cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

bonus cash back categories by leveraging Gift Cards?

tag
singulardedication
Valued Member

bonus cash back categories by leveraging Gift Cards?

For reward cards, like Amex BCE, Discover, Chase Freedom they each have bonus categories that get additional cash back.

Anyone try at a Gas Station to buy gift cards to get the higher cashback to spend elseware?  Perhaps CCs see the transations differently counter vs. pump.

Although a supermarket transaction the company may not be able to distinguish.  Last I heard state sales tax should not be charged on gift cards right?

Starting Score: TU 732 | EQ 655 | EX Plus 725 [Jan 2012]
Current Score: TU 697 | EQ 694 | EX 659 (psecu) [aPRIL 2012]
Goal Score: 760 In Aggressive paydown mode, thinking Amex BCE for 2013

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: bonus cash back categories by leveraging Gift Cards?

This is possible. However if you usually spend $100 a week and suddenly spend $1000 a week be prepared for a review.

Message 2 of 10
Open123
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

This is possible. However if you usually spend $100 a week and suddenly spend $1000 a week be prepared for a review.

Right, unless it's your pattern of spending, spending $2k/month at gas stations or $10k at supermarkets will certainly raise red flags with any issuer.

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've heard of people being able to do this with the BCP/BCE. I wouldn't just keep on buying gift cards by themselves though, since the charge rung up would always been in even increments - $25, 50, 100, etc. so it would be fairly obviously that you're abusing the system. But if you grab gift cards as part of your grocery shopping I don't think there would be an issue.

Message 4 of 10
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

The best way to do this IMO is to use the Ultimate Rewards site through Chase, if you can.

Giftcertificates.com is listed as a merchant which gives an extra 3 points per dollar spent. As a link through their own website, the extra points are guaranteed. There's a fairly large selection on that site, including restaurants, retail stores, movie theaters and travel-type cards.

I sometimes purchase Hyatt gift cards and get 4 points per dollar spent (1 normal + 3 bonus). Then when I use them at the Hyatt I get an additional 5.75 points per dollar spent (including the 15% platinum bonus). Combining the two I get almost 10 points per dollar, whereas normally I would have only received 7.75 (5.75 + 2 for travel on my CSP).

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 5 of 10
Nyru
Valued Member

I actually just called Chase and blatantly asked if it was ok to buy a bunch of gift cards to get 5% cash back and they said it was ok.

Starting Score (2/15/13): EX (fako) 583// EQ FICO 634// TU FICO 658
Current Score (5/27/14): EX FICO 719// EQ FICO 742// TU FICO 729
Goal Scores: 740 on all.
CSP- 10K, United mileage explorer- 9k, Freedom- 5k, Barclays Arrival+ W.E.- 5k, Nordstrom- 6k, Chase Hyatt- 5k, Discover it- 5k, Slate- 4.5k, Amex Blue Cash- 1k.
Message 6 of 10
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Nyru wrote:

I actually just called Chase and blatantly asked if it was ok to buy a bunch of gift cards to get 5% cash back and they said it was ok.

I doubt that this gives protection!  You would need to speak to someone who makes decisions on when to close accounts, and they almost certainly won't tell you.   People have been shut down for (their guess) buying too many Chase gift cards for example.

But buying a "reasonable" amount is probably OK, you just have to guess "reasonable".   Not much of an issue on BCP/BCE since they instituted the cap, as that really limits their exposure.    But the issuers retain the right to close your card for any or no (non-prohibited) reason.

Message 7 of 10
lithium78
Established Contributor

Since this quarter's 5% category for Discover is Online Shopping, if I buy gift cards over Amazon.com will I get 5% cashback?  Anybody know?

Starting Score: TU: 566
Current Score: TU: 741 (Discover FICO); EQ: 755 (MyFico) EX: 774 (FAKO)
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 8 of 10
enharu
Super Contributor

Yes you will get 5% for buying amazon gift cards online. Same for Costco and most other merchants as long as the purchase is made online.
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 9 of 10
FutureBillionaire
Established Contributor

@CreditScholar wrote:

The best way to do this IMO is to use the Ultimate Rewards site through Chase, if you can.

Giftcertificates.com is listed as a merchant which gives an extra 3 points per dollar spent. As a link through their own website, the extra points are guaranteed. There's a fairly large selection on that site, including restaurants, retail stores, movie theaters and travel-type cards.

I sometimes purchase Hyatt gift cards and get 4 points per dollar spent (1 normal + 3 bonus). Then when I use them at the Hyatt I get an additional 5.75 points per dollar spent (including the 15% platinum bonus). Combining the two I get almost 10 points per dollar, whereas normally I would have only received 7.75 (5.75 + 2 for travel on my CSP).

I wasn't aware of this option. Thanks for sharing.

Gas: Discover It, Penfed Platinum Rewards x2, Chase freedom, Citi TYP
Plane tickets: CSP
Groceries: AMEX BCP, Penfed Platinum Rewards,Citi TYP
Clothes: Express, Amex BCP, Discover IT
Amazon: Citi Forward, Cash +
Restaurants: Citi Forward, Chase Freedom, Discover IT, CSP
Hotels and other travel: Discover Escape, CSP
Movies: BofA travel rewards visa signature(fandango), Discover IT, Citi Forward, Freedom
Bars, clubs, tomfoolery: CSP, Citi Forward, Discover IT, Freedom
Balance transfers: Kroger 123 rewards
Bill Pay: Chase Ink Plus, Citi Forward,
Everyday spending: Bofa Accelerated cash rewards amex, Discover Escape
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.