Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can I re-open closed credit card?

tag
jre
Regular Contributor

can I re-open closed credit card?

Recently closed Synchrony Bank issued credit card (formally GE). Can I have it re-opened? Who can I call?

Quicksilver x2 | Barclays | Store Cards (more than I need)

Scores: 650s
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: can I re-open closed credit card?

@jre wrote:

Recently closed Synchrony Bank issued credit card (formally GE). Can I have it re-opened? Who can I call?

Not sure of this. You may just have to reapply.

Out of curiosity though, What card was this and why do you now regret closing it?

Message 2 of 10
Luscher
Valued Contributor

Most likely no, you would have to reapply
CHASE FREEDOM | AMEX BCE | | BOFA REWARDS | CITI TYP | Quicksilver | DISCOVER IT | Sallie Mae | CHASE CSP
--------$32,000-------------$30,000-----------$30,000-----------$30,000-----$13,000---------$18,200----------$15,000---------$6,500----

FICO - TU: 780 EX: 784 EQ: 781
Message 3 of 10
jre
Regular Contributor

Thanks for the support. I don't want to re-apply because I have 22 inquiries and my utilization is high. It was a wal-mart card and I closed it without really thinking about how it would affect me.

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@jre wrote:

Thanks for the support. I don't want to re-apply because I have 22 inquiries and my utilization is high. It was a wal-mart card and I closed it without really thinking about how it would affect me.

Yikes. 22 TU inquiries?

What the heck all did you apply for to get that many?

Message 5 of 10
jre
Regular Contributor

22 in the last 2 years. Maybe 1 in the last 9 months. Wasn't very smart when I went on a couple of sprees thinking I would be improving my credit. They should fall off in another year thankfully.

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@jre wrote:

22 in the last 2 years. Maybe 1 in the last 9 months. Wasn't very smart when I went on a couple of sprees thinking I would be improving my credit. They should fall off in another year thankfully.

All I can say on this post is....It doesn't have to take that long. Smiley Wink

I understand though. Smiley Tongue

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@jre wrote:

Synchrony will not re-open a closed card in my experience. Tried a few different times in August with my Toys R Us card.

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've reopened an account I closed the next day with chase... So although everyone including lenders say it's impossible, it is very much possible and yes you can. You just have to fight for if
Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I've reopened an account I closed the next day with chase... So although everyone including lenders say it's impossible, it is very much possible and yes you can. You just have to fight for if

OP was refering to a Sync card and Synch does not do that. Other lenders have and will re-open.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.