Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

blue cash preffered amex card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

blue cash preffered amex card

anyone have one of these cards (blue cash preffered card) ? rewards seem good, didnt know how hard it is to get? has a $75 annual fee tho

Message 1 of 46
45 REPLIES 45
alph4
Regular Contributor

Re: blue cash preffered amex card

Probably one of the best rewards cards for families since it has 6% back at grocery stores.   The $75 annual fee will be worth it if you spend enough on the card to compensate.  There is also the free version with less rewards. I personally use it enough to more than compensate for the fee vs the free version, but depending on your spending patterns it might or might not work for you.

I originally got approved for the card about 3.5 years ago when it was just the "Blue Cash." Last time I checked my scores it was an EQ fico of 803 I believe.  It is going to be more difficult to get than say the Zync, but I've heard AmEx approval standards aren't as stringent as they used to be.

Good luck!

Current Cards:
American Express Blue Cash Preferred - March 2007 - CL $10,000
Citi Forward Visa Signature - September 2009 - CL $6,500
Chase Freedom - March 2011 - CL $15,000
Chase Sapphire Preferred - May 2013 - CL $12,500
Discover It - November 2013 - $5,000
Barclay Arrival - January 2014 - $10,000
Message 2 of 46
DI
Super Contributor

@alph4 wrote:

Probably one of the best rewards cards for families since it has 6% back at grocery stores.   The $75 annual fee will be worth it if you spend enough on the card to compensate.  There is also the free version with less rewards. I personally use it enough to more than compensate for the fee vs the free version, but depending on your spending patterns it might or might not work for you.

I originally got approved for the card about 3.5 years ago when it was just the "Blue Cash." Last time I checked my scores it was an EQ fico of 803 I believe.  It is going to be more difficult to get than say the Zync, but I've heard AmEx approval standards aren't as stringent as they used to be.

Good luck!

AMEX  not as stringent because it  wants to keep its Financial Review Dept. busy.

Message 3 of 46
tntexans72
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

anyone have one of these cards (blue cash preffered card) ? rewards seem good, didnt know how hard it is to get? has a $75 annual fee tho

Do you have a family? Like OP say, this card will be ideal for a family or if you spend more than $300 per month on grocery.

Lets say you spend $300 per month on grocery.....

$300 x 12 months = $3600 annually.

6% cashback at grocery stores

$3600 x 6% = $216 cash back annually

That figure will justify the $75 AF. If you are a family of 4, your grocery bill each month would avg. around $500 x 12 months = $6000. You'll save $360 than.

Bottom line, you just have to figure out what rewards works best for you base on your spending.

Message 4 of 46
clocktick
Valued Contributor

I have it.  I don't provide for a family, however, my SO and I do a lot of grocery shopping including the local health food store that seems to be coded as a grocery store.  Between this, the gas 3% back (which beats my lousy 5 cents/gallon off Shell card) I use when not using a 5% back card, 1% off everything else and 3% department stores (plan on using a lot for Christmas), this is my go to card without a doubt.

11/30/08 TU 648 EX 672 EQ 656 SEPT 2014 TU 787 EX 789 EQ ???
Amex BCP $24.1K/Clear $8.5- Sallie Mae $27.5 -Cap One QS $7.5 - Chase Freedom $7.5/United $5k/CSP $20k/Ink- Citi DP $9.5/Dividend $13k/HHHx2 $15k/16.4/Reserve $4.5k Best Buy $1940 HD $1701- Discover IT $15k - Elan $8k GEMB Lowes $20k - Macy's $2k - Kohl's $800

Starting Score: 648
Current Score: 736
Goal Score: 765

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 5 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I got the Blue Cash Preferred just this past May, and I absolutely love it for the 6% at grocery stores! Amex is still offering the $100 "Welcome Bonus", so the AF will be covered during the first year if you're not quite certain (yet) that your spending patterns will overcome the AF.

Have you tried checking to see if you have any pre-approval offers from Amex? You can check right on their website. It doesn't necessarily mean that you'll be approved, but if you're sans any recent major derogs, you've not recently opened a ton of credit, and your utilization is low, I'd think that it wouldn't be "hard" to obtain.

Message 6 of 46
clocktick
Valued Contributor

What exactly are the terms of the $100 Welcome Bonus?  I would like to call and ask them about it.  Thanks.

11/30/08 TU 648 EX 672 EQ 656 SEPT 2014 TU 787 EX 789 EQ ???
Amex BCP $24.1K/Clear $8.5- Sallie Mae $27.5 -Cap One QS $7.5 - Chase Freedom $7.5/United $5k/CSP $20k/Ink- Citi DP $9.5/Dividend $13k/HHHx2 $15k/16.4/Reserve $4.5k Best Buy $1940 HD $1701- Discover IT $15k - Elan $8k GEMB Lowes $20k - Macy's $2k - Kohl's $800

Starting Score: 648
Current Score: 736
Goal Score: 765

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 7 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

@clocktick wrote:

What exactly are the terms of the $100 Welcome Bonus?  I would like to call and ask them about it.  Thanks.

It looks like it may be slightly modified since May, when I got it, but here it is--

• Availablefor first-time American Express Cardmembers only. (When I applied, it was available to any first time "Blue" card holder)
  • To qualify you must make $500 or more in purchases (it excludes BTs, Cash Advances, Traveler's Checks, Finance Charges & fees, and gift card purchases) within your first 90 days of Cardmembership.
  • The bonus is awarded in the form of Reward Dollars, which will be added to your Reward Dollar balance 6-8 weeks after the spend threshold is met
Message 8 of 46
tntexans72
Valued Contributor

This is the card I will app for next come January. Just playing it safe and waiting for my last Amex apped to aged 6 months than I will hit the submit button Smiley Happy
Message 9 of 46
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@DI wrote:

@alph4 wrote:

Good luck!

AMEX  not as stringent because it  wants to keep its Financial Review Dept. busy.

lol

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 10 of 46
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.