Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

boa cash rewards vs boa 321

tag
tskstorm
Established Member

boa cash rewards vs boa 321

I recently got a nice CLI on my boa Cash rewards card. I have used this card very seldomly. I am currently trying to maximize the rewards I get. I have a few recent inquires so I am not trying to add any new products at this time. I used my bankamericard cash rewards platinum plus visa to get fuel and I only got 1% back. I was under the impression my cash rewards card was the same as the 321. I called and spoke to CSR who said the cards are not the same but I can do a PC, but he suggested I keep the current card. He said with my current card when I get to $300 redemption I get a 25% bonus to $375. I do not spend 30k a year on credit cards(I spend roughly $1500/mon.) This would take me about 20 months. If I used this as my primary card for fuel and purchases. I currently use my cap1 QS as my daily use card for the 1.5% with my chase freedom and discover it for 5% category bonus. My wife (an AU on my boa) and I spend roughly $200 a month on fuel, and maybe another $100 a month on groceries(we shop warehouse, and big box stores that dont qualify mostly.)

I am not sure If it makes sense to PC to the 321 or not. I ran some rough numbers and I think it is still the correct move but looking for some advice from you guys.

Thanks

~Phil

BOA Cash Rewards 12K/Chase Freedom- 12.5k/Amex Blue sky 9k/Cap1 Quicksilver 7.5K/Citi Diamond Preferred 7.5K/Disc Walmart 6K/Chase slate 5k/Discover it 4.5K/Ashley store card 4.5K/Citi simplicity 4.4K/Barclay card 4K/Wells Fargo Platinum 3.6K/Cap1 journey 1250/ Home Depot 800

Personal loan 20K
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: boa cash rewards vs boa 321

since it is just a pc and not a new app then I would say yes do the change but still sounds like even so it will remain a back burner card for when categories are not activated on chase or discover and for grocery/gas.

Message 2 of 9
tskstorm
Established Member

Thanks.

Anyone else care to chime in ?

BOA Cash Rewards 12K/Chase Freedom- 12.5k/Amex Blue sky 9k/Cap1 Quicksilver 7.5K/Citi Diamond Preferred 7.5K/Disc Walmart 6K/Chase slate 5k/Discover it 4.5K/Ashley store card 4.5K/Citi simplicity 4.4K/Barclay card 4K/Wells Fargo Platinum 3.6K/Cap1 journey 1250/ Home Depot 800

Personal loan 20K
Message 3 of 9
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

I would product change if you keep the history of your current card. Age credit limit etc.

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 4 of 9
tskstorm
Established Member

@coldnmn wrote:

I would product change if you keep the history of your current card. Age credit limit etc.

If for some reason they don't keep the age of the account, it would be a deal breaker as this was one of the first card's I received. It would kill my AAOA. Thanks.

Personal loan 20K
Message 5 of 9
CreditUnionFan
Valued Contributor

When I looked at the Bankofamerica.com website, I only found the Cash Rewards with a 2% reward for up to $1500 of gas and groceries per quarter.

I found a link on CreditKarma for a card that claimed to offer 3% onn gasoline rewards.

At one point last year I spoke with an analyst and he told me that a PC required a HP. I found someone else who discussed contacting retention (see sticky) and it can be done...  I was able to convert an old ('99) Platinum Plus with that minimal rewards structure into the CashRewards MC without a HP. It showed on my CC as a new entry but says the date opened was '99. Smiley Happy

Caveat: It took FOREVER...  Over a month, there was no CLI with the "upgrade", and there was no sign-on bonus for the new card.

I'm not sure if I poke that bear to ask for the 3% on gasoline since I already have their old AAA card that offers 3% "Pay at the Pump", an confirmed this morning that I've met the $6,500 for the old-school Amex Blue Cash, so for the rest of the year I'll be earning my uncapped 5% on gas, groceries, and drugstores.

I was going to garden... Honest!
Message 6 of 9
tskstorm
Established Member

Well Spoke to BoA and got the card PC's to 321 card. no SP no HP just an account number change, It will still say opened in 2011. However Like stated it takes 2-4 weeks. for the new card.

Thanks for all the help.

Personal loan 20K
Message 7 of 9
wacdenney
Valued Contributor

My Bank Americard Cash Rewards Platinum Plus Visa is telling me I do get 3% back on gas for the first $1500 each quarter...

Earn more cash back on the things you buy most

• 1% cash back everywhere, every time
  • 2%  cash back at grocery stores and 3% on gas for the first $1,500 in combined gas and grocery store purchases each quarter
  • Plus, get a 10% customer bonus when you redeem your rewards directly into your Bank of America® checking or savings account, or a Merrill Edge® or Merrill Lynch Wealth Management® CMA® account.
  • Rewards are earned automatically and do not expire
Message 8 of 9
bizzyballa31
New Contributor

My BankAmericard Cash Rewards is giving me 3% on gas.  Judging by my pending rewards I'm getting 3% gas, 2% groceries and 1% everything else.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.