cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can cards with emv chip be skimmed at an ATM?

tag
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

Re: can cards with emv chip be skimmed at an ATM?

One of my debit cards was recently skimmed, and it was a BIG HASSLE.  Yes, the bank gave me back my $800, but they required me to mail them a police report and a notarized affidavit.  That meant two trips to the police station and one trip to a notary public (who charged for the service).  I suspect that the skimming problem would go away if the debit cards were chip-only and did not have a magnetic strip.  Of course, that would also require that the ATM machines all switch from magnetic strip readers to chip readers.

I am also wondering what would have happened it the guy who duplicated my debit card had attempted to transfer money from my savings account to my checking account at the ATM.  I have never done that, because I prefer to do such transactions from the privacy of my personal computer at home, but I suspect it can be done.

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 11 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: can cards with emv chip be skimmed at an ATM?

@Anonymous wrote:

if you have a card with both an emv chip and magnetic strip, how can you tell if an atm card reader is chip enabled or not?  if it's chip enabled and you put your card in and leave it in without swiping, can the mag strip still be read?

Your card can still be read by a skimmer because it requires you to insert your card through the magnetic reader in order to get to the chip reader. Chip enabled ATM's hold the card during the entire transaction. 

Message 12 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.