Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

bofa NEVER grants a CLI. why?

tag
lizabeth
Contributor

bofa NEVER grants a CLI. why?

Okay. I am DONE with this stupid 'luv button'....
I have pushed it twice in my 7 months of having this card...and also spoke with a rep once. Always denied.
Since those instances I received both a citi and discover card with (much much) higher limits.

What gives???
I paid down my previous high balance to about 12% util, which is where it stands now.
I have had a truly pathetic limit of $2,500 for 7 months now of having this card (VISA PLAT)...and I can't figure out what they don't like about me?
I have ZERO baddies, I put LOTS of usage on it, and my score is sitting at about 690-720.

A few minutes ago I pressed it and left the amount blank, and it still gave me the 5-7 day message.
Do I need to ask to switch to a different card?
I don't get it.
Message 1 of 42
41 REPLIES 41
oracles
Valued Contributor

Re: bofa NEVER grants a CLI. why?

Hi Liz

was this a secured card before?

You need to do a product change to a worldpoints visa and then you will start to see regular cli's.

Many have stated after doing a product change, they were able to start receiving cli's.

hope this helps and keep us updated

Message 2 of 42
score_building
Senior Contributor

@lizabeth wrote:
Okay. I am DONE with this stupid 'luv button'....
I have pushed it twice in my 7 months of having this card...and also spoke with a rep once. Always denied.
Since those instances I received both a citi and discover card with (much much) higher limits.

What gives???
I paid down my previous high balance to about 12% util, which is where it stands now.
I have had a truly pathetic limit of $2,500 for 7 months now of having this card (VISA PLAT)...and I can't figure out what they don't like about me?
I have ZERO baddies, I put LOTS of usage on it, and my score is sitting at about 690-720.

A few minutes ago I pressed it and left the amount blank, and it still gave me the 5-7 day message.
Do I need to ask to switch to a different card?
I don't get it.

at seven months you're done?  you are still a new customer in a recession and would do well to limit your requests to once every 6 months max.

boa, in general, will give cli's but if they decide not to do so in the first six months (unless it was a secured card, in which case you should consider a product change) waiting a minimum of 90 days would likely serve you well.

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 3 of 42
plasticguy
Established Contributor

Unless they have changed their rules, accounts must be opened for 9 months before an increase can be grantedSmiley Wink
Message 4 of 42
lizabeth
Contributor

unfortunately, it was never a secured card.

so i am just back to them hating me for unknown reasons.
Message 5 of 42
oracles
Valued Contributor

I would still do the product change and then wait and ask for a cli
Message 6 of 42
lizabeth
Contributor

actually, i asked a credit analyst. and he did in fact say 6 months of usage before they grant them. and many others have reported increases even within the first 3 months!

i will consider the product change.
thanks for the advice.
Message 7 of 42
Guardian
Valued Contributor

Although I have regular deposit accounts with BofA and I have had them for a long time and they have a considerable amount of money that goes through them and have over the years, they always tell me they want to give me a card and I used to be stupid enough to think ok, then they would decline me for no good reason whatsoever while others were giving me huge credit lines with great interest without blinking. So I decided early on that I hate BofA and I will NEVER EVER EVER ask for credit from them even if they beg me or offered me a guaranteed already issued one with a huge credit line, a matter of principle for me. So having said that, it surprises me not that they are so stingy and treat customers like crap when it comes to CLI.

Common Abbreviations|FDCPA|FCRA
Take the FICO Fitness ChallengeStarting Score: TU:695 - EQ:719 - EX:630
Current Score: TU:712 - EQ:755 - EX:712
Goal Score: TU:800 - EQ:800 - EX:800

Message 8 of 42
Anonymous
Not applicable

BofA  gave me a CLI on tuesday.  On one of my cards from a $30,000 CL to a $42,500 CL, so they are still giving out increases.  My account is 17 years old though.
Message 9 of 42
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

I think that length of credit history means a lot with them --overall personal credit history, as well as history with them.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 10 of 42
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.