one alert about this. Capital One usually is my favorite, but this is pissing me off.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

Re: **bleep** Capital One Fraud Alert

Well this is usually why I tend to check my account daily even if they are cards I don't even use.

My Cards: Amex BCE: $9,000, Amex Hilton HHonors: $2,000, Amex ED: $12,000, Barclays NFL extra points: $3,000, Bank of America MLB cash rewards: $17,000, BBVA compass NBA Amex triple double rewards: $17,000, Chase Amazon: $1,000, Chase Freedom: $9,000, Chase Sapphire: $5,000, Chase Slate: $5,000, Chase Disney: $4,000, Citi Double Cash: $5,400, Citi AA plat: $5,500, Citi Simplicity: $3,000, Citi Thank you preferred: $8,800, Capital one GM: $2,000, Capital one PlayStation: $3,000, Gamestop: $1,150, Amazon Store: $5,000, Ebay MasterCard: $5,000, American Eagle Storecard: $750, Macy's: $500
EX: 744, TU:750, EQ: 740
Message 2 of 8
krisssmmm
Regular Contributor

@Closingracer99 wrote:

Well this is usually why I tend to check my account daily even if they are cards I don't even use.

Now I will. I'm used to get alerts from Chase if something fishy is going on or suspected. I just don't know why they wouldn't give me a heads up. How embarrassing if I went to use that card and was declined.

Message 3 of 8
driftless
Valued Contributor

@krisssmmm wrote:

I randomly decided to check my CO account, I haven't been using them since I got my Discover + Amex. Apparently my card is restricted b/c someone tried to use my card in Miami (I'm in NY). Had I not randomly signed into my account, I wouldve just been embarrassed and confused while trying to use my card. I'm still waiting on the longest hold time ever. I checked my e-mail and texts and I haven't received one alert about this. Capital One usually is my favorite, but this is pissing me off.

I don't think that you should be pissed off at Cap One, I think that you should be pissed off at yourself for not setting up alerts to text/email you when this problem first arose.

Post-Script: set up the alerts so that you are notified, instantly, when your card is used for a purchase of $1.00 or more.

CSR | Amex Platinum | EDP | QS (2)
Amex Blue Business Plus
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Closingracer99 wrote:

I 'get' where you're going but DAILY is too tall a burden for a client to HAVE TO check in order, to be informed.

Yes clients should take some responsibility but in today's world of email, text alerts and 'other' communications

(if THEY want something) it's not unreasonable to expect a shout out from a company you 'partner' with.

Again, a few times as little as once or twice a month should be ENOUGH coupled with signing up for the tools

offered by these billion dollar FINANCIAL companies shouldn't require a DAILY check on top of all that....

Message 5 of 8
TimeToRecover
Established Contributor

I know it feels like a hassle but i would much much rather have a false alert placed on my card then have someone run up 1000's of dollars in charges.  

I had BOA put one twice in a row because i travel for work weekly and although i had been doing it for 2 years something flagged as a warning in their system.  Yes a little bit of a hassle but had it been a real fraud I would have been happy.  

So that is the view i take.  A little inconvience to save me in the long run...

Just my 2 cents worth on the subject

Starting Score: 570 ish
Current Score:EX (701) EQ (711) TU (705)
Goal Score: 750
In My Wallet: GE Care Credit (8K) BestBuy (6K) BofA Cash Rewards Signature Visa (7K) Cap One Quicksilver (10.5K) Chase Freedom (4K) Lowes (6K) VS Angel Card (2.4K), Macys (4K)
Message 6 of 8
krisssmmm
Regular Contributor

@driftless wrote:

@krisssmmm wrote:

I don't think that you should be pissed off at Cap One, I think that you should be pissed off at yourself for not setting up alerts to text/email you when this problem first arose.

Post-Script: set up the alerts so that you are notified, instantly, when your card is used for a purchase of $1.00 or more.

I do have email and text alerts that's why I was irritated. I have the app too and I get notifications all the time. 

Message 7 of 8
krisssmmm
Regular Contributor

@TimeToRecover wrote:

I know it feels like a hassle but i would much much rather have a false alert placed on my card then have someone run up 1000's of dollars in charges.  

I had BOA put one twice in a row because i travel for work weekly and although i had been doing it for 2 years something flagged as a warning in their system.  Yes a little bit of a hassle but had it been a real fraud I would have been happy.  

So that is the view i take.  A little inconvience to save me in the long run...

Just my 2 cents worth on the subject

I absolutely agree. I appreciate they shut it down and declining charges, I just would've appreciated a heads up when I get nonstop notifications of  other stuff via app, text and email. 

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.