Did you mean: 

buying a bed with credit or cash?

tag
Dustink
Valued Contributor

Re: buying a bed with credit or cash?

@longtimelurker wrote:

@DaveSignal wrote:
Who spends $8000 on a bed?  thats frivolous spending.  Get your priorities in order.

That is just rude!  I'm sure everyone has some spending that looks to others like frivolous spending.  And if, for example, the OP has a sleep disorder, getting the right bed could be the #1 priority.  And even if it is just luxury spending, that's up to the OP, who was just asking a perfectly reasonable question of how to finance a purchase....

He was replying to my bed....

Yeah, that would be frivolous spending has I not negotiated. I ended up getting like 75% off. Got it for under $3000, and they threw in the frame, matching foundation, bed protector, pillows, sheets, and delivery like 100 miles away ect ect

Still a lot of money for a bed. Not sure if I would do it again or go the route of a cheap seller online.

I guess it comes down to how well tempurpedic will honor their 20 year warranty.

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 21 of 33
jsucool76
Super Contributor

If your score is average you'll prob get approved. Its a GE card.
Message 22 of 33
pontevecchio
Established Member

This may be off base. But I do keep seeing the SERTA beds in SHOPNBC and you should at the very least look at one of the presentations. They deliver and will also accept returns on their dime up to 30 days . No personal experience though we may be buying from them in a few days.

Message 23 of 33
Dustink
Valued Contributor

@coldnmn wrote:

I bought one of these a few years ago . Love it! also bought the frame. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Spa-Sensations-12-Theratouch-Memory-Foam-Mattress-Multiple-Sizes/10086752  http://www.walmart.com/ip/Spa-Sensations-Steel-Smart-Base-Bed-Frame-Black-Multiple-Sizes/15739163

+1

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 24 of 33
kimmiller112
Frequent Contributor

Personally, when it comes to buying a mattress, I would rather make sure I have the real deal than try for a discount.  I purchased my Tempurpedic just over 2 years ago directly through them after checking out the mattress at a local store.  To me, the majority of the time, a mattress is a need and not a want, and, with the neck/upper back issues I have, I was more concerned with quality over cost.  Not once have I regretted that purchase - I love my mattress!!!.  It was $3700 and I used their financing through Wells Fargo since they were offering 0% for four years.  When I purchased it, I told myself that I would have it paid off within 6 months and ended up paying it off in four months.  If you know for sure that you will have your purchase paid off prior to the promotional financing term being over, I see nothing wrong with apping for a store card like this.

Barclays USAir World MC $8300 - DCU $7500 - USAA World MC $7000 - PayPal Extras MC (GE) $5500 - Chase Saphire Preferred $5000 - Discover It $6000 - Barclays Sallie May $2700 - Chase Freedom $1000 - Capital One $8500 (business) - store cards ranging from $500-$9500
Message 25 of 33
Dustink
Valued Contributor

@kimmiller112 wrote:

Personally, when it comes to buying a mattress, I would rather make sure I have the real deal than try for a discount.  I purchased my Tempurpedic just over 2 years ago directly through them after checking out the mattress at a local store.  To me, the majority of the time, a mattress is a need and not a want, and, with the neck/upper back issues I have, I was more concerned with quality over cost.  Not once have I regretted that purchase - I love my mattress!!!.  It was $3700 and I used their financing through Wells Fargo since they were offering 0% for four years.  When I purchased it, I told myself that I would have it paid off within 6 months and ended up paying it off in four months.  If you know for sure that you will have your purchase paid off prior to the promotional financing term being over, I see nothing wrong with apping for a store card like this.

Why did you buy it from the manufacture instead of getting a discount from the store? 

As I mentioned, I got the grandbed for under $3k. 

Sure it is more of a need than a want...but why pay more for that need than you need.

Message 26 of 33
kimmiller112
Frequent Contributor

@Dustink wrote:

@kimmiller112 wrote:

Why did you buy it from the manufacture instead of getting a discount from the store? 

Sure it is more of a need than a want...but why pay more for that need than you need.

At the time that I decided to purchase one, it was the exact same price through Tempurpedic as what was in the three local furniture stores I went into.  All three stores told me they couldn't offer a discounted price for any Tempurpedic product, so I felt that it was better to go through the company directly.  They offered better financing terms than all three of the stores and I figured that if I needed to take advantage of the warranty, that it may be better to purchase directly.

Barclays USAir World MC $8300 - DCU $7500 - USAA World MC $7000 - PayPal Extras MC (GE) $5500 - Chase Saphire Preferred $5000 - Discover It $6000 - Barclays Sallie May $2700 - Chase Freedom $1000 - Capital One $8500 (business) - store cards ranging from $500-$9500
Message 27 of 33
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@TheRealJosh94 wrote:

Hello eveyone, 

This question may seem kinda weird to ask, but I'll ask anyway. My current bed is a horrible to sleep on, and I've been on the market for a new one. The "bed" store sleepy's has a bed that I  really want. However, it's an expensive A$$ bed, but the lady told me that they're offering 0% apr for 48 months. I thought "too good to be true". I never bought a bed with a store credit card before. Should I go ahead and apply to the card and pay the bed off little by litte. I don't have full cash for a bed there until a few more months. Kinda undecided on what to do and I need your help! 

Thanks again! 

The link: http://www.sleepys.com/en/info/Financing/?051213Sale 

Its a GE account so IMO it would bew a good deal simply on you can get very nice limits and SP CLI's.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 28 of 33
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@JustMe77 wrote:

I wouldn't use their financing, because it's not the sort of account that would grow with you over time. 

More importantly, I wouldn't buy the bed until you've saved up for it. 

Incorrect. It is a GECRB account and they will grow quickly.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 29 of 33
Dustink
Valued Contributor

@kimmiller112 wrote:

@Dustink wrote:

@kimmiller112 wrote:

At the time that I decided to purchase one, it was the exact same price through Tempurpedic as what was in the three local furniture stores I went into.  All three stores told me they couldn't offer a discounted price for any Tempurpedic product, so I felt that it was better to go through the company directly.  They offered better financing terms than all three of the stores and I figured that if I needed to take advantage of the warranty, that it may be better to purchase directly.

That is a good point. Probably much easier for warranty claims.

The matress store I bought from lost tempurpedic because they were offering discounts. Hopefully I don't run into a warranty issue.

Message 30 of 33
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.